Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,499
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Rhino16
    Newest Member
    Rhino16
    Joined
Damage In Tolland

Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

They don't usually fall until late summer though, correct?

I'd call it midsummer, and the maples tend to drop all their seeds over a relatively short period.  White ash is different - seeds mature mid-late summer but many hang on into winter.  Looks to be a huge crop for them this year, maybe like 1992 when the north side gales around the December bomb covered our entire yard with ash seeds (and not a single snowflake), at least 20 per sq.ft., and next spring it was like every one germinated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Migrated SE to find better food source? lol I have no idea. I haven’t seen one yet and usually they’re hanging out on the deck sipping a beverage by now.

Its really strange. Literally havent seen a single one. Heard from many other people in CT the same thing. Something must have wiped most of them out. I have seen a huge increase in red tailed hawks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I'd call it midsummer, and the maples tend to drop all their seeds over a relatively short period.  White ash is different - seeds mature mid-late summer but many hang on into winter.  Looks to be a huge crop for them this year, maybe like 1992 when the north side gales around the December bomb covered our entire yard with ash seeds (and not a single snowflake), at least 20 per sq.ft., and next spring it was like every one germinated.

Nice. I'll keep a look out. My native red maples produces some very red samaras this year, but the one I got from the box store (atumn blaze from Lowes I believe) produced a more tan samara...not sure what that means. So should we be able to tell if the sugar ones are forming now or is it 3-4 weeks for that? I'll have to get my binoculars out and look at the crown of the sugar out from to see if there are any hanging. :weenie:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Its really strange. Literally havent seen a single one. Heard from many other people in CT the same thing. Something must have wiped most of them out. I have seen a huge increase in red tailed hawks? 

The hawks are loving the backyard chicken craze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Nice. I'll keep a look out. My native red maples produces some very red samaras this year, but the one I got from the box store (atumn blaze from Lowes I believe) produced a more tan samara...not sure what that means. So should we be able to tell if the sugar ones are forming now or is it 3-4 weeks for that? I'll have to get my binoculars out and look at the crown of the sugar out from to see if there are any hanging. :weenie:

Since Autumn Blaze is a hybrid between red and silver maples, its seeds would probably share characteristics of each.  Red maple seeds are among the lightest of any maple while those of silver are among the heaviest, 10-15 times as heavy as red maple.  As you've noted, red maple seeds have reddish wings.  Silver maple wings tend toward lime green.  Maybe if you mixed paint of similar colors, it would be some shade of brownish?  Sugar maple is 3-4 times heaver than red, 1/3-1/4 the weight of silver.  If there are any Norway maples around, they produce big seed crops of relatively large seeds which drop about the same time as those of red maple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BrianW said:

Its really strange. Literally havent seen a single one. Heard from many other people in CT the same thing. Something must have wiped most of them out. I have seen a huge increase in red tailed hawks

Interesting. You’d think they have plenty of squirrels as food source though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, dendrite said:

We boo. You can see where the old culms were topkilled above the snow line. I’ll probably cover them next winter.

3740FBAB-99CA-4A1F-AA99-18E3AA8C6F25.jpeg

Shoots grew about a foot yesterday. This was last night. I’m interested to compare last night to today after almost an inch of rain. 

B22D934D-52C6-4F0A-8938-0670B74E066D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally had a window to drop my 2nd round of fertilizer/weed.  Couple weeks behind when I’d like to but it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dropped Lesco round 2 Sunday eve. Everyone’s got some red thread in SNE with wet spring . This will take care of that .

No red thread here. Up until today, I had only seen about 2/3” of rain since May 25th.  Was getting pretty dry with all the Spring growth absorbing all the surface moisture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dropped lesco couple of weeks ago for round 2. Yard is about as lush as I can remember. Even though May was just over 4" rain, it was timely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It only took a year and a half but we (I) finally got around to planting at the new house. Two 10x3' beds on either side of the front door, and another 12x3' bed on the side of the house that is really visible from the street. 

The good news is I have 96 ft sq. ft. less to mow, the bad news I had 96 sq. ft of lawn to dig up. 

Now I just need to figure out what I can plant along the edge with the "wetlands" that is prettier to look at than weeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It only took a year and a half but we (I) finally got around to planting at the new house. Two 10x3' beds on either side of the front door, and another 12x3' bed on the side of the house that is really visible from the street. 

The good news is I have 96 ft sq. ft. less to mow, the bad news I had 96 sq. ft of lawn to dig up. 

Now I just need to figure out what I can plant along the edge with the "wetlands" that is prettier to look at than weeds.

http://www.cattails.info/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It only took a year and a half but we (I) finally got around to planting at the new house. Two 10x3' beds on either side of the front door, and another 12x3' bed on the side of the house that is really visible from the street. 

The good news is I have 96 ft sq. ft. less to mow, the bad news I had 96 sq. ft of lawn to dig up. 

Now I just need to figure out what I can plant along the edge with the "wetlands" that is prettier to look at than weeds.

Pics??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks!  I wish I could take credit for it, but we hired out for it.  If I didn't have a wedding to pay for I'd be up for getting more plants.  :)

Save room to replenish the american chestnut. :weenie:

https://theconversation.com/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-the-decimated-iconic-tree-52191

T-2 years if the estimate I've heard from the rumor mill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

 

We're getting there.  Now the watering and waiting....Looks better in real life.

getting there 1.jpg

getting there 2.jpg

getting there 3.jpg

getting there 4.jpg

Wow. 100x more functional. Doggo seems pleased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mostman said:

Wow. 100x more functional. Doggo seems pleased. 

It does the trick!  I'm happy we have some cool (or at least not hot) wet weather the next few days to help with the germination.

I have quickly accepted that any efforts to keep her from walking/peeing/pooping in the seeded area are doomed to fail.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dendrite said:

Save room to replenish the american chestnut. :weenie:

https://theconversation.com/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-the-decimated-iconic-tree-52191

T-2 years if the estimate I've heard from the rumor mill.


We have two chestnut trees (they're behind the garage in an overgrown area so they hardly are even noticed.  I only did because I saw their blossoms.  I'm not sure if they're american chestnut or horse chestnut.  I'm no intending to walk through the poison ivy to find out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mostman said:

Wow. 100x more functional. Doggo seems pleased. 

Was the yard just weeds? Looks like the previous owners didn’t care about anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Pics??

I'll try and grab some when I get home from work.

The greenhouse/nursery was a little overwhelming, but we ended up going with (from inside to outside off the front door) a golden cone juniper, bloomstruck hydrangea, and avalanche lily of the valley. On the side of the house we have an azalea bracketed by two spirea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lawn is lush with green nudity. I have a few areas with weeds trying to poke through, but I'll treat those later. Really happy overall. Hope the faucet doesn't shut off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:


We have two chestnut trees (they're behind the garage in an overgrown area so they hardly are even noticed.  I only did because I saw their blossoms.  I'm not sure if they're american chestnut or horse chestnut.  I'm no intending to walk through the poison ivy to find out.

 

Pretty easy to distinguish

horse chestnut
image.png

american chestnut
image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×