Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Looks like that area is prone to fungus diseases, hard to tell. Regardless, I wouldn’t touch that too much this growing season Mike but instead, attack it vigilantly and properly in the fall. 

Thanks.  I wonder what that area would be prone to it if not the rest of the yard.What will waiting until fall allow?

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I miss pit1.

LOL.  I miss the serenity of it.  That said, I really like having Dunkin' Donuts 1/2 mile away.  :)

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks.  I wonder what that area would be prone to it if not the rest of the yard.What will waiting until fall allow?

The disadvantage of spring seeding is that the root system won't be developed enough to endure hot weather. It is nice though, this time of the year, to not have to worry about ever colder weather which can lower the blinds on seedling growth (like last fall here).

I'd spread an inch or less of topsoil on it, feather it into the surrounding grass, seed it and rake it in (and water it as needed). You might need to hit it again in September, but I'd take my chances - you don't want to be looking at that all summer, lol.

Eta - if you don't have one, get one of those 3 ft. wide aluminum dirt rakes, they're great for that kind of thing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

The disadvantage of spring seeding is that the root system won't be developed enough to endure hot weather. It is nice though, this time of the year, to not have to worry about ever colder weather which can lower the blinds on seedling growth (like last fall here).

I'd spread an inch or less of topsoil on it, feather it into the surrounding grass, seed it and rake it in (and water it as needed). You might need to hit it again in September, but I'd take my chances - you don't want to be looking at that all summer, lol.

Eta - if you don't have one, get one of those 3 ft. wide aluminum dirt rakes, they're great for that kind of thing.

Thanks--most helpful!!

Might be wasting my money, but I'm putting some more seed down on the front lawn.  There are some bad patches there that suck the big one.
Any thoughts on how to best take care of those?  I had fertilized the lawn a couple weeks ago
Lastly, what are the thoughts on Lesco seed?  I just picked some of their sun/shade mix.   I used to use the west-county blend from Agway back in Shelburne.
Guys that hrdroseeded our lawn last fall used the lesco seed. So far so good. I bought a 10lb bag the other day for some touch up spots

I forgot to reschedule my fert treatment and they applied crabgrass control. Problem is I haven’t dethatched yet. They said doing so now would diminish the crabgrass treatment. Is this true? I find that hard to believe after it rained 2 inches.  

2 hours ago, mostman said:

I forgot to reschedule my fert treatment and they applied crabgrass control. Problem is I haven’t dethatched yet. They said doing so now would diminish the crabgrass treatment. Is this true? I find that hard to believe after it rained 2 inches.  

Why not wait till September to dethatch when it’s the best time to do so? 

22 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

LOL.  I miss the serenity of it.  That said, I really like having Dunkin' Donuts 1/2 mile away.  :)

Fungus is never symmetrical nor does it make  sense like why it hits a certain area. Fall is the best time to seed although with how cool and rainy next the 30 days look, you could lay down a thin layer of top soil and seed it. I would just prefer to see how that area is during the growing season, understand why it’s behaving like it is....then address it. Kinda like being your own lawn doctor.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Fungus is never symmetrical nor does it make  sense like why it hits a certain area. Fall is the best time to seed although with how cool and rainy next the 30 days look, you could lay down a thin layer of top soil and seed it. I would just prefer to see how that area is during the growing season, understand why it’s behaving like it is....then address it. Kinda like being your own lawn doctor.

Thanks.  I've gone ahead and put down soil and raked in some additional seed.  If it makes it even a little better, it will have been time/money well spent (and not much of either, frankly).  2/3 of the strip between the sidewalk and street looks like shit, too.  Lord knows what the previous owners had going on.  The remaining third is lush.

Stay tuned on that--and for the backyard follies once that project gets underway.

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks.  I've gone ahead and put down soil and raked in some additional seed.  If it makes it even a little better, it will have been time/money well spent (and not much of either, frankly).  2/3 of the strip between the sidewalk and street looks like shit, too.  Lord knows what the previous owners had going on.  The remaining third is lush.

Stay tuned on that--and for the backyard follies once that project gets underway.

I like that you are into the lawn. In days of yore, you’d scold us about lawns and enjoyed weeds.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I like that you are into the lawn. In days of yore, you’d scold us about lawns and enjoyed weeds.

LOL.  I don't think I scolded.  Lawns have always been important to me.  Lots of seeding each year.  I wasn't fertilizing with well, etc.  You might recall I frequently would post pics of my mowed lawn from the prior Pit 1.

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

My pussy willow tree looks kind of similar to this right now.  Past the fuzzy soft stage and not leafed out yet.

That may be it. Looking it up now the leaves look similar to some trees I've seen over there on that side.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:54 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Why not wait till September to dethatch when it’s the best time to do so? 

Because I didn't do it in the fall last year and so it was a total mess after the snow melted. I'll probably do it in the fall this year, even though it should be light. Then I can just stick to that schedule.

It seems weird me asking advice. But the wet last year or so has transformed my shady area of lawn under Oak canopy into a moss playground. I have limed it so ph is fine. It’s just wet and not much sun. Should I get the moss killer and spread it do it turns black and rake it all out.? There’s a lot of it. And that would mean a core aeration and reseed of the area. Or should I just hit it with the moss killer fert and hope that works?