Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone have any success with using brush cutting attachments on electric weed whackers? I just want to easily clear the new growth invasive buckthorn without pulling out the loppers. They're all under a 1/4" diameter...most smaller than that.

I used something similar to the link below many years ago now, it worked good, probably too good because I got too aggressive with it and things got kind of exciting when one of those arms broke off. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Push-N-Load-3-Blade-Universal-Trimmer-Head-16234/100671846?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-32_PORTABLE|NA|LIA|Fixed|71700000041074954|58700004788398043|92700040946149284&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3syS2c3N4gIVjsDICh2hOwxdEAkYDyABEgKqU_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I used something similar to the link below many years ago now, it worked good, probably too good because I got too aggressive with it and things got kind of exciting when one of those arms broke off. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Push-N-Load-3-Blade-Universal-Trimmer-Head-16234/100671846?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-32_PORTABLE|NA|LIA|Fixed|71700000041074954|58700004788398043|92700040946149284&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3syS2c3N4gIVjsDICh2hOwxdEAkYDyABEgKqU_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

heh

Did you use it on an electric or gas? Mine's electric and all of those attachments advise against electric powered ones, but I may give it a whirl anyway.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like the excavator cleared that guy right out of there. Good job.

Nope---this is before any work started.  :)

The circular area is where they once had a pool.  They're going to take out that crappy raised garden and regrade so we have a slope rather than a 4' cliff.  Hopefully the grass will come in quickly once it's planted.

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Action shot this evening 

RmCtN69.jpg

there was another one on my deck yesterday.  I haven't noticed any on our oak or evidence of eating.  Might get a better idea once the landscapers clear out a lot of overgrown crap along our back fence.  Supposedly, the work begins today.   I'm psyched.

Clearing along the back fence took place yesterday.  I think the roc garden will disappear today.  Not sure if the intent is to have everything done today or not.  I'm guessing they might still need another day.

Looks like a string of COC will accompany the new seeding.  I was hoping I wouldn't need to do a lot of watering myself.  Alas.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Clearing along the back fence took place yesterday.  I think the roc garden will disappear today.  Not sure if the intent is to have everything done today or not.  I'm guessing they might still need another day.

Looks like a string of COC will accompany the new seeding.  I was hoping I wouldn't need to do a lot of watering myself.  Alas.

Pics?

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Anyone getting what seems to be more red maple samaras than usual this spring? Bumper crop?

Some red maples look half leafed-out due to all the branch space occupied by seeds, which should start flying here soon.  (And some trees, brown ash in particular, still look half-leaved because - late.)  Looks like lots of trees are producing big seed crops - the pine across from the house, numerous female white ash, and every apple tree in the area (assuming pollination gets it done.)

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Anyone getting what seems to be more red maple samaras than usual this spring? Bumper crop?

if you are talking about the propellers, yes. i cleaned up an incredible amount from my driveway yesterday. never had that many before,. not even close

51 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Some red maples look half leafed-out due to all the branch space occupied by seeds, which should start flying here soon.  (And some trees, brown ash in particular, still look half-leaved because - late.)  Looks like lots of trees are producing big seed crops - the pine across from the house, numerous female white ash, and every apple tree in the area (assuming pollination gets it done.)

Any forecast on the sugar maples? I wanted to collect some seed this year if it looked like a big year.

12 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Anyone else notice there are like zero chipmunks this year? I usually have like half a dozen terrorizing my yard. Havent seen a single one yet this year. 

I've heard that from people too, but we have a few. I think the red squirrel numbers are up and they are pretty territorial. Chippy and grey numbers are down, but of course the grey squirrels were committing suicide on the highways last fall.

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Anyone else notice there are like zero chipmunks this year? I usually have like half a dozen terrorizing my yard. Havent seen a single one yet this year. 

You can come get them from my yard, dozens of them here digging holes everywhere. 

Send me a PM if interested.

54 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nose helicopters everywhere this year. Nary a Caterpillar but a shit ton of moths when the outside light is on. My friend in Westerly said his beech leaves are under full attack by a tiny yellow green worm, don't know what it is myself

These?

https://www.boston.com/culture/growing-wisdom/2015/05/18/winter_moth_green_inch_worm_la