• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

I'm seeing what an utter disaster the back yard is at this new pit.  They once had a pool that they must have had to do some excavation for. I need to bring in a shitload stuff and topsoil to work that.  I"m not sure that's going to be happening this year.  I think the front/side will be salvagable.  A few quick questions:

1) I imagine step one is just getting a soil test.  Do they have those at home depot/lowes?

2) Are there any initial things I should do regardless of the test results wrt to treatment?  

3) The front is east facing with little shade I'm guessing until mid-afternoon.  Would you use a full sun seed for that or would a mix suffice?

4) The side is more shaded and is on the north side.  I'm guessing a sun/shade mix would suffice on that as I'm not sure how 'shady' a true shade mix requires.

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm seeing what an utter disaster the back yard is at this new pit.  They once had a pool that they must have had to do some excavation for. I need to bring in a shitload stuff and topsoil to work that.  I"m not sure that's going to be happening this year.  I think the front/side will be salvagable.  A few quick questions:

1) I imagine step one is just getting a soil test.  Do they have those at home depot/lowes?

2) Are there any initial things I should do regardless of the test results wrt to treatment?  

3) The front is east facing with little shade I'm guessing until mid-afternoon.  Would you use a full sun seed for that or would a mix suffice?

4) The side is more shaded and is on the north side.  I'm guessing a sun/shade mix would suffice on that as I'm not sure how 'shady' a true shade mix requires.

UMass has a mail in soil testing program. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

Going to make a little investment in a green tractor. Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

what model are you thinking about? i have an older LA1xx series tractor. it has been great, but am ready to upgrade to an X3xx series

On 3/14/2019 at 7:20 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

And in a month or so we all will be overrun with these

fJCa2Lk.jpg

Think it is going to be the worst yet in western Mass. I've never seen so many nests on trees. Last fall I sprayed/removed about 50-60 nests around our woods and it looks like I did not put a dent in them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What town are you in?

Belchertown

When skiing in the Holyoke Range one day this year one tree had over 40 on it just in the first 3-4'. We have two trees on the edge of our property on the road that look to be on their way out. Something about this area...

Image result for gypsy moth massachusetts

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They crushed Ware, Ludlow , Monson areas last 2 years so it makes sense they’ve moved west 

We heated part of our home, and will heat the whole thing next year, due to them. The number of dying trees along the roads have made it so town/state/electrical companies, etc. just go around dropping trees next to the road and just leave the pieces for people to scrounge over. I have 2.5-3 full cords of oak ready for next year in our yard from roadsides. Will start scrounging for 2020-2021 soon.