Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

3 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Selling this piece of lawn machinery to finance my new Deere 

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/grd/d/bryantville-2016-honda-hrx-217-lawn/6847799247.html

Those things a re a workhorse.  I bought my HRX in 2004.  I just recently had to replace the carburetor on it.  The drive cables have also had to be replaced but that's about it.  Pretty much a 1st pull start mower to this day.

On 3/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Those things a re a workhorse.  I bought my HRX in 2004.  I just recently had to replace the carburetor on it.  The drive cables have also had to be replaced but that's about it.  Pretty much a 1st pull start mower to this day.

Starts first pull every time and the hyrdostatic transmission is the balls.  Really want a Honda snowblower but I'm going to try the Deere snowblower on the tractor.  Dropped push mower to $375 

-Andrew

On 3/22/2019 at 2:44 PM, amarshall said:

Starts first pull every time and the hyrdostatic transmission is the balls.  Really want a Honda snowblower but I'm going to try the Deere snowblower on the tractor.  Dropped push mower to $375 

-Andrew

A word of caution. Tried that a few years ago when I first bought my current house and it was a disaster. Granted I live in snowland and my driveway is a quarter of a mile long, but even with weights and chain the JD125 we have would slip and get stuck all the time. Driveway is flat. Then one time we got an inch and a half of sleet and it couldn't do anything to it at all. That was the final straw (and happened on like day 85 of the 90 day return policy). Took it back to Lowes and got a plow. 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:56 AM, alex said:

A word of caution. Tried that a few years ago when I first bought my current house and it was a disaster. Granted I live in snowland and my driveway is a quarter of a mile long, but even with weights and chain the JD125 we have would slip and get stuck all the time. Driveway is flat. Then one time we got an inch and a half of sleet and it couldn't do anything to it at all. That was the final straw (and happened on like day 85 of the 90 day return policy). Took it back to Lowes and got a plow. 

You got the plow?  How does that work? 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just bought a house as many of you know. Yard is an absolute disaster. It’s a new build, and the sellers wanted nothing to do with landscape.

Will do before and after pictures. Phase 1 this weekend is putting stone down behind the house and under the deck 

Many times new home lawns are terrible and take years to establish. Just be patient. 

Well, I think we're doing some major overhaul of the backyard disaster, so I have nothing to concern myself with that at this point.

In the front though, I'm looking to just do a quick and dirty job without any real focus on ph-levels or any such things.  So......I'm guessing I need to:

1) rake out all the dead stuff

2) fertilize--any suggestions of type?  I figure that's more a concern for me at this stage than brand

3) seed.  How long after I fertilize?

Thanks!

Still have patches of snow and standing water. Parts of the lawn subsurface are still frozen. Despite that there’s some green blades coming up along the west side of the house. Soil temp is up to 34° so the full thaw is on today with 70° later.

3FDF1CF6-C95A-4244-811E-DC67C0FD5B7D.jpeg

7 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Well, I think we're doing some major overhaul of the backyard disaster, so I have nothing to concern myself with that at this point.

In the front though, I'm looking to just do a quick and dirty job without any real focus on ph-levels or any such things.  So......I'm guessing I need to:

1) rake out all the dead stuff

2) fertilize--any suggestions of type?  I figure that's more a concern for me at this stage than brand

3) seed.  How long after I fertilize?

Thanks!

Bumping this up for feedback before I put down any fertilizer (before tomorrow night's rain seems like a good time to get it down).  Advice on my 3 steps above welcome!

15 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Bumping this up for feedback before I put down any fertilizer (before tomorrow night's rain seems like a good time to get it down).  Advice on my 3 steps above welcome!

28 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I would not fertilize anywhere near my water supply.

If you use a pre-emergent like dimension, you won’t be able to seed in parallel. Need soil temps at least 50 for cool season grasses (eg fescues) before you seed. If / when you do seed use a starter fert. Definitely rake out the crap first.

7 minutes ago, S&P said:

If you use a pre-emergent like dimension, you won’t be able to seed in parallel. Need soil temps at least 50 for cool season grasses (eg fescues) before you seed. If / when you do seed use a starter fert. Definitely rake out the crap first.

Thanks....I raked it out yesterday.  With the upcoming rains, I feel good about putting the fertilizer in.  It's not a pre-emergent, but I think I'll let it do its stuff and then put down seed.  Perhaps next weekend will work given the rains this week to help the fertlizer get drawn in.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:30 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just bought a house as many of you know. Yard is an absolute disaster. It’s a new build, and the sellers wanted nothing to do with landscape.

Will do before and after pictures. Phase 1 this weekend is putting stone down behind the house and under the deck 

Look at you kid. Went from ashy to classy in a blink of an eye. Congrats.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:47 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can lawn fertilizer be used as normal with a well? Or is there something special I should buy?

How deep is your well? I don't use anything chemical, but I personally wouldn't take the chance. I'm not sure what studies show or what the recommended advice is. My well isn't that deep and I'm on a hillside so I'm a bit susceptible to what people up the hill on my side of the street do too. Given it's redneckville a few houses up I think most of the drainage down my hill has a bigger risk of contamination from rusted out garbage in the yard rather than lawn fertilizers. lol

53 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How deep is your well? I don't use anything chemical, but I personally wouldn't take the chance. I'm not sure what studies show or what the recommended advice is. My well isn't that deep and I'm on a hillside so I'm a bit susceptible to what people up the hill on my side of the street do too. Given it's redneckville a few houses up I think most of the drainage down my hill has a bigger risk of contamination from rusted out garbage in the yard rather than lawn fertilizers. lol

I asked him the same question.  I don't think he knows specifically.  I can't imagine seeing surface fertilizer impacting a subsurface well.  If I had to guess it's over 100' down.  He's surrounded by about 20 houses and he's in a rural area.  Just to his west is the vast expanse of the Hockomock Swamp.