Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion

Torch Tiger

35 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea you really need to love the winter to live out there. Not a big distance as the crow flies, but big difference in terms of climo. An approximation I use is 200-250 miles north per every thousand feet in elevation. Bridgewater NH might as well be southern Quebec.

I'm at 1500 ft and not sure how many miles North of Bridgewater so by those metrics essentially the Arctic Circle. :P

It's certainly tough to be up here and not like winter, but summers are awesome too. They just happen to be rather short. 

24 minutes ago, alex said:

I'm at 1500 ft and not sure how many miles North of Bridgewater so by those metrics essentially the Arctic Circle. :P

It's certainly tough to be up here and not like winter, but summers are awesome too. They just happen to be rather short. 

Arctic circle is the top of Mt Washington;  you’re more like Quebec City. 

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Arctic circle is the top of Mt Washington;  you’re more like Quebec City. 

Sounds about right.  Mt Mansfield at 4000-4395ft has vegetation and plants found in the Arctic, so makes sense those higher peaks in NNE are similar to Arctic circle climo.

46 minutes ago, alex said:

The one thing that stands out at your location is the radiational cooling.  I have had  5-7 nights below 0F.  You must have dozens.  So at your 1500 ft location you get the low high temps and the insane radiational cold nights being in the valley next to the river.  Add to that the upslope 150" snow totals you have the ultimate weenie spot of everyone on the boards if you factor in  cold and snow combined.  You sure picked a good spot to satisfy your craving of real winters when you moved up from Metro Boston.  I'm sure you can do without the extreme cold, however, that gets old real quick

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Yea you really need to love the winter to live out there. Not a big distance as the crow flies, but big difference in terms of climo. An approximation I use is 200-250 miles north per every thousand feet in elevation. Bridgewater NH might as well be southern Quebec.

I actually thought I had read 1000’ = 100 miles.  

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

The one thing that stands out at your location is the radiational cooling.  I have had  5-7 nights below 0F.  You must have dozens.  So at your 1500 ft location you get the low high temps and the insane radiational cold nights being in the valley next to the river.  Add to that the upslope 150" snow totals you have the ultimate weenie spot of everyone on the boards if you factor in  cold and snow combined.  You sure picked a good spot to satisfy your craving of real winters when you moved up from Metro Boston.  I'm sure you can do without the extreme cold, however, that gets old real quick

The radiational cooling is perhaps my least favorite aspect of living here. Mornings can be just brutal. I've never counted but I feel it's rare to have clear skies in the winter and not have negative lows. Someone can look at my weather station records and figure out how often it actually happens. :) But either way it's a lot more than I like!

In the summer though it's pretty awesome. I love those chilly summer mornings, where it's in the 40s when you wake up and 70s a few hours later. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alex said:

The radiational cooling is perhaps my least favorite aspect of living here. Mornings can be just brutal. I've never counted but I feel it's rare to have clear skies in the winter and not have negative lows. Someone can look at my weather station records and figure out how often it actually happens. :) But either way it's a lot more than I like!

In the summer though it's pretty awesome. I love those chilly summer mornings, where it's in the 40s when you wake up and 70s a few hours later. 

Wait until we actually get some decent summer cP airmasses again. Your area can get a freeze even in the heart of summer. HIE got below freezing twice in July 2001.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wait until we actually get some decent summer cP airmasses again. Your area can get a freeze even in the heart of summer. HIE got below freezing twice in July 2001.

That’s awful. There’s nothing worse in summer than having to bring a jacket at night . You want it warm and summery . No one wants shivering jacket wx and 40’s on any summer night 

• Like 2

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s awful. There’s nothing worse in summer than having to bring a jacket at night . You want it warm and summery . No one wants shivering jacket wx and 40’s on any summer night 

I can deal with a few upper 40s, but no thanks on a freeze killing my garden on 7/20. lol

To each his own. I enjoy cold summer nights and warm but not hot days. When I lived in Boston I always looked forward to the few chilly nights we got. The short growing season is definitely a negative, and many things just don't grow well even with nightime temps going into the 40s let alone frost, which as @dendrite mentioned can happen any time of the year (although so far since moving here we've never had frost in July, but we've had 30's every month). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If it's in the 40s in the evening, you have more to worry about than wearing a jacket.  You'd probably be heading into the 20s or 30s if it's in the 40s in the evening!

Statistically, average stations like mine in NE CT see morning lows in the 40s 15 days on average JJA.  Most of those are in June and August but it's not unheard of in July.  It's actually just about the same number of nights that we see lows 64° or higher.  We see 16 of those.

Of course there are exceptions like your hilltop that will be 5-10° warmer or even deeper hollows that are cooler but since I'm neither a hill top or valley location, I think my numbers are representative for Stafford and NE CT.

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

I can deal with a few upper 40s, but no thanks on a freeze killing my garden on 7/20. lol

Lost most of my pumpkins on 7/31/78 in Ft. Kent.  Next door, neighbor's beans died.

Average July temp here is 76/56, clear 50s evenings are great, and when the paper wasps colonize near the house, sub-50 mornings are attack time, while they're still numb.

13 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Says the dude who gets off on air conditioning blasting away in the windows ;).  

I love it, natural air conditioning for a few hours at night.  It's like 30F warmer by 9am anyway.  It's only 40s usually at like 1-5am.  Windows cracked and taking the humidity out of the house.