• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 22-23 Storm Thread: Cabins and Pony-Os?

powderfreak

Congratulations to those that really got the precip last night.  There was pretty much no precipitation here overnight (as I expected).  My area doesn’t do well with that type of stuff...so I was quite sure we’d be mostly dry overnight..and we were.  Nice end to the winter season for areas out east..Coventry/Tolland/Moosup etc..

Now let’s do some Spring time..and slowly get ready for next years winter..lord I hope it’s a bit better than this season was for most??  

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was getting deposited right in our BY. That’s a good 8-12 miles west as the crow flies. Fascinating to me 

I was in Granby, MA near Springfield last night after 9pm, it was dry the whole time despite radar showing moderate precip.  So all this blew 10 miles east or something like that?  

Despite the forecast, we got our usual backside snow - none.  Patch of 25 dbz passed right over our heads about 7:30 this morning according to radar, and not a flake appeared - maybe the wind blew it all to Skowhegan.  Other than the western mountains, Maine did poorly - seems like longitude was at least as important as latitude.  Temple, about 250' higher than my place, got the same 1.5" as here, while BML, less than 100' above Temple, reported 13" and it's still snowing.  The only Aroostook report I saw on cocorahs was HUL - 0.5" SN and just over 1" total precip.  My snow was followed by 0.9" cold rain with catpaws, total precip 1.1" and pack is the same as yesterday morning before things started.  March snow up to 11.5", 20-year average is 17.8".

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. Exactly what happened 

It's almost perfect honestly.

Ceilings were about 3000 ft (915 m) at HFD. Wet snow falls at 2 m/s, dry at 0.5 m/s, so let's split the difference to 1 m/s. That's 915 seconds to reach the ground after it leaves the cloud. Mid level winds were about 40kt (21 m/s) overnight. 915 s * 21 m/s = 19215 m of drift due to the background wind (11 miles!).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's almost perfect honestly.

Ceilings were about 3000 ft (915 m) at HFD. Wet snow falls at 2 m/s, dry at 0.5 m/s, so let's split the difference to 1 m/s. That's 915 seconds to reach the ground after it leaves the cloud. Mid level winds were about 40kt (21 m/s) overnight. 915 s * 21 m/s = 19215 m of drift due to the background wind (11 miles!).

And the thing is, if there was no wind , this event wouldn’t really have happened. That upslope band formed right at the base of the valley/ hills and then was deposited downwind in the hills. So it was the very rare occurrence here of a true upslope event aided by the trowal

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And the thing is, if there was no wind , this event wouldn’t really have happened. That upslope band formed right at the base of the valley/ hills and then was deposited downwind in the hills. So it was the very rare occurrence here of a true upslope event aided by the trowal

idk...that lift was higher up like H6-H7.

45 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I was in Granby, MA near Springfield last night after 9pm, it was dry the whole time despite radar showing moderate precip.  So all this blew 10 miles east or something like that?  

It was all elevation...

Those that got snow were in advantaged geography, and tend to speak about it like it's universal in tenths and prose they use... some people did get flurries and light snow in the air outside of local topographical induced banding ... but by and large, this was a nothing typical backside of cyclone March overnight.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It was all elevation...

Those that got snow were in advantaged geography, and tend to speak about it like it's universal in tenths and prose they use... some people did get flurries and light snow in the air outside of local topographical induced banding ... but by and large, this was a nothing typical backside of cyclone March overnight.

Coventry Ct  is like 350 feet and got 9 , other areas similar elevation like JC in Columbia Ct  5 to 7 ,so no

• Like 1
  • Haha 1