Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

Just now, Lava Rock said:
9 hours ago, PowderBeard said:
Every pic of that area always looks bone dry. Does it bake in the sun all day? Is it compacted in or loose?

Does get cooked most of day. Not very compacted especially on slope

I have similar issues with spots in my yard. Shit soil and ledge underneath. I'm trying to build up better soil in those shitty spots. I have had success with the lawn soil stuff you can buy at a local home store. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

Lawn still not fully recovered and probably won't. Lots of work come SpringIMG_20191011_175214.jpg

Whoa, either that was an epic disease/ drought etc that wiped it out or their wasnt any "real" grass there to begin with. Mid OCT should be very green.

Was that a newly seeded area or more established?

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Was fully established. Here's a pic from May 19th. I'm pretty certain it was chinch bug and/or grubs. DevastatedIMG_20190519_170135.jpg

Sorry man, that's incredible damage. Almost looks like dead crabgrass or something, but that fact that on May 19th it looked that, definitely not--looks like actual turfgrass.

Crazy how thick it is in that pic. If it really is grubs, then the turf should pull up like a carpet and you should see ALOT of grubs.

Sorry man, that's incredible damage. Almost looks like dead crabgrass or something, but that fact that on May 19th it looked that, definitely not--looks like actual turfgrass.
Crazy how thick it is in that pic. If it really is grubs, then the turf should pull up like a carpet and you should see ALOT of grubs.

Never saw grubs, but sometime in Aug I saw bugs in the turf, so assumed chinch bastards.

52 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Never saw grubs, but sometime in Aug I saw bugs in the turf, so assumed chinch bastards.

You need to rip a chunk off and look in the soil underneath to determine if it's grub damage. Can't rely on surface obs

14 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Lawn still not fully recovered and probably won't. Lots of work come SpringIMG_20191011_175214.jpg

14 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Whoa, either that was an epic disease/ drought etc that wiped it out or their wasnt any "real" grass there to begin with. Mid OCT should be very green.

Was that a newly seeded area or more established?

My experience with grubs had the damage patchy, that is totally wiped out, wow. Did you fertilize? Maybe an incorrect setting on the spreader?  I’ve seen guys totally burn the lawn out by over fertilizing. 

My experience with grubs had the damage patchy, that is totally wiped out, wow. Did you fertilize? Maybe an incorrect setting on the spreader?  I’ve seen guys totally burn the lawn out by over fertilizing. 
I fertilized twice. Once in April and again in June. Didn't start to die off until August. Pretty sure it's not over fertilized. I'm gonna rotatil it next Spring and start over

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I fertilized twice. Once in April and again in June. Didn't start to die off until August. Pretty sure it's not over fertilized. I'm gonna rotatil it next Spring and start over

Yeah, after I posted I looked at the photo again and saw spots in the distance that still had some green. It just wondered if it was a burn of some sort, fertilizer or chemical. That’s sucks, so frustrating for you. 

Can you see grubs in the turf

looks and from what your describing sounds  like it., you should see this in the dirt when you pull grass up. I got some grub damage in sept, had grubs the size of night-crawlers. Easy to fix if that’s the case.

8D4BBD5D-C088-475B-8874-04A8A0CFBBC7.jpeg.38419ecc82c4e84b9a4703c26df12976.jpeg

23 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

How often did you water it? New grass needs an insane amount of water for the roots to establish and grow deep. Looks like most of the dead section is on higher ground and the soil is probably bone dry. 

23 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
On 10/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Your going to be in the same position this time next year, unless you irrigate it.  Your Spring seeding is doomed to fail.  Sure, it’ll look great in May, but unless it’s able to establish deep roots to get water, the shallow roots will bake with that slope and solar orientation, drying out and killing them.

• Like 1

Can you see grubs in the turf

looks and from what your describing sounds  like it., you should see this in the dirt when you pull grass up. I got some grub damage in sept, had grubs the size of night-crawlers. Easy to fix if that’s the case.
8D4BBD5D-C088-475B-8874-04A8A0CFBBC7.jpeg.38419ecc82c4e84b9a4703c26df12976.jpeg

Never saw grubs and I checked a couple times this summer. Did see what I thought were chinch bugs. Local landscaper said this was no way due to lack of water. It would have came back by now if it went dormant.

One last lawn picture.  I cheat because I have a lawn service.  You can see the difference between the hill area that they treat and the base which is "as is".  Still quite a few leaves on the trees, oaks hanging on....also this is a good picture of my mast for the VP2.  Just the anemometer up here the base station is out in the field

lawn.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Please make it snow so I don't have to look at this till Spring. Seriously, this pisses me off since I'm not sure how best to fix it shy of starting over. Got all winter to think about it.f0cb60b91aa322c2e296353d91403305.jpg

I’ll be honest. I’ve never seen anything like that. Is there rock just underneath? And is it exposed to constant sun? How much dirt is there?

Im not sure how much money you’d want to spend... but I’d almost consider building that up as much as possible. Bring in as much loam as that area can hold without washing....

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ll be honest. I’ve never seen anything like that. Is there rock just underneath? And is it exposed to constant sun? How much dirt is there?

Im not sure how much money you’d want to spend... but I’d almost consider building that up as much as possible. Bring in as much loam as that area can hold without washing....

this area actually has quite a bit of soil/sand as the area directly below my weather station is the septic leach field. Of all places where the grass should grow well, yet it doesn't. I mentioned before about rototilling this mess in Spring and reseeding, but the risk is constant sun and without daily watering for weeks on end, it would probably burn out before it got well established. It would probably be best to wait until Fall, but having to look at this all next Summer is painful.

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

this area actually has quite a bit of soil/sand as the area directly below my weather station is the septic leach field. Of all places where the grass should grow well, yet it doesn't. I mentioned before about rototilling this mess in Spring and reseeding, but the risk is constant sun and without daily watering for weeks on end, it would probably burn out before it got well established. It would probably be best to wait until Fall, but having to look at this all next Summer is painful.

I know its been along battle, not sure what is going on there. You have some clumping green grass--mostly likely some type of Fescue, but could also be some undesirable grass for a home lawn like Orchard grass, but at least its green.

I just looked again at that pic from May you posted a few pages back, I dont know why it didnt bounce back in the fall? Does it do this every year? When was it seeded?

15 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I know its been along battle, not sure what is going on there. You have some clumping green grass--mostly likely some type of Fescue, but could also be some undesirable grass for a home lawn like Orchard grass, but at least its green.

I just looked again at that pic from May you posted a few pages back, I dont know why it didnt bounce back in the fall? Does it do this every year? When was it seeded?

you're right, the tufts of grass present I believe are orchard grass. They withstand a lot, but this Summer I think the chinch bugs did them in. This happens every year, but no where near this extent and it usually grows back. The damage was so widespread there's nothing left. You can literally just pull out the top layer without any roots left behind. Lat time it was overseeded was 2 or 3yrs ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...