Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

No, Someone recommended getting a boyfriend if you want some help staying warm...and then try some alcohol to keep warm as well.  As Usual DIT is embellishing and Twisting the situation as is always the case.  Unless there were other posts made that I didn't see....there was nothing that was inappropriate like Kevin is saying.

the boyfriend comment is pushing the line for a female member making her first post. like will said, maybe the person is not here in good faith anyway. the PM to Gene is definitely a little weird too.

46 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

In theory ... it's suppose to be that way operationally ...and work out that the NAM would be better. 

That's theory ... 

In practice, perhaps not so much :) 

The NAM is for whatever reason, not equal to the task doing it's part. 

But the basic philosophy is the the NAM's superior low level resolution would be better, as it would be able to see the BL cold loading more proficiently that even the Euro... which would be superior to the GFS in its own rites... 

However, as we know .. .the NAM can sometimes just not work... oy

You would think the NAM should resolve better :lol:

Hopefully when the model upgrade occurs things will improve. It's been pretty horrific the past few years (especially in spring and fall)...maybe it's always been that way but there are numerous instances all around the country where you'll have insane departure between NAM/GFS. It's almost like the NAM under mixes and the GFS over mixes. Then you have the whole issue with the NAM moistening the boundary layer during the nocturnal part of the day and the GFS will even show rather strong mixing at night (which can happen in certain situations). 

With an advancing front tomorrow though I find it hard to believe winds stay SE all day across parts of PA and NJ. Winds should go to S and then SW and that alone should prompt stronger mixing (not necessarily leading to warmth, but with winds). 

I'm only making a big deal out of this b/c part of the job is forecasting for the ground and aviation and wind direction can become rather critical...so when you have guidance all over between like SE and SW...that's huge. You would think looking at the synoptics on each model would help resolve, but mostly you just yield an outout which each model shows. You would think the NAM being a higher resolution would be better, but I think sometimes it picks up on things and puts too much emphasis on things...idk. 

My goal is to do a major "verification scheme" and then collect and compile model data, charts, etc and maybe write a forecasting book lol

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You're too much sometimes :lol: 

26 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

She started PM me and asking detailed weather questions.  I answered and even gave her some newbie advice about these boards.  Then it got weird with lots of PM's like "what should I wear tomorrow"

Pretty sure that poster PM'd a lot of people.  I got a PM but ignored it.  Seemed like a scam account and someone bored in their basement type of thing.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The sister NAMs are plenty cold for snow.

Great news!  After today's snow Im at 99".   I need 1" more and then it can stop.

29F  Moderate sleet and freezing rain. Trees glazing at bit so my theory about hard to get ice accretion in April is thrown out the window, at least at 29F

Brian, I PM'd you.  Good news they updated my VP2 location.  It will take a few days to migrate but will be more accurate.

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

Nah, he was just assuming a woman can't do a man's job of shoveling snow, etc. that's how I took it.

Again, I saw nothing that showed anything inappropriate.  Everybody is so thinned skinned now a days it's pathetic.  Nobody deserves to be harassed at all...but it's gotten to the point of lunacy in many instances lately.   

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

So mansfield is down to a paultry 90" at the stake?:D

Ha!  90" is a LONG WAY off... it's still bouncing around between 9-10 feet of rock solid concrete.

Yesterday's 5pm reading was 115".  With subfreezing temps today just adding more liquid equiv to the snowpack.

That mountain will have snow for a very long time.

Daily Hydrometeorological Data
National Weather Service Burlington VT
628 PM EDT Sun Apr 7 2019

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     0.01    39  31  37                    115

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha!  90" is a LONG WAY off... it's still bouncing around between 9-10 feet of rock solid concrete.

Yesterday's 5pm reading was 115".  With subfreezing temps today just adding more liquid equiv to the snowpack.

That mountain will have snow for a very long time.

Daily Hydrometeorological Data
National Weather Service Burlington VT
628 PM EDT Sun Apr 7 2019

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     0.01    39  31  37                    115

when does the mtn close?

32 minutes ago, dendrite said:

the boyfriend comment is pushing the line for a female member making her first post. like will said, maybe the person is not here in good faith anyway. the PM to Gene is definitely a little weird too.

Ha... 

it's a dude man - 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Again, I saw nothing that showed anything inappropriate.  Everybody is so thinned skinned now a days it's pathetic.  Nobody deserves to be harassed at all...but it's gotten to the point of lunacy in many instances lately.   

why didn’t I have a p.m lol

• Haha 1