Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Is this just thatch? We've had plenty of rain and the lawn looks dry in spots. I posted this in the NNE thread by accident, but got some suggestions for this lawn issue. Someone said red thread, but it's not that. Also suggested was to dig up a 6"x6" crap spot and compare the roots to a good spot. I've checked before for grubs and we've never had them, so not sure that what it is. We have three sections of lawn, all seeded with different variety. The other two look decent with no straw-like appearance, but the original seeded lawn, done by our builders in 2013 in these photos is the question.

12524c4f60477067dd4e65f1fb9d67a6.jpgfa9a4cb8ae6fa4103f1706499af8cd61.jpg

Could just be a KBG or Fine Fescue that's gone dormant for the Summer.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, Great Snow 1717 said:

How often do you mow?

I try not to let it get too high maybe to 6” max and mow at 4 so it depends on the weather on how often. I alternate the ‘angles of attack’ every mow to get the criss cross look too.

I wish I had a pic from last year, yuck, to show the big improvement.

18 hours ago, amarshall said:

Had a lot of burn patches I couldn't figure out.  Have rachio on my phone to control the irrigation and the startup guys turned off like 4 zones.  No idea why.  

rachio is the best thing since sliced bread. it's a great system (when all the zones are turned on). 

10 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

How much did the irrigation system cost you?

irrigation can really vary in price from different installers. some place the heads fairly close together, some place them farther apart. why does that matter? because your irrigation system is typically priced per head. the closer the heads are, the more that are required. a friend got 3 prices when getting his installed. 2 of them were twice as costly as the 3rd one was. the 3rd one was the guy who spaced the heads pretty far apart. it was literally more than half the price than the other 2. he still gets good coverage, although it may be a little thin. but makes you wonder why those other guys put the heads so much closer. 

7 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

rachio is the best thing since sliced bread. it's a great system (when all the zones are turned on). 

irrigation can really vary in price from different installers. some place the heads fairly close together, some place them farther apart. why does that matter? because your irrigation system is typically priced per head. the closer the heads are, the more that are required. a friend got 3 prices when getting his installed. 2 of them were twice as costly as the 3rd one was. the 3rd one was the guy who spaced the heads pretty far apart. it was literally more than half the price than the other 2. he still gets good coverage, although it may be a little thin. but makes you wonder why those other guys put the heads so much closer. 

Previous owners installed the system. I've added a few zones.   The previous owners got taken to cleaners. Completely unnecessary heads.  

I added Rachio after my rain gauge sensor sh1t the bed.   It's already given me a skip tonight due to .88 " of rain forecasted. 

8 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Previous owners installed the system. I've added a few zones.   The previous owners got taken to cleaners. Completely unnecessary heads.  

I added Rachio after my rain gauge sensor sh1t the bed.   It's already given me a skip tonight due to .88 " of rain forecasted. 

How does the install work on those? Did you just take off your old controller and swap in the Rachio? Did you also add the flow meter?

Just now, mostman said:

How does the install work on those? Did you just take off your old controller and swap in the Rachio? Did you also add the flow meter?

very simple install, just swap the controllers. don't know about flow sensor, but the rain sensor is just as easy to install. 

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Wracking my brain.  Is it a ground cover?  Or is it more ornamental?

Ground cover and everywhere.  I trim it back near the lawn but it grows like crazy everywhere else. Very pretty in full sun. Tiny looks like lupines but very tiny flowers. They stay purple almost all summer too

Just now, dendrite said:

Petunias are tropical. They're not going to survive a winter. If you have one hanging nearby you could lose a branch or two and it could root into the ground.

I did not plant these and have no Petunias, just grew this year in a bed I let wild stuff grow. Never saw then before 

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Something I usually mow over.

They make nice ground cover. I used to mow this area near the road but let it grow this year. I have become more concious of local wild flowers, instead of mulch. I trim weeds out and let ground cover fill in. Some areas have just grass that I trim.

Screenshot_20190718-090343_Gallery.jpg

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

They make nice ground cover. I used to mow this area near the road but let it grow this year. I have become more concious of local wild flowers, instead of mulch. I trim weeds out and let ground cover fill in. Some areas have just grass that I trim.

That helps.  It's called Smartweed.  As the name says, it's a weed.

http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/Survival/Pages/smartweed.html

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah there's that saying that a weed is anything that grows where you don't want it to. That particularly flower (not sure what it is) just happens to like coming up in my lawn, but it does look nice in a shaded wooded area. I've been focusing on planting things that aid pollinators and hummingbirds recently. I've had a ton of ruby throats this year. 

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

What do I do with this crabapple? Looks like sapsucker lunch. Is there a worthwhile way to treat it or if it dies, it dies?

image1-5-e1447642298567.jpg

30445E03-3A7B-4A60-8C30-D26851838A46.jpeg

5FF0428A-84B3-4425-B74B-811C7CEB11C5.jpeg

CE8E5A6D-FFB7-4BB5-987F-3567C18A0678.jpeg

A lot depends on how healthy the tree was prior to the attack. And if it can heal.  Clearly there are many holes in the tree.   Old timers would attempt to save such a tree by spraying it with a mix of water and mild anti bacterial  soap.  I've seen some use deer repellent in an attempt to ward off woodpeckers. And in some cases I've seen trees be wrapped with burlap in an attempt to lessen further damage and to allow the tree time to heal. 

31 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yeah there's that saying that a weed is anything that grows where you don't want it to. That particularly flower (not sure what it is) just happens to like coming up in my lawn, but it does look nice in a shaded wooded area. I've been focusing on planting things that aid pollinators and hummingbirds recently. I've had a ton of ruby throats this year. 

This garden runs 100 feet along the Eastern edge of the property.  Last 5 years I mulched the beds but this year I just let it grow. We have mint to the right and other plants like Hosta but the high growing weed in the back I have no idea what it is.  I kept the chain link fence and attached the wooden one to it because I was afraid of blow down. The last thing I want is to lose a dog, ours or fosters.  There are a lot of coyotes here too. It may not look great inside but there safety is paramount.  450 feet up so far but I had 175 left when my back blew out. Friends and Family are going to finish it once it cools. Anyways I am pleased with the garden.  Also have a raised bed 12 by 12 of herbs and vegetables and I heavily weed that.

Screenshot_20190718-102312_Gallery.jpg