• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 22-23 Storm Thread: Cabins and Pony-Os?

powderfreak

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

But you need a standard to compare to.  

I mean there's zero doubt in my mind that JSpin could average over 200" of snow a year at 495ft elevation if he cleared every couple hours all winter long.  He started doing the 6-hour thing a decade ago and continues to do so to keep his measurements consistent.  But you need some standard. 

I know I lose snowfall by not being that diligent but I've always been more concerned about the ski resort measurements than at home.  I could probably average 150" if I measured every couple hours during those multi-day light snow events.  Same with even first order stations.  Maybe ORH would average 95" if they measured every 2-3 hours during storms. 

Heck, even Ray (40/70) had his amount tossed by BOX in a big storm recently because he cleared the board.

I mean at Stowe we measure once in the morning early and once in the afternoon at the end of the ski day.  It makes sense for skiers because there are two important factors to powder skiing...how much fell since the lifts closed and how much fell during the operating day.  

The northern Greens would average 400-500" if we had some way or wanted to measure every 3 hours all the time.  

To each his own, but I just hate that the "standard" penalizes meticulousness and therefore refuse to follow it exactly. As such, I also don't see why the set standard shouldn't be questioned. I've always been one to question authority and the conventional wisdom on how things "should" be done in the interest of doing things the right way - not how one (be it an organization or individual) says it should be done.

I agree with some aspects of it such as averaging and measuring at changeover time during snow to rain scenarios, but not others like the frequency of board clearing. I do count sleet toward my totals, but not freezing rain.  If people don't accept or believe my totals, that's on them, not me. 

56 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Folks passing thru from NY to BOS must be like wtf. 0 in Manchester to 1” in Vernon, hit the hill on 84 and it looks like Stowe . And that 0.6 in Somers must be in the W part . There’s big elevation in E Somers that borders Tolland. Soapstone Mtn is at 1k where the tower is 

CONNECTICUT

...Tolland County...
   Willington             7.6   940 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Bolton                 7.3   850 AM  3/23  Media
   Tolland                7.0   821 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Mansfield              6.8   845 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Storrs                 6.5   729 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Staffordville          6.2   734 AM  3/23  Co-Op Observer
   Ellington              6.0   931 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Andover                6.0   727 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Columbia               6.0   815 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Coventry               6.0   458 AM  3/23  Trained Spotter
   Vernon                 1.0   944 AM  3/23  Ham Radio
   Somers                 0.6   744 AM  3/23  Trained Spotter

Bolton damn

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The best part is he also saw what I talk about a lot in upslope.  Where the radar "sees" the snow isn't necessarily where it falls.  Strong NW flow has considerable downwind drift so you can get +SN downwind of the actual max radar echoes. Even in areas with no echoes present.  

Happens all the time here. Even with SE flow 

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't know , he's in Florida for the winter 

I’m driving right thru that area to the indoor CFC complex this evening for younger daughters game at 6:00 in East Windsor. I go the back way. I’ll scope it out. I’d be willing to bet there’s snow on the hill in Ellington and none once you hit the Ellington Green on NW

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m driving right thru that area to the indoor CFC complex this evening for younger daughters game at 6:00 in East Windsor. I go the back way. I’ll scope it out. I’d be willing to bet there’s snow on the hill in Ellington and none once you hit the Ellington Green on NW

Well it all melted now

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Was nice imo just to track a real coastal. One that wasn’t moving at 55mph like all have prior this year. Nice elevation snow bomb in VT N NH NW Maine and parts of Ct 

Lesser caliber bomb for Maine.  Most I saw on the GYX pns was 6.5" at Jackman.  The co-op there is at 1160' though I don't recall whether the report came from that site.  Rangeley is a bit above 1500' so may have gotten more, but I highly doubt there was anything like BML or what Alex reported.  Maybe at 3000', but I suspect that all the people living year round above 2000' in Maine could fit in a minivan.  The state's other snow jackpot region, Aroostook, got very little.  The only cocorahs report from there was HUL with 0.5", and 1.25" precip.  The pns from CAR showed RA totals, not snow.

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Officially, you are required to clear once per day and report the greatest depth of new snow. So theoretically you could measure as often as you like with no clearing, but you can only report the highest total amount. That way any inflation due to frequent measurement will ultimately compact/melt when you continue to get more snow (which replaces the previous measured total anyway). The real inflated totals come when you measure often and clear often.

Alternatively I'm not going to chide anyone for clearing every 6 hours like LCD sites do. 

Think of a case like snow to rain. We run out and do a measurement right at changeover to capture the greatest depth of new snow in the 6 hour window, but we don't clear until the 6 hours is up and we do the official ob. But since the greatest depth of new snow was at the changeover time, that's the one that gets reported.

This is what drives me nuts ......the inconsistency. I measure just as the LCD sites do, yet they tossed my measurement in the blizzard last year. How do you have two different guidelines for cohras and LCD??? Makes zero sense, and utter BS.

• Like 1