• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 22-23 Storm Thread: Cabins and Pony-Os?

powderfreak

That was the hairiest approach on a plane I've ever had.  Kids crying, plane jumping what felt like 10-20 feet at a time, pilot circled and came in from SE into the NW wind.  Dumping snow in the wing lights...like end of the world scene at 2-4kft based on flight info screen.  Had 65mph headwind at 4,000ft.  Pilot came on and was like "Folks don't mess around.  Make sure your seat belt is tight." 

Pilot f'ing nailed it though. Couple inches of grease it looks like on the runway with snow falling sideways.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

That was the hairiest approach on a plane I've ever had.  Kids crying, plane jumping what felt like 10-20 feet at a time, pilot circled and came in from SE into the NW wind.  Dumping snow in the wing lights...like end of the world scene at 2-4kft based on flight info screen.  Had 65mph headwind at 4,000ft.  Pilot came on and was like "Folks don't mess around.  Make sure your seat belt is tight." 

Pilot f'ing nailed it though. Couple inches of grease it looks like on the runway with snow falling sideways.

Thanks for the PIREP! LOL. 

BTV is a mess...not a lot of snow but it's pure water blue paste on the roads.  

Maybe 2-3" at most but that's why I was leaning low for accums here this time of year in a marginal air mass.  It's like stuck sideways to everything though.

I know some thought my ideas for BTV were conservative but it feels like 5:1 ratios if not less.  This time of year you lean conservative in the valley.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

BTV is a mess...not a lot of snow but it's pure water blue paste on the roads.  

Maybe 2-3" at most but that's why I was leaning low for accums here this time of year in a marginal air mass.  

I know some thought my ideas for BTV were conservative but it feels like 5:1 ratios if not less.  This time of year you lean conservative in the valley.

Glad you made it home safely. The crushing has been going on over here up through the NEK and over through Alex. 

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Delta is always the last of pretty much all the airlines that will hold out from cancelling a flight because of a storm. You fly wisely.

Nice landing btw. I belong in the much less than 1% of the population that would enjoy what you went through on approach haha. You had a very skilled pilot who's probably flown into BTV many times

• Like 1

Sounds like sleet here in Wilmington. Just back from a unwanted trip to Florida for a sudden wake. The Jet Blue flight was great until the final descent into Logan a tad bumpy and as PF’s pilot did so did ours nailed the landing with a round of applause from the college kids coming back from break. Glad I don’t have to shovel tomorrow.

That was the worst drive I've ever had on I-89.  Probably 1-2"/hr Easy of just huge flakes.  Trees bending over the highest from the weight of the snow in places.  Had to be 4-6" on the interstate itself with no plowing after midnight.  

Saw two vehicles hit guardrails in front of us...like right in front of us.  Police were attending to at least 6-8 cars off the road scattered throughout the drive.  

Temps dropping to 31-32F had the road iced up under the wet paste...as slick as it comes even in an SUV with great snow tires.  Wipers on full and only able to drive 30mph.  Holy crap that was stressful.  

BTV had 2-4" at 300ft but by 800ft at the Williston Rest Area it looked like a snow bomb went off with birch bending cake.  

Heaviest seemed to be passing JSpin's house along the interstate.  Just pure whiteout when the wind would puff up.  

Snow rates decreased by at least half on the east side and made for much easier travel up RT 100.  Snowing good at home but probably half inch per hour instead of 1-2"/hr.  There's a lot more old snow on the ground here though...still large snowpack it seems at home.  18-22" on the ground maybe in the yard?  Probably only 3-4" new from this storm but about what I expected (4-7" for Town storm total by morning).

IMG_2656.GIF

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That was the worst drive I've ever had on I-89.  Probably 1-2"/hr Easy of just huge flakes.  Trees bending over the highest from the weight of the snow in places.  Had to be 4-6" on the interstate itself with no plowing after midnight.  

Saw two vehicles hit guardrails in front of us...like right in front of us.  Police were attending to at least 6-8 cars off the road scattered throughout the drive.  

Temps dropping to 31-32F had the road iced up under the wet paste...as slick as it comes even in an SUV with great snow tires.  Wipers on full and only able to drive 30mph.  Holy crap that was stressful.  

BTV had 2-4" at 300ft but by 800ft at the Williston Rest Area it looked like a snow bomb went off with birch bending cake.  

Heaviest seemed to be passing JSpin's house along the interstate.  Just pure whiteout when the wind would puff up.  

Snow rates decreased by at least half on the east side and made for much easier travel up RT 100.  Snowing good at home but probably half inch per hour instead of 1-2"/hr.  There's a lot more old snow on the ground here though...still large snowpack it seems at home.  18-22" on the ground maybe in the yard?  Probably only 3-4" new from this storm but about what I expected (4-7" for Town storm total by morning).

IMG_2656.GIF

Sounds like a scene from the deep south...no plows and cars off the roads. I would expect better from VT folks. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like it's snowing good east of the river into weenie town along 84.

Kevin is sleeping through one of the craziest storms in a long time - 5” of snow in Tolland and near blizzard conditions with the wind and crazy snow rates 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's what he does. 5" new or total since yesterday?

It’s all new because everything we got yesterday melted here, but the drifting is insane so the average measurement is actually about 4.7 now that I walked around more.  Currently just light snow but an absolute winter wonderland out there

Just now, joey2002 said:

It’s all new because everything we got yesterday melted here, but the drifting is insane so the average measurement is actually about 4.7 now that I walked around more.  Currently just light snow but an absolute winter wonderland out there

Nice. Maybe he will pull 6-10 when all totaled lol.