Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

They don't usually fall until late summer though, correct?

I'd call it midsummer, and the maples tend to drop all their seeds over a relatively short period.  White ash is different - seeds mature mid-late summer but many hang on into winter.  Looks to be a huge crop for them this year, maybe like 1992 when the north side gales around the December bomb covered our entire yard with ash seeds (and not a single snowflake), at least 20 per sq.ft., and next spring it was like every one germinated.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Migrated SE to find better food source? lol I have no idea. I haven’t seen one yet and usually they’re hanging out on the deck sipping a beverage by now.

Its really strange. Literally havent seen a single one. Heard from many other people in CT the same thing. Something must have wiped most of them out. I have seen a huge increase in red tailed hawks? 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I'd call it midsummer, and the maples tend to drop all their seeds over a relatively short period.  White ash is different - seeds mature mid-late summer but many hang on into winter.  Looks to be a huge crop for them this year, maybe like 1992 when the north side gales around the December bomb covered our entire yard with ash seeds (and not a single snowflake), at least 20 per sq.ft., and next spring it was like every one germinated.

Nice. I'll keep a look out. My native red maples produces some very red samaras this year, but the one I got from the box store (atumn blaze from Lowes I believe) produced a more tan samara...not sure what that means. So should we be able to tell if the sugar ones are forming now or is it 3-4 weeks for that? I'll have to get my binoculars out and look at the crown of the sugar out from to see if there are any hanging. :weenie:

45 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Its really strange. Literally havent seen a single one. Heard from many other people in CT the same thing. Something must have wiped most of them out. I have seen a huge increase in red tailed hawks? 

The hawks are loving the backyard chicken craze.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Nice. I'll keep a look out. My native red maples produces some very red samaras this year, but the one I got from the box store (atumn blaze from Lowes I believe) produced a more tan samara...not sure what that means. So should we be able to tell if the sugar ones are forming now or is it 3-4 weeks for that? I'll have to get my binoculars out and look at the crown of the sugar out from to see if there are any hanging. :weenie:

Since Autumn Blaze is a hybrid between red and silver maples, its seeds would probably share characteristics of each.  Red maple seeds are among the lightest of any maple while those of silver are among the heaviest, 10-15 times as heavy as red maple.  As you've noted, red maple seeds have reddish wings.  Silver maple wings tend toward lime green.  Maybe if you mixed paint of similar colors, it would be some shade of brownish?  Sugar maple is 3-4 times heaver than red, 1/3-1/4 the weight of silver.  If there are any Norway maples around, they produce big seed crops of relatively large seeds which drop about the same time as those of red maple.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, dendrite said:

We boo. You can see where the old culms were topkilled above the snow line. I’ll probably cover them next winter.

3740FBAB-99CA-4A1F-AA99-18E3AA8C6F25.jpeg

Shoots grew about a foot yesterday. This was last night. I’m interested to compare last night to today after almost an inch of rain. 

B22D934D-52C6-4F0A-8938-0670B74E066D.jpeg

On 6/6/2019 at 12:26 PM, BrianW said:

Anyone else notice there are like zero chipmunks this year? I usually have like half a dozen terrorizing my yard. Havent seen a single one yet this year. 

I've seen the same amount up here.  I even picked one up on one of my game cams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJNifqz1oI&t=283s

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dropped Lesco round 2 Sunday eve. Everyone’s got some red thread in SNE with wet spring . This will take care of that .

No red thread here. Up until today, I had only seen about 2/3” of rain since May 25th.  Was getting pretty dry with all the Spring growth absorbing all the surface moisture.

It only took a year and a half but we (I) finally got around to planting at the new house. Two 10x3' beds on either side of the front door, and another 12x3' bed on the side of the house that is really visible from the street. 

The good news is I have 96 ft sq. ft. less to mow, the bad news I had 96 sq. ft of lawn to dig up. 

Now I just need to figure out what I can plant along the edge with the "wetlands" that is prettier to look at than weeds.

48 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It only took a year and a half but we (I) finally got around to planting at the new house. Two 10x3' beds on either side of the front door, and another 12x3' bed on the side of the house that is really visible from the street. 

The good news is I have 96 ft sq. ft. less to mow, the bad news I had 96 sq. ft of lawn to dig up. 

Now I just need to figure out what I can plant along the edge with the "wetlands" that is prettier to look at than weeds.

http://www.cattails.info/

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Pics??

25 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks!  I wish I could take credit for it, but we hired out for it.  If I didn't have a wedding to pay for I'd be up for getting more plants.  :)

Save room to replenish the american chestnut. :weenie:

https://theconversation.com/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-the-decimated-iconic-tree-52191

T-2 years if the estimate I've heard from the rumor mill.

9 hours ago, mostman said:

Wow. 100x more functional. Doggo seems pleased. 

It does the trick!  I'm happy we have some cool (or at least not hot) wet weather the next few days to help with the germination.

I have quickly accepted that any efforts to keep her from walking/peeing/pooping in the seeded area are doomed to fail.

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

Save room to replenish the american chestnut. :weenie:

https://theconversation.com/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-the-decimated-iconic-tree-52191

T-2 years if the estimate I've heard from the rumor mill.

We have two chestnut trees (they're behind the garage in an overgrown area so they hardly are even noticed.  I only did because I saw their blossoms.  I'm not sure if they're american chestnut or horse chestnut.  I'm no intending to walk through the poison ivy to find out.

14 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Pics??

I'll try and grab some when I get home from work.

The greenhouse/nursery was a little overwhelming, but we ended up going with (from inside to outside off the front door) a golden cone juniper, bloomstruck hydrangea, and avalanche lily of the valley. On the side of the house we have an azalea bracketed by two spirea. 

3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

We have two chestnut trees (they're behind the garage in an overgrown area so they hardly are even noticed.  I only did because I saw their blossoms.  I'm not sure if they're american chestnut or horse chestnut.  I'm no intending to walk through the poison ivy to find out.

Pretty easy to distinguish

horse chestnut
image.png

american chestnut
image.png