Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13th-14th Severe Weather

HillsdaleMIWeather

2 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Wow, Seymour cell is really intense.

1 minute ago, chuckster2012 said:

Moving toward me rn! Pray for me!

TVS on that cell.  Now is the time to take cover if it's close.  Hope you have a safe space to go to.

24 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Yeah that one has a bead on you, and has had a few scans where it looked close to producing 

Had a decent hail core on it (1.50" report from Dyer)... kinda skirted by here at work but probably hit back home.  

11 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Definitely weakening trend in cells as they push east, less TOR and SVR overall.

It's still early. We have to see if any instability can build after this rain to the east before the front comes through. Models showing a decent amount building with pretty good shear and helicity readings so maybe something can come of it. Regardless I'm just excited for some warmth, any serve would be a welcome bonus

9 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

It's still early. We have to see if any instability can build after this rain to the east before the front comes through. Models showing a decent amount building with pretty good shear and helicity readings so maybe something can come of it. Regardless I'm just excited for some warmth, any serve would be a welcome bonus

Kind of a Hail Mary pitch imo but still not unreasonable. Round one, however, is DOA. We were close time and time again to getting some atmospheric recovery but wave after wave of strat rain has hampered that prospect

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

As is the one just SE of there 

Believe that is this cell?

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
213 PM CDT THU MAR 14 2019

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0151 PM     TSTM WND DMG     2 SSE LOWELL            41.27N 87.41W
03/14/2019                   LAKE               IN   AMATEUR RADIO

FUNNEL CLOUD WAS REPORTED. SEVEN POWER LINES
            DOWN, AS WELL AS SEVERAL PINE TREES WHICH
            ARE 30-40 FEET TALL AND 1-2 FT IN DIAMETER.
            LIGHT ROOF DAMAGE TO A BARN AND FARMHOUSE.
            DAMAGE PATH APPEARS TO BE AROUND 250 YARDS.
            POSSIBLE TORNADO DAMAGE.

&&

$$

ACS

Some of these storms are quickly dropping and lifting tornadoes.  Storms are racing to the northeast, which means people won’t have much time to prepare before a storm treks across their areas.  Given these factors, I think there’s been a bit of hesitancy with the issuance of tornado warnings.  About six storms I’ve following today have been severe warned despite displaying decent signatures on reflectivity and velocity maps.  The one near Louisville, as well as the storms approaching south bend right now are examples.  Plenty in Alabama. They could put down a quick tornado any second.  There have already been warnings issued after storms have already put down a quick tornado.

I'm wondering a bit more about that supercell that is now midway between Louisville and Cincinnati (the one following the Ohio River), near Madison, IN.  No tornado warning on it but it looks pretty potent on radar (at least in terms of the colors being displayed).

And just as I type this, a tornado warning goes up for another cell just west of Dayton, OH.

49 minutes ago, geddyweather said:

Kind of a Hail Mary pitch imo but still not unreasonable. Round one, however, is DOA. We were close time and time again to getting some atmospheric recovery but wave after wave of strat rain has hampered that prospect

Yeah I'm not sure why people were already mailing it in. 5-730 looked like the prime window anyways

And just like that the tornado warning west of Dayton is cancelled.

That said, the supercell about to move into the Cincinnati metro area looks pretty powerful compared to the other storms on the radar.  It is severe-warned for 70 mph wind gusts and half-dollar size hail.  EDIT: it is now tornado-warned too.  EDIT 2: it seems like a tight rotation is trying to move into Florence, KY per WLWT livestream.

It seems like it wants to follow the I-71 corridor, so if it can hold together that long then even Columbus might be in its path later on as well.

Both the RAP and the HRRR are pointing to the development of a new area of storm development for Indiana and Michigan. On satellite right now there is a large area of zero clouds and we still have about 2 hours left of surface heating. Will be interesting if this develops.

• Like 1