Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have an idea why an azalea would die suddenly?

i bought and planted in early spring and it flowered and has looked fine. Literally over the last 3 days the entire thing save for a few green branches has turned browned and dropped off.

No idea why. Other one on the other side of the stairs is fine 

Probably transplant stress. How much were you watering it?

Yeah how much water? You might have overdone it. The good news is that it’s likely ok, you’ll know next spring. Some plants just focus on the their roots when they are transplanted and deleaf. This is especially true when it’s hot like this. 

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Overwatered maybe?

2 hours ago, mostman said:

Yeah how much water? You might have overdone it. The good news is that it’s likely ok, you’ll know next spring. Some plants just focus on the their roots when they are transplanted and deleaf. This is especially true when it’s hot like this. 

Maybe? I’d like to think I didn’t overdue it... but anything is possible I suppose.

Here it is.

C332AAD9-10CF-4786-92E9-579522958F6D.jpeg

Looks like you have it mulched well. I’m not sure it needs daily watering at this point. Stick your finger under the mulch and into the ground. If the top 1-2” is dry maybe give it a deep watering and wait a few days. If it’s moist...just leave it. They’re a shallow rooted plant, but they don’t like to be overwatered either. 

I had a cherry tree lose all of its leaves last summer after I planted it in the spring, but it put out a little new growth in September and then came back fine this spring. So you’ll probably be fine. 

7 minutes ago, S&P said:

Had reports locally here of coyotes jumping 6 ‘ fences like yours and killing pets , just saying is all

Yes that's why we keep our 75 lb half pit boxer, 95 lb half St Bernard half husky, 80 lb Shepard lab mix outside when the little guys are out. There is so much wildlife up here the Coyotes are pretty busy with them, so far. 30 30 within reach at all times

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes that's why we keep our 75 lb half pit boxer, 95 lb half St Bernard half husky, 80 lb Shepard lab mix outside when the little guys are out. There is so much wildlife up here the Coyotes are pretty busy with them, so far. 30 30 within reach at all times

Lol i should have a little something extra for protection ( frowned on here), I had a not so little guy (50 lbs) get bit in the rump by a coyote back 8n February. F8ne now sucked at the time.

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sorry about hat, glad he is ok. Coyotes suck

Thanks they are what they are, we have problems with people who don’t control easy food sources for them here which attract them to Populated neighborhoods.So no surprise it’s mostly the people that suck

12 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Maybe? I’d like to think I didn’t overdue it... but anything is possible I suppose.

Here it is.

Wow.  I would tend to be with the over-watered crowd.  These don't need to be watered daily--perhaps every 2-3 days after transplant.

However, the fact that this all happened in 3 days sounds like something more dire.  Like you spilled some  Round up on it.  :)

8 hours ago, S&P said:

Thanks they are what they are, we have problems with people who don’t control easy food sources for them here which attract them to Populated neighborhoods.So no surprise it’s mostly the people that suck

Yea but living in the country and seeing coyotes kill just for the sake of kill much like Fisher cats leaves me not a fan

So yeah...found a bee nest on the edge of my lawn in the backyard. They look pretty active flying in and out of the hole in the ground. I like me some bees so I don't want to kill them. What do we have for ground nesting bees around here? They almost looked like honeybees, but I didn't get a great look since it was 8pm. Is there a humane way to get them to set up shop elsewhere?

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So yeah...found a bee nest on the edge of my lawn in the backyard. They look pretty active flying in and out of the hole in the ground. I like me some bees so I don't want to kill them. What do we have for ground nesting bees around here? They almost looked like honeybees, but I didn't get a great look since it was 8pm. Is there a humane way to get them to set up shop elsewhere?

Are they tiny, if so ground bees that wont sting

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Most ground-nesting bees are solitary, with bumblebees an exception and I'm sure you would already know if yours were bumblebees.  Another possibility is yellowjackets, especially if there are numerous critters going in and out.  Those beasts are the most aggressive of the social wasps, IMO and in my (oft-stung) experience.

Just now, tamarack said:

Most ground-nesting bees are solitary, with bumblebees an exception and I'm sure you would already know if yours were bumblebees.  Another possibility is yellowjackets, especially if there are numerous critters going in and out.  Those beasts are the most aggressive of the social wasps, IMO and in my (oft-stung) experience.

Definitely not bumblebees and pretty sure not yellowjackets. Had more of a subtle yellow/black abdomen and not the vibrant yellow of a yellowjacket. I'll try to get a pic today.

43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Definitely not bumblebees and pretty sure not yellowjackets. Had more of a subtle yellow/black abdomen and not the vibrant yellow of a yellowjacket. I'll try to get a pic today.

Too small for yellowjackets.  Ginx is probably correct, and there are many such species native to our region.

regarding Dendy's bees, you would know if they were yellow jackets, as you would have been stung by now. nasty little f-ers. there is another ground bee that I have recently seen that burrows into the ground and builds their nest in sandy soil. you can tell by the piles of sand next to the holes. there are likely a lot of them, but they are very docile. sand wasps

1 minute ago, SJonesWX said:

regarding Dendy's bees, you would know if they were yellow jackets, as you would have been stung by now. nasty little f-ers. there is another ground bee that I have recently seen that burrows into the ground and builds their nest in sandy soil. you can tell by the piles of sand next to the holes. there are likely a lot of them, but they are very docile. sand wasps

I think this must be what we have in a couple of sand traps at the golf course I play at.  I wasn't sure what they were so we marked those bunkers as free drop areas for a tournament this weekend.  Didn't want to chance anyone getting stung.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Lisa got a pic. Guess I was wrong in the dim light last night. Looks like yellowjackets. Nuke’em?

45C607C2-D344-46C0-AED7-4D903DB0050C.jpeg

Yup.  Those underground nests can grow to thousands of YJ.  See if you can get the nest at dusk or dawn when the majority of them are in the nest.