Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

26 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I asked him the same question.  I don't think he knows specifically.  I can't imagine seeing surface fertilizer impacting a subsurface well.  If I had to guess it's over 100' down.  He's surrounded by about 20 houses and he's in a rural area.  Just to his west is the vast expanse of the Hockomock Swamp.

Bigfoot.

I went to buy a 50 lb bag of 19-19-19 at the farm supply store the other day, and it felt like I was buying contraband fresh off the boat from Colombia. Had to ask for it by name, go in the back room, and promise the guy I wans't using it on my lawn before he would sell it to me... apparently it's illegal here to broadcast ferts containing phosphorous on lawns. Looked into it a little further and the exception was if you're starting a new lawn from scratch, or can prove to the state of NY via repeated soil tests that you're below a certain threshold of P. Pretty intense.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I went to buy a 50 lb bag of 19-19-19 at the farm supply store the other day, and it felt like I was buying contraband fresh off the boat from Colombia. Had to ask for it by name, go in the back room, and promise the guy I wans't using it on my lawn before he would sell it to me... apparently it's illegal here to broadcast ferts containing phosphorous on lawns. Looked into it a little further and the exception was if you're starting a new lawn from scratch, or can prove to the state of NY via repeated soil tests that you're below a certain threshold of P. Pretty intense.

Lesco?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, NYS banned phosphorous in lawn fertilizer a few years ago now so if you buy Lesco in NYS is doesn't include it.   Edit:  NYS banned it starting in 2012.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I didn't think they could anymore, I guess so?

You may be right and as Julian said in NY he was having trouble. Seems some states have the ban. Most Starter Fertilizers have a pretty high phosphorus count as its important in establishing a new lawn. They are normally like 18-24-12 or something in that range. The middle number(phosphorous) is normally 24 or 25 or so. 

I havent used phosphorous since 2009 when I redid my while lawn from scratch so I haven't really had the need for phosphorus in fert, so guess things have gotten strict since then. I do mostly organic now if I can, but will do some synthetic Nitrogen drops in the fall.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, NYS banned phosphorous in lawn fertilizer a few years ago now so if you buy Lesco in NYS is doesn't include it.   Edit:  NYS banned it starting in 2012.

Yea, didn't realize some states banned it. I mean it makes sense, there is no need to apply it unless you soil is deficient or your starting  a new lawn from scratch. And if you have a soil test that proves your low in P, then you can use it, even in the banned states.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m throwing down like 4-6” of loam and am going to seed the shit out of it and see what happens. 

make sure you have a solid plan for watering that grass seed, otherwise it will be a waste of time and money. 

18 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

You may be right and as Julian said in NY he was having trouble. Seems some states have the ban. Most Starter Fertilizers have a pretty high phosphorus count as its important in establishing a new lawn. They are normally like 18-24-12 or something in that range. The middle number(phosphorous) is normally 24 or 25 or so. 

I havent used phosphorous since 2009 when I redid my while lawn from scratch so I haven't really had the need for phosphorus in fert, so guess things have gotten strict since then. I do mostly organic now if I can, but will do some synthetic Nitrogen drops in the fall.

I just saw it today. I skipped that and just doing a preemergent with fert.