• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather

SENC

Instability, shear and helicity seem to be just south of Albany, GA at the present time and hugging the bulk of the line racing through the south.  If forecasts are to be true, may see quite a bit of warm sector action today in southern GA. IMO with the high likelihood of quite a few wind reports with that line, in addition to decent tornado chances ahead of it and embedded within, the SPC should go ENH ASAP

1 hour ago, joshwx2003 said:

958am - CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE reports in George County, MS. This is a CONFIRMED TORNADO moving into the Wilmer, AL area in western Mobile County.  
Not Good...

From @NWSMobile

There may be the possibility this tornado was on the ground for some time before warning came out, based on radar presentation leading up to the warning. 

Just now, Chinook said:

It looks like a tornado tracked from Baker Hill, AL (south of Eufaula,) to Springvale GA.

Tons of QLCS tornadoes in this line. I'll admit I am shocked how strong these helicity numbers are, but think the lack of instability north of Columbus, GA may be too much of hinderance for this to be very widespread. It is early in the afternoon though

8 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Tons of QLCS tornadoes in this line. I'll admit I am shocked how strong these helicity numbers are, but think the lack of instability north of Columbus, GA may be too much of hinderance for this to be very widespread. It is early in the afternoon though

With this severe weather threat moving east, Valdosta/Moody AFB radar is not working at this time.

I don't see us here in Charleston getting too much in the way of severe weather unless that warm front hurries itself on through.  Lots of good ingredients hanging out just offshore that would make this a true severe event.  

I notice the air is rather cold behind this front, only 50 degrees currently in Huntsville. That's some Ohio type of temperature for 3 PM a day from April

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 715 PM EDT
FOR NORTHWESTERN ST. JOHNS...EASTERN BAKER...NORTHERN CLAY AND
SOUTHERN DUVAL COUNTIES...

At 639 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Maxville, or 8
miles northwest of Middleburg, moving east at 50 mph.

This is a very dangerous storm.

HAZARD...90 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may
         be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes
         will be heavily damaged or destroyed. Homes and businesses
         will have substantial roof and window damage. Expect
         extensive tree damage and power outages.

Locations impacted include...
Orange Park, Green Cove Springs, Middleburg, Mandarin, Fruit Cove,
World Golf Village, Maxville, Fleming Island, Baymeadows and Durbin.

Well, this is highly concerning moving into a highly populated area of southern metro Jax.

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

Looks like the SPC is banking on a derecho tomorrow.  I could see the storms kicking up off the mountains tomorrow bringing some basic severe weather with that vort hanging around, and then a derecho sweeping through tomorrow night in the Virginias

Let’s hope not...

Just had a nice severe warned storm move thru with heavy rain and pea sized hail. First hail I have seen in many years. Picked up .49" real quick. Also dropped our temp from 75 to 65.

EDIT: 2nd severe warned storm came thru and boy did it get dark but only got some wind and rain out of it. Total from both storms .65"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Slight is gone for NC. As far as a derecho, it would not only have to be a long track swath of damaging winds but also numerous gusts of 75+

Storms look isolated at best per Hi-res modeling. Hoping for widespread rain to pan out Sunday without a severe threat. It is getting dry. 

• 3 weeks later...
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC
740 PM EDT Sat Apr 25 2020

The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Greenville County in Upstate South Carolina...
  Northwestern Spartanburg County in Upstate South Carolina...

* Until 815 PM EDT.

* At 740 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located 8 miles north of Greenville Downtown, or near Paris
  Mountain State Park, moving east at 40 mph.

And another...

750 PM EDT Sat Apr 25 2020

The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Rabun County in northeastern Georgia...
  Southeastern Macon County in western North Carolina...
  Northwestern Oconee County in Upstate South Carolina...

* Until 815 PM EDT.

* At 749 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located near Clayton, moving east at 40 mph.

Don't know wind speed but had to be 70+ in Morehead City where I'm at when that line came through. Did something to the roof because we have water pouring in through the ceiling. I was here for Dorian and had not such issues. Didn't blow trash cans over. They're in the neighbor's yard across the street... 

12 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Don't know wind speed but had to be 70+ in Morehead City where I'm at when that line came through. Did something to the roof because we have water pouring in through the ceiling. I was here for Dorian and had not such issues. Didn't blow trash cans over. They're in the neighbor's yard across the street... 

Wow, luckily it wasn't that bad here. Probably around 40 mph tops but very intense rain with wind changing directions a few times. Very nice squall line for us, intense but no damage.