Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

20 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Pretty sure it was the Northeast Mix. https://www.americanmeadows.com/wildflower-seeds/wildflower-mix/northeast-wildflower-seed-mix

That whole area was clear cut only 2 yrs ago. I just through the wildflower seed by hand, but obviously missed some large swaths. Some oaks are already creeping back in, so I need to keep cutting those or they'll grow rapidly. Here's a pic during excavation.

ef23a1f7875a97494e497ec9abe1336c.jpg

awesome stuff there.

58 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No red thread here, but I’ve noticed those fungal spots showing up again on just the red maple leaves. Weird.

not sure what it is, but i have a couple young oak trees whose leaves are taking a beating this year. there were holes in the leaves, then the ends turned brown. tree seems to be OK, as it has some new growth, but I am a little worried

I'm so sick of that invasive buckthorn crap. Anyone have tips on how to get rid of it? I cut it all back in the spring before it seeds and in the fall, but that crap resprouts like 4ft after it first leafs out in the spring. I assume keep cutting it back until the roots run out of energy is the only option? That and making sure it doesn't go to seed?

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm so sick of that invasive buckthorn crap. Anyone have tips on how to get rid of it? I cut it all back in the spring before it seeds and in the fall, but that crap resprouts like 4ft after it first leafs out in the spring. I assume keep cutting it back until the roots run out of energy is the only option? That and making sure it doesn't go to seed?

is that a vine that takes over everything?

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not sure what I had at home, but I cut some small undergrowth that I thought was a birch but it had thorns along the truck and branches.  It was a few feet tall.  Wonder if this is what it was.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

I had a few Lupines for a year or two before they never came back.

I've managed to kill the usually tough lupines in 2 places, my current locale and at our 1st house in Fort Kent.  IIRC, the culprit here was plow-scalping (by the town) of the late-Feb slopfest in 2010, one more reason to hate that "winter."  In Fort Kent, we planted lupines in the side yard shortly after moving in during May 1977 and got nice blossoms 3 years, just a few in 78 but lots the next 2.  Then came Feb 1981, in which CAR tied its high temp for the month twice and exceeded it 7 times.  The lupines failed to make an appearance that spring, so I guess the thaw went deep enough so that the subsequent sub-zero mornings on bare ground did them in.

Edit:  Spent the last week with family in SNJ - EF-0 just 8 miles to our NNW (Mullica Hill), closest I've been to a confirmed tor.  We had little wind and not even a rumble. 
Looked for EAB and Gypsy moth evidence on the drive down (too much RA to see much on yesterday's return trip.)  Patches of dead ash all thru CT/NY/NNJ.  Also dead/sick oak, mostly S.MA and N.CT, but zero sign of current Gypsy moth feeding and even with this year's somewhat delayed phenology the defoliation should've been visible if significant.  (Route thru MA/CT was 495/290/Pike/84.  Nothing on I-684 nor Saw Mill River Pkwy in NY nor any of the NJ highways we traveled. either.)

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

is that a vine that takes over everything?

35 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not sure what I had at home, but I cut some small undergrowth that I thought was a birch but it had thorns along the truck and branches.  It was a few feet tall.  Wonder if this is what it was.

Yeah this is more shrub/small tree like. It's not as bad as knotweed, but it's first to leaf out, last to drop leaves, and produces a ton of berries that drop seed. The berries aren't even good for wildlife...it just gives everything runs.

GlossyBuckthornAttributes.jpg

common-buckthorn-Gary.Fewless.jpg

https://www.michigan.gov/invasives/0,5664,7-324-68002_71240_73850-379574--,00.html

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah this is more shrub/small tree like. It's not as bad as knotweed, but it's first to leaf out, last to drop leaves, and produces a ton of berries that drop seed. The berries aren't even good for wildlife...it just gives everything runs.

https://www.michigan.gov/invasives/0,5664,7-324-68002_71240_73850-379574--,00.html

I can't recall there being berries, since this is the 1st time I've seen it where I removed it.  The leaves looked very similar to my Pear Tree so I though it was that and when I went to remove it, I was pricked by one of the thorns.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like glossy buckthorn - its equally invasive exotic cousin has 4-petal flowers and yours has 5.  Repeated pre-seed cutting can work, if you get it all and do it for at least 3 years.  (Guidebook from Maine Natural Areas Program: "...diligence is required.")  If herbicides are an option, either glyphosate (Roundup - I use its off-patent knockoff "Eliminator", which I've bought at Wal-Mart) or Triclopyr (Garlon.)  Foliar application of either works well, as does cut-stump application except in spring when sap is moving upward.  The ester formulation of Garlon, in bark oil, can also be applied to the base of the bark in any season.  (Source:  Same MNAP guidebook)

Just now, tamarack said:

Looks like glossy buckthorn - its equally invasive exotic cousin has 4-petal flowers and yours has 5.  Repeated pre-seed cutting can work, if you get it all and do it for at least 3 years.  (Guidebook from Maine Natural Areas Program: "...diligence is required.")  If herbicides are an option, either glyphosate (Roundup - I use its off-patent knockoff "Eliminator", which I've bought at Wal-Mart) or Triclopyr (Garlon.)  Foliar application of either works well, as does cut-stump application except in spring when sap is moving upward.  The ester formulation of Garlon, in bark oil, can also be applied to the base of the bark in any season.  (Source:  Same MNAP guidebook)

I'm not sure which one I have. These aren't my photos. I think I have the non-glossy version. I'll look when I get home.

Just now, dendrite said:

I'm not sure which one I have. These aren't my photos. I think I have the non-glossy version. I'll look when I get home.

The MNAP guidebook control methods for common buckthorn are almost the same - only difference is that Garlon is not mentioned for foliar application, though it's there for cut-stump. 

3 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

A fungicide may help. If you decide to use a fungicide use it on a "test" area first. 

Yeah we had our fertilizer company use fungicide last year because it was red thread and dollar spot. No surprise, a billion inches of rain and 90 dews. This year I’m hoping we can just let nature take its course.