• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
April Discussion

Torch Tiger

I don't think it can be totally discounted...especially for the hills. It's not like we're talking a majorly warm air mass out ahead of it (speaking aloft). Heights still well below-average in SE Canada and if there can be interaction with the northern stream some magic could happen. You would also have to think you would get some dynamic cooling going on too. 

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

April 7 1982 Boston had a blizzard. Dry snow too. It can still happen under right conditions

April 4, 2016 was powder snow in the 20s too....even in Boston. I was working in the city that day.

April 9-10, 1996 was a wetter snow, but that was also quite a big storm....even Logan on the water had 6.4".

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

April 4, 2016 was powder snow in the 20s too....even in Boston. I was working in the city that day.

April 9-10, 1996 was a wetter snow, but that was also quite a big storm....even Logan on the water had 6.4".

Will,  don't forget the Grand daddy of all late snows.  May 1977. Huge tree damage in that storm as everything was leafed out

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Will,  don't forget the Grand daddy of all late snows.  May 1977. Huge tree damage in that storm as everything was leafed out

Yeah BOS itself at the airport didn't get much in that...only 0.5" at Logan, but even as close as Boston Common had about 4-5 inches of total paste....and of course the higher terrain in ORH county had over a foot of snow with a max of 20 inches in the highest spots.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah BOS itself at the airport didn't get much in that...only 0.5" at Logan, but even as close as Boston Common had about 4-5 inches of total paste....and of course the higher terrain in ORH county had over a foot of snow with a max of 20 inches in the highest spots.

I was only 8 but I recall 2-3” in Cambridge. 

27 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

April 7 1982 Boston had a blizzard. Dry snow too. It can still happen under right conditions

IMO concerning seasonally anomalous wintry wx, that event trails only the Octobomb.  May 1977 is a contender, but its major effect was limited in area compared to the other 2.  The Octobomb crushed areas from southern PA into Maine, adn 4/82 is the only storm I can recall (I'm sure there's others) in any season that pounded CHI, NYC, and CAR.  2 of 3 isn't uncommon but the trifecta certainly is.  My favorite obs from 4/82 was the one at the scheduled 1st-pitch time (1 PM) for the Yankees' home opener - 25°, SN+, 6" new.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro doesn't phase in quite as much northern energy....it cuts off sooner. The Ukie and GFS have the 546 height line into the trough while the Euro is like 564.

Yeah much different look on those two models despite the big jump on the euro. Euro had zero cold even up north.