• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

Actually now that i look again it looks like yarrow. I’ll vote yarrow and creeping buttercup.
I think you're right about the buttercup. Extremely invasive, hard to get rid since the seeds are very hearty and just pulling the plant out doesn't guarantee the seeds left behind won't germinate. Recommendation is kill all grass and start over. I've got to get out of this high maintenance, high cost lawn project crap.

While I"m sure it will continue to fill in, I think the grass is in enough to recognize I need to do some additional seeding.  What are folks thoughts on this--any reason to wait until after a first mowing to put it down?  I'd rather get it in in the next couple of days and perhaps hold off on mowing until 2 weekends from now (maybe even longer depending on how it looks).

prettygood 1.jpg

prettygood 2.jpg

prettygood 3.jpg

Quick update on last Fall's back yard lawn hydroseed project. Looks preety good now. Quite a few weeds in there, but I think I'll hit them with some fert/weed killer next month. Didn't want to stress it out too soon. Up close, still quite a few bare spots, mostly slopeside. Some yellowing in front of the oak. Not sure if it's due to sucking nutrients away from grass or something else, but I knew it might be a problem as the grass never grew well around it before.

In comparison, 2015 was the worst (way before hydro project). In fairness, it was hot/dry that Summer. I'd be willing to bet this hydo would go to junk if we ever experience HHH this summer.

capture1.jpg

lawn torch.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Quick update on last Fall's back yard lawn hydroseed project. Looks preety good now. Quite a few weeds in there, but I think I'll hit them with some fert/weed killer next month. Didn't want to stress it out too soon. Up close, still quite a few bare spots, mostly slopeside. Some yellowing in front of the oak. Not sure if it's due to sucking nutrients away from grass or something else, but I knew it might be a problem as the grass never grew well around it before.

In comparison, 2015 was the worst (way before hydro project). In fairness, it was hot/dry that Summer. I'd be willing to bet this hydo would go to junk if we ever experience HHH this summer.

capture1.jpg

lawn torch.jpg

Nice--world of difference!

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

I'm not an expert, but yeah. I'd let it all grow for now as we get into deep summer. Keep it on the longer side too. Let those roots grow down deep and keep the sfc moisture up.

I mow a 4" height so hopefully that'll suffice.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:53 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Stopped using mulch and let local wild flowers take over, lots of hosta, morning glory along with a mixture of plants. I weed and trim as needed.  Pretty happy with the result.

:thumbsup:

We don't have much of a problem around here with areas of overgrown fields with wildflowers and weeds for the bees and beneficial insects, but it must be tough being one of those little buggers in suburbia...anally manicured lawns, pesticides, nothing overgrown, etc. I wish everyone had a little patch of their yard with an area of native wildflowers and/or weeds.

It's funny, but the greens I notice my birds eating the least are the zoysia and cold climate grasses. They love clover, dandelion, plantain, and anything related to a crabgrass. I'm trying to grow bocking 4 comfrey for them from root cuttings too, but I see no sign of rooting from them yet.

Anyway, RIP this morning to Sophia, our last white leghorn. She was the perfect little forager and must've laid us 500-600 eggs before she stopped in February. We suspect she was internally laying, but she had ups and downs from that point until the past week. She actually had times when she seemed to be her normal energetic self. But the last week she declined rapidly. She spent the weekend in the spare bedroom with no energy to move and hopped into the rainbow nesting box this morning...our first loss since June 2017. She will be very missed, but the flock must go on.

RIP Sophia

EEBCD1EE-284E-4507-8CBC-AD040A52CF90.jpeg

• Sad 2

Anyone an expert on hickory nuts? Diane braved the heat and humidity to Nashville to collect me some and I have some in different sizes. I know shellbark are the largest followed by shagbark and then either mockernut or pignuts, but I’m not sure how large each nut hull is supposed to be...I just know the relative sizes.

73012FEF-A354-49A8-8C04-8354CEEBC34D.jpeg

I’ll post some later, but maybe @tamarack will know?

i feel like I either have ovata with some ovalis, or laciniosa with some ovata.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, Lava Rock said:

Anyone know what these two weeds areIMG_20190626_181741.jpgIMG_20190626_181711.jpg

I get that second one where my grass is struggling. Edges of the patio, edges of the driveway, places like that. If you have good grass coverage and apply a general weed killer, it'll be gone. So kill it or pull it, then overseed in the fall in that spot to try to crowd it out next year.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone an expert on hickory nuts? Diane braved the heat and humidity to Nashville to collect me some and I have some in different sizes. I know shellbark are the largest followed by shagbark and then either mockernut or pignuts, but I’m not sure how large each nut hull is supposed to be...I just know the relative sizes.

73012FEF-A354-49A8-8C04-8354CEEBC34D.jpeg

I’ll post some later, but maybe @tamarack will know?

i feel like I either have ovata with some ovalis, or laciniosa with some ovata.

Pic with a quarter for reference. Thank you Di!

64A37936-0793-4A07-8202-559BA08E947E.jpeg

The smaller ones are mostly dark now and the larger mostly green. 

• Like 1