Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

9 hours ago, Whineminster said:

My folks put in a new lawn last year it was miiiiint, grew like crazy didn't even need watering.....but it died over the winter.  Their backyard is super wet and just now drying out, was it all the moisture that killed it? I'd say it's half dead. 

Was there annual seed mixed in with perennial?  I've seen that happen before.

This has been like the ultimate lawn growing weather. Lawns everywhere look like Ireland or the Pacific northwest. I read this Pacific Northwest type weather has been perfect for grass. Cool temps, ton of rain and a day or two of sun here and there.  Most grass thrives in cooler temps in the 40-60 degree range.

Look at your bag of grass seed and I bet the seeds are from WA or OR. Its like the ultimate grass growing climate.  

Get that seed down. Stuff I seeded last month has exploded in growth. 

16 minutes ago, BrianW said:

This has been like the ultimate lawn growing weather. Lawns everywhere look like Ireland or the Pacific northwest. I read this Pacific Northwest type weather has been perfect for grass. Cool temps, ton of rain and a day or two of sun here and there.  Most grass thrives in cooler temps in the 40-60 degree range.

Look at your bag of grass seed and I bet the seeds are from WA or OR. Its like the ultimate grass growing climate.  

Get that seed down. Stuff I seeded last month has exploded in growth. 

If I seeded right now I promise you the pattern would suddenly flip and we would torch for weeks. 

Found out today one of my irrigation zones is stuck on. I was doing a test run to water in some weed control. Looks like the bleeder screw on the valve sheered right off (somehow) and it’s stuck open. Beyond my fixing skills. 

11 hours ago, mostman said:

If I seeded right now I promise you the pattern would suddenly flip and we would torch for weeks. 

Found out today one of my irrigation zones is stuck on. I was doing a test run to water in some weed control. Looks like the bleeder screw on the valve sheered right off (somehow) and it’s stuck open. Beyond my fixing skills. 

it is very easy to change out a valve. they sell some (depending on brand) at HD or Lowes.

8 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

it is very easy to change out a valve. they sell some (depending on brand) at HD or Lowes.

I looked at it and thought about it. Looks like the top housing screws right off so you don’t have to mess with the piping. But it’s pretty buried in the box. I called my local irrigation guy. He’s going to come out and fix it for me. I told him to take his time since, at this rate, I won’t need water until June. But I do need some rain before the next mow. I tried to run the other zones with that zone stuck on and the pressure wasn’t high enough to pop all the heads. 

Emerald Ash Borer completely killed my 2 green ash trees my uncle planted in 1958. They were awesome old trees with cool low branches. Its insane how quick they die once they are attacked.  Ash trees will be extinct soon as there is no defense against them except treating with insecticide.

20190516_174315-2016x980.jpg

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Emerald Ash Borer completely killed my 2 green ash trees my uncle planted in 1958. They were awesome old trees with cool low branches. Its insane how quick they die once they are attacked.  Ash trees will be extinct soon as there is no defense against them except treating with insecticide.

20190516_174315-2016x980.jpg

Usually EAB has infested a tree for a couple years before symptoms become visible, after which comes the quick death you saw.  Apparently there is a very small minority of ash that exhibit resistance/tolerance for EAB, so I don't think the species group will go extinct, but will probably be gone as a significant component of the forest.  Hillerich & Bradsby can switch to maple.  Indigenous people in Maine and the Maritimes, for whom brown ash and the products made from it are important cultural facets, have no plan B.

Leaf out is around 25-50% as of today Sat 18th.  Usually, things are pretty much full green in my area by the 20th so running quite a bit behind.  Looking at this picture the trees on my hill seem further along than around Newfound Lake.  Maybe the cold water is keeping the temperatures a bit cooler down below?  I don't know

leaf.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just finished the first mowing of the fields and the 2nd mow of the lawn.  Apple trees are just starting to leaf out.  If anyone likes mowing hit me up.  Actually putting on headsets with some music and riding my 52" zero turn is enjoyable.  

Nice.  I wish I had a 0-turn.