Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

2 hours ago, amarshall said:

I think it does have something to do with over-watering at 1am to dodge the irrigation police. 

I was going to ask if there is a sprinkler head basically right against the bed there. That looks like a fungal issue to me, and looks like the pattern of how a sprinkler head would water. July and early August are usually really bad for fungal growth because of the humid nights. Watering at 1am is pretty much the worst time you can water.

How did this look when it first started? Was it smaller sections that joined together to make that larger section?

Check this out and see if anything rings a bell. 

https://www.lawn-care-academy.com/lawn-diseases.html

Tell-tale fungal signs are the mycelium in the morning dew. Good news is that you can fight most fungal issues through good maintenance practices (don't mow too short, water at good times, etc) and they are usually treatable with fungicide.

18 hours ago, amarshall said:

My yearly disease is back. This was all reseeded last year. 8576bcbf8aea1f8308f404a2124b5b34.jpge6f01dd0194d6ed85dddef8e216b60c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Did you check for grubs prior to reseeding? From the pictures it looks like you have 2 different types of grass growing in the area, is my assumption correct?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Did you check for grubs prior to reseeding? From the pictures it looks like you have 2 different types of grass growing in the area, is my assumption correct?

I have a lawn treatment service now. This used to be a bad grub area.  

There's some old lawn in there from the previous owner but all of my new lawn was seeded with lesco sun & shade park.  I changed the irrigation to 5am now. 

36 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I have a lawn treatment service now. This used to be a bad grub area.  

There's some old lawn in there from the previous owner but all of my new lawn was seeded with lesco sun & shade park.  I changed the irrigation to 5am now. 

if you grab the dead grass/turf, can you pull it back, like down to the dirt?

stick a shovel in the ground. if you see a lot of rice krispies in the dirt, you still got grubs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

if you grab the dead grass/turf, can you pull it back, like down to the dirt?

stick a shovel in the ground. if you see a lot of rice krispies in the dirt, you still got grubs.

I had a patch of the lawn that looked similar to above and could not figure it out a couple of years ago. Then while mowing a clump of grass just rolled up and then I realized it was grubs again. It had been 11 seasons since I had applied milky spore and they were back. After I treated the whole yard, including flower beds, again with milky spore I haven’t seen them in a couple of years again. 

Any of you weenies grow your own hops? Any recommendations for cold hardy and disease resistant varieties for up here? I plan on planting them on the west side of my chicken run (south side is grapes) as there will be plenty of nitrogen, organic material, and beneficial fungi leeching into the root systems from there. I see a lot of people growing cascade and centennial. Would a small potted plant or a healthy rhizome transplant easier?

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

Any of you weenies grow your own hops? Any recommendations for cold hardy and disease resistant varieties for up here? I plan on planting them on the west side of my chicken run (south side is grapes) as there will be plenty of nitrogen, organic material, and beneficial fungi leeching into the root systems from there. I see a lot of people growing cascade and centennial. Would a small potted plant or a healthy rhizome transplant easier?

Check out this resource

https://www.uvm.edu/extension/nwcrops/hops

11 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thanks. I did more reading last night. I haven’t noticed a lot of downy mildew here but we certainly get the powdery mildew annually. By August the cuke leaves turn yellow...even with a trellis. Are there any hop varieties that you craft brew guys tend to prefer? Maybe one for aroma and one for bitterness?

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Thanks. I did more reading last night. I haven’t noticed a lot of downy mildew here but we certainly get the powdery mildew annually. By August the cuke leaves turn yellow...even with a trellis. Are there any hop varieties that you craft brew guys tend to prefer? Maybe one for aroma and one for bitterness?

There are so many varieties now, it's tough to keep track.

https://www.brewcabin.com/hop-varieties/

Cascade, Chinook, Citra, Amarillo, Centential, Mosaic, Simcoe are all pretty versatile for both aroma and bitterness.

Took a walk out to the stream in the back woods looking for more chestnuts with seeds, but no luck. However, I did find a lot of elm trees up and down the stream. They were in fairly poor condition with tall, lanky boughs and somewhat soggy bark, but some of them had a decent canopy. I assume our seeds tend to fall in May? I may collect some then.

Looks more like a slippery elm versus american elm, correct?

E9DF0CF7-2A05-4CC6-B6F3-B30C593B5CF0.jpeg

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

And oh yeah, a nice striped maple with some big ol’ leaves too. Are they self fertile or are a m and f tree needed?

4567C219-4353-4E4D-A04F-F9E6CCBF86B3.jpeg

07DDAFE5-019D-4988-9459-2C7E427F5F15.jpeg

Striped Maple : Reproduction

c97406186eebb82f374be6e602c24aee.jpg 
A flowering striped maple. 
(Flickr user pverdonk, 2013).

The striped maple is a flowering tree, or angiosperm. Interestingly, the striped maple can be either dioecious (only male or female flowers on an individual tree) or monecious (both male and female flowers on the same tree). When dioecious, this maple can also change from a male to a female tree. As an understory tree, it can sometimes get shaded out by other trees. In a last-ditch effort to propagate, the tree will change from male to female and put all of its energy into forming seeds.

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Striped Maple : Reproduction

c97406186eebb82f374be6e602c24aee.jpg 
A flowering striped maple. 
(Flickr user pverdonk, 2013).

The striped maple is a flowering tree, or angiosperm. Interestingly, the striped maple can be either dioecious (only male or female flowers on an individual tree) or monecious (both male and female flowers on the same tree). When dioecious, this maple can also change from a male to a female tree. As an understory tree, it can sometimes get shaded out by other trees. In a last-ditch effort to propagate, the tree will change from male to female and put all of its energy into forming seeds.

Jenner maple?

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Lawn looks terrible. Matted in places. Recent rain seems to be helping a little, but otherwise just garbage. I cut the "lawn" today. More like cutting a field. IMG_20190830_172408.jpgIMG_20190830_172421.jpgIMG_20190830_172428.jpg

That's insane man, I was actually thinking of posting in here to see if your lawn rebounded with some rain, lowering sun angle and longer/cooler nights.

That looks like mid July in KS/OK/TX after 95-100F for a weeks on end. Not sure even what to say..hopefully it comes around in the next few weeks.

I'm planning to overseed this weekend.  To be sure I have the steps right....

1) mow today a low setting (bagging not mulching)

2) seed/starter

3) do I need to rake for overseeding?  Can' really see what's taking place with existing grass.

4) water

5) for overseeding, how long do you wait before you mow again?

Thanks for confirming/redirecting any of the steps above.