• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2019 Flooding Thread

Geoboy645

Considering it looks like this week is going to be the start of the melt, might as well start a thread for flooding. This year looks to be a potentially very interesting year in the Mississippi basin for flooding. Several areas have already high soil moisture and with the pretty extreme snowpack up north, we could be in for some major issues come early April.

Numerous road closures in southern Wisconsin due to flooding, including some not too far from you, Geoboy. SR-44 between Marcellon and Dalton, and SR-68 between Fox Lake and Waupun.

The state system is experiencing flooding as a result of spring thaw, heavy snow this winter, and rain in some areas of the state. There is a growing list of highway closures and restrictions that is changing hourly. We remind carriers/drivers to check 511 hourly as conditions are changing that quickly. Local road closures and restrictions are not in the 511 system and drivers are reminded to follow local system closures or posted restrictions.

Just drove around the area a bit. Water is the highest since 2008, it's even higher than last august's flooding. No local road closures yet but wouldn't be surprised if we get some in the morning.We are so screwed if we get any major rain event at all this spring. These conditions are very similar to the antecedent conditions before 08.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Geoboy645 said:

Just drove around the area a bit. Water is the highest since 2008, it's even higher than last august's flooding. No local road closures yet but wouldn't be surprised if we get some in the morning.We are so screwed if we get any major rain event at all this spring. These conditions are very similar to the antecedent conditions before 08.

Apparently there is now significant flooding in Fond du Lac, Lodi and Darlington.

I've heard it said that my area is immune to flooding because it's basically built on a giant sand bar.  Well, turns out that logic doesn't hold up when the ground is frozen.  This torch (three days, almost 60° today, with sun) melted about two-thirds of the snow pack.  Throw on the 1.5" of rain and there's a lot of urban flooding.  Some county roads are underwater too.  I've also heard word of some basements taking on water.  Sump pumps have been selling well locally.

So with all that I am glad the torch is over.  It should be downhill (no pun intended) from here.  And things could have been worse  The snow pack is I'd say about 6" average depth and has plenty of water yet to give.

33 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Apparently there is now significant flooding in Fond du Lac, Lodi and Darlington.

Yeah apparently there is an ice jam on the fond du lac just below downtown. In Lodi there was a jam on spring creek in between town and Lake Wisconsin and with Darlington it's just natural flooding from the Pecatonica. I wonder if the ice jams aren't because there is a bunch of water trying to get into still very frozen lakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikcarsky said:

I've heard it said that my area is immune to flooding because it's basically built on a giant sand bar.  Well, turns out that logic doesn't hold up when the ground is frozen.  This torch (three days, almost 60° today, with sun) melted about two-thirds of the snow pack.  Throw on the 1.5" of rain and there's a lot of urban flooding.  Some county roads are underwater too.  I've also heard word of some basements taking on water.  Sump pumps have been selling well locally.

So with all that I am glad the torch is over.  It should be downhill (no pun intended) from here.  And things could have been worse  The snow pack is I'd say about 6" average depth and has plenty of water yet to give.

Not quite sure where you're at but sand bars are created by rivers and especially floods?  That logic as stated doesn't make sense to me.  I've been told my area doesn't get tornadoes as much as surrounding areas because we're in a valley.  Yeah my area was a bit of a low lying swampy area 200 years ago and yeah our elevation is maybe 50 to 100 feet lower than the surrounding areas and there's ancient river beds around here but that ain't why tornadoes haven't struck here lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

Not quite sure where you're at but sand bars are created by rivers and especially floods?  That logic as stated doesn't make sense to me.  I've been told my area doesn't get tornadoes as much as surrounding areas because we're in a valley.  Yeah my area was a bit of a low lying swampy area 200 years ago and yeah our elevation is maybe 50 to 100 feet lower than the surrounding areas and there's ancient river beds around here but that ain't why tornadoes haven't struck here lol.

It's not literally a sand bar.  Poor analogy.  The point I was making is that the soil is very sandy and permeable in this region, and ordinarily puddles have very poor staying power...when the ground isn't frozen solid that is.

• Like 1

It's starting to get pretty bad here. The water has flooded the entire park below the bridge and is about halfway through the school's front parking lot and starting to flood the street a bit. The river is still going up too. I got a feeling the main road to 16 is shut at the river. If 16 gets flooded were in a world of crap getting out of town.

ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
FLASH FLOOD WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NEBRASKA  
ISSUED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HASTINGS NE  
1037 AM CDT SAT MAR 16 2019  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OMAHA HAS ISSUED A  

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  
  A LEVEE FAILURE IN...  
  WESTERN FREMONT COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN IOWA...  
  SOUTHWESTERN MILLS COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN IOWA...  

* UNTIL 1030 PM CDT SATURDAY.  

* AT 1029 AM CDT, CORPS OF ENGINEERS REPORTED AT LEAST TWO LEVEE   
  FAILURES AND A LEVEE BREACH ALONG THE IOWA SIDE OF THE MISSOURI   
  RIVER. GOING NORTH TO SOUTH, THE FIRST IS IN IOWA ACROSS FROM THE   
  OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE (THIS IS A SUSPECTED BREACH), THE SECOND IS   
  A FEW MILES SOUTH OF PLATTSMOUTH ON THE IOWA SIDE (SUSPECTED   
  FAILURE), AND THE THIRD IS ACROSS FROM NEBRASKA CITY ON THE IOWA   
  SIDE (SUSPECTED FAILURE). WATER WILL QUICKLY FILL UP LOW LANDS   
  BEHIND THE LEVEES, AND WILL LEAD TO RAPIDLY RISING WATER LEVELS.   
  PLEASE MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND NOW!  

ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
FLASH FLOOD WARNING  
858 AM CDT SAT MAR 16 2019  

..FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR FREMONT  

A LEVEE FAILURE IN...  
  SOUTHEASTERN DODGE COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEBRASKA...  

* UNTIL 900 PM CDT SATURDAY.  

* AT 855 AM CDT, LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A LEVEE BREACH ON   
  THE NORTHWEST SIDE OF TOWN ALONG THE PLATTE RIVER HAS FAILED WHICH   
  WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING SHORTLY OF THE IMMEDIATELY SURROUNDING   
  AREAS. RESIDENTS ARE URGED TO MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND NOW!  

THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR FREMONT. SEEK HIGHER GROUND   
  NOW!  

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  

MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND NOW. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND  
LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL UNLESS YOU A

you can see evidence of this by the drop of river levels at Brownsville

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
FLASH FLOOD WARNING  
458 PM CDT SAT MAR 16 2019  

A LEVEE FAILURE IN...  
  NORTHEASTERN NEMAHA COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN NEBRASKA...  

* UNTIL 500 AM CDT SUNDAY.  

* AT 455 PM CDT, LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TWO BREACHES IN   
  THE LEVEE ON THE MISSOURI RIVER JUST NORTH OF PERU, WHICH WILL   
  CAUSE RAPIDLY RISING WATER LEVELS IN THE IMMEDIATELY SURROUNDING   
  AREAS. PLEASE MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND NOW!  

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...