• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

Been having my own battle with yellow jackets who built a next in the ground next to my front walk.  Have been hitting it repeatedly with foaming bee spray, at the nest's peak I counted 1-2 departures and arrival per second.  I think I got the remainder of it last night, I was able to put the can of foaming spray at the hive opening and force it down into the hole:

176984311_IMG_3094resize.thumb.jpg.b81103d37e770a16b3449230df4b7c63.jpg

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I moved back to the East Coast in April '09, i moved into a townhouse in the the farmlands of SEPA with a pool in the complex--full sun.  I just remember the pool was freezing even into August. Pool temps of yore.

Had an 8-week stretch that "summer" (early June-early August) with only 7 days that it didn't rain.  Coolest July of 22 here, 2nd coolest June and coolest met summer despite AN August (in which sun and convective precip finally appeared.)

2 hours ago, mostman said:

Looks like my Sawyer Beetle up thread. Check out my photo and see if it’s the same. I actually sent my photo into the state for confirmation and they said it was a Sawyer Beetle. 

Yup. I think that's it. Never heard of them.

8 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Heavy lawns here in SVT for early AUG.  Just enough rains to keep most lawns around here green all summer so far. Guess the nonstop, relentless dews have helped retain moisture :)

Sorry Lava....your pics in the other thread look bad..not sure what the heck is going on over there on that moonscape. 

rps20190801_221823.thumb.jpg.d1d48bb8972d7cd9acab9c8a5d4ba61a.jpg

rps20190802_212447.thumb.jpg.decbc3ebd6aa3070bc33893a9a6c6620.jpg

Sweet lots of rain here until about the last 10 days, had to start watering 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Red thread starting to go wild here. 

I thought I had it bad too but then yesterday I noticed the little dew webs in the morning. They look like spider webs but vanish in the sun. Dollar Spot. I’m only watering once a week at this point, but I guess even that’s too much with this overnight humidity. Irrigation is off for now. 

Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on here? The taller tree is a false cypress and I’ve already trimmed a bunch of browning branches off it and you can see it looks like the whole tree has it. The smaller one is a dwarf Alberta that’s been in the ground since April and is suddenly showing showing signs of browning. False cypress has been in since early July.E52AFAD5-DCEB-466A-A40B-D5F791AB36E4.jpeg.dba35f43f5bd79d37fd24922a4be8b9c.jpeg4D9D4C7B-2951-45F7-A217-104CBC628DD4.jpeg.4b72c9166cd462b7194b591d0b732bac.jpeg

We own a 15 acre parcel looking over Newfound Lake.  I don't do anything to the grass, just mow once a month.  With frequent rains this summer it looks darn good.
Anyone want to picnic or camp on it?  Free to any AMWX members!  Private night under the stars for sure!
38337751_PicnicLand.thumb.jpg.fdb0a28657f9e570c6374ace59bbca79.jpg
If you were closer, we'd bring our tent. Beautiful spot
  • Like 1

Heavy lawns here in SVT for early AUG.  Just enough rains to keep most lawns around here green all summer so far. Guess the nonstop, relentless dews have helped retain moisture 
Sorry Lava....your pics in the other thread look bad..not sure what the heck is going on over there on that moonscape. 
rps20190801_221823.thumb.jpg.d1d48bb8972d7cd9acab9c8a5d4ba61a.jpg
rps20190802_212447.thumb.jpg.decbc3ebd6aa3070bc33893a9a6c6620.jpg
That's incredible looking. I like mine better though

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Won't be cutting lawn anytime soonIMG_20190804_151849.jpgIMG_20190804_151814.jpg

I bust balls with you, but jesus h. That SW slope must just bake. You probably need irrigation to get the look you want...either that or plant a few trees for extra shade. But I’m sure you don’t want to block the views.

On 8/3/2019 at 3:16 PM, Brewbeer said:

The glass jar over the yellow jacket nest is amazingly effective in today's testing at my hive-y hole. 

Even though there is a sizable gap at the base of the bowl, they don't seem to be able to find it:

IMG_3106.thumb.JPG.9c2123338c0257ae9d46b90e7c0cc8a9.JPGIMG_3101.thumb.JPG.d3fb05b7b46be583337604feb211b107.JPGIMG_3107.JPG.a7137dddf50c9ab9f7150701de5b9737.JPG

I think the goal is to make them use up all of the oxygen. A gap would give them air exchange. How’s it working?

I bust balls with you, but jesus h. That SW slope must just bake. You probably need irrigation to get the look you want...either that or plant a few trees for extra shade. But I’m sure you don’t want to block the views.
It's rather comical at this point. Spend all this money for lawn looks, and have a field to look at. Will need to drill another well to get any real irrigation, but that's a very costly project. I don't think I've seen it look this bad

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

Southerly exposure on a hill is a recipe for failure.  Irrigation would be the answer if he's not willing to plant more trees. 

20 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Southerly exposure on a hill is a recipe for failure.  Irrigation would be the answer if he's not willing to plant more trees. 

the slope torch makes sense since much of the water flows down and away from the roots, but what about the flat section (newly seeded 2 yrs ago) in the background? This was prepared with 12" sand then 4" loam. Granted, it's in the sun all day too, but I figured the moisture would be better retained there then slope sections, yet the soil is bone dry. Anyhoo, we need rain.