Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discussion

Torch Tiger

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Fire red flag warnings here, but my soil is nice and moist and easy to work. No hardpack. Wind still bringing it.

Listening to the Mass fire towers while working here; always liked their old school way of trying to give a linw or coordinates to the fire

I guess if it's absolutely not possible to do so, but I don't understand why people park their vehicles in the vicinity of trees when winds are on the strong side. I make sure there are no trees anywhere near my car...or at least make sure the car is parked far enough away that a falling tree won't touch it. Heck...even when the wind is light I'll try and avoid it. When I worked my other job in West Hartford during the summer everyone would fight to park under a tree to get shaded while I would park clear of any trees...they would ask me why I did that and I told them and they were like "ahhhh that's smart". 

24 minutes ago, Modfan said:

Listening to the Mass fire towers while working here; always liked their old school way of trying to give a linw or coordinates to the fire

They actually still have ones in operation?  I know they rebuilt one at the summit of Wachusett a few years ago, but I didn't realize it was used.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

One of the most classic supercells I've seen in SNE on radar, trumped only by Brimfield 6/1/11. Interesting north to south motion too along the cold front. EML day with 70 dews and temps in the 90s. Just so rare. 

Yeah. I remember seeing small hail that day, though we just missed larger hail. But it was the lightning (and flooding) that was the big story that day for most of SE MA/RI. Non-stop c/g strikes for a full hour. I was watching the storm move in from an open doorway, bad idea. The very first c/g struck behind me at the telephone line outside my house, went through the house, telephone and electrical. It friesd the answering machine, struck me as it went through the sliding door I was holding. It was close and shocking to the point I never could never really visualize what happened except an explosion happened. Lifetime highlight. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I guess if it's absolutely not possible to do so, but I don't understand why people park their vehicles in the vicinity of trees when winds are on the strong side. I make sure there are no trees anywhere near my car...or at least make sure the car is parked far enough away that a falling tree won't touch it. Heck...even when the wind is light I'll try and avoid it. When I worked my other job in West Hartford during the summer everyone would fight to park under a tree to get shaded while I would park clear of any trees...they would ask me why I did that and I told them and they were like "ahhhh that's smart". 

My neighbor's house is in a wooded area.  They could take down lots of trees but I guess like the shade.  Most people I think barely pay attention to things like a wind advisory.  They might hear it on the evening news if they watch.  With a winter storm people talk and word gets around, but wind nah.  On the other hand they were home last evening and the wind was roaring through the trees so they could have done something.

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Congrats and you’ll be tired on Sunday? 

surprised you aren't tired from shoveling the 2"-4" you forecasted for yesterday 

what are we thinking for next week? I'm hedging towards a 4/87 redux sometime mid-month, but maybe it will turn out more like 4/97

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Let's not forget...last year had the same exact thing...a crumby, horrible, and brutal April...and then we quickly flipped a switch as we entered May. We had a nice thunderstorm event on the 10th, the outbreak on the 15th, and then nothing but heat and high dews. Let April be crummy...we know what's on the horizon  

Didn't you get that nice 6-8" dump early month?  I agree that the mid-month frigid mank was awful - frustrating too.  Two consecutive days with max of 31, near constant light precip resulting in modest glaze and 1/2" of IP.  If it's going to be that un-springlike, a decent snowfall would be much preferred.

Yes sir...today is decent here too.  We take.  As long as the sun is out and the wind is light it's ok.  

LOL at the boldface.  Still gusting near 40 here with U30s, and the folks in N. Maine are probably looking at a ground blizzard despite getting only 2-3" yesterday.  At 3, FVE was reporting 25° with S- and winds 37G58.

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We will be weary Saturday in the 60’s after being awake all night Friday night leering at the trees coming down.

Meh...even if you get a few hours of light rain with 31F it won't be glazing much wetbulbing down from a high in the 40s. lol at "icestorm" conditions though.