• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 22-23 Storm Thread: Cabins and Pony-Os?

powderfreak

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Really wish we had some posters for that area, The snow can be prolific up there most years and no one knows unless you snowmobile the region.

Very true.  My 10 years there averaged 135", ranging from 82" in 79-80 to 187" in 76-77.  Median winter was 127.  Unfortunately, the Ft. Kent co-op has consistently under-measured; its average is 18" below that of CAR.  When we'd drive NW between the towns on Rt 161 and see the "Entering St. John Valley SWCD" sign, we knew the snowbanks would start getting taller.  For FK folks, the idea than CAR got any more snow was ludicrous, much less 1.5 feet more.

I remember his son coming on and reporting that he had a stroke but I don't recall anything else.

Cool Spruce and I were kindred spirits when it came to nature and trees - my user name is his favorite species, among other things.  We'd post back and forth frequently, more even than Jeff and I do now.  His crowning prediction (correct, unfortunately) was when he wondered if the New Years retro-bomb of 2010 would wreck the rest of winter.  Did it ever!!   That winter pretty much ended at my place at 1 AM on Jan. 3 when a decent snowstorm changed to rain because the maritime air swept in.

About 4 years or so back, I saw a Tralce post on OT - can't recall the thread.  I queried him about his dad, and got a mysterious "It's a long story" response, not what I'd hoped to hear - seemed to indicate that, at best, his dad remained very ill.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Shiiiit.  A flight into BTV just circled and then was diverted to SYR due to visibility.  That shit better stop by 8-9pm so I can land.  

At 4 PM ALB was 41 with RA - surprised the flight was bumped so far west.  (Unless it was earlier when ALB was getting some serious SN.)

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

At 4 PM ALB was 41 with RA - surprised the flight was bumped so far west.  (Unless it was earlier when ALB was getting some serious SN.)

Who knows how they decide that stuff, ha. BTV to SYR flights happen more regular than to ALB or something?  I can't imagine there's many commercial flights ALB to BTV but I know SYR to BTV happens a couple times a day as I've done that.