• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather

SENC

Does anyone know an official number of tornados for NC this year? I know of the 13 in the Raleigh zone one in Tyrell county for MHX and then Stanley county so that's only 15 that I can verify. I know of a couple of other tornado warned storms in our area and a few more up around mt airy but cant find anything on confimations.

51 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Does anyone know an official number of tornados for NC this year? I know of the 13 in the Raleigh zone one in Tyrell county for MHX and then Stanley county so that's only 15 that I can verify. I know of a couple of other tornado warned storms in our area and a few more up around mt airy but cant find anything on confimations.

2019+tornado+reports.PNG

https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Texas-Leads-US-in-Tornado-Count-for-2019-510667461.html

...GA/SC/NC/VA...
   Another convectively aided shortwave trough is noted over eastern
   KY/TN.  This feature will track across the mountains and into
   southern VA and the Carolinas this afternoon.  A very moist and
   moderately unstable air mass is present over this region, with
   sufficient daytime heating to help initiate storms. 12z CAMs are
   consistent in developing multiple lines of storms across this area
   later today.  Sufficient westerly flow aloft and degree of CAPE
   suggest a risk of damaging winds and hail with the activity. 
   Organized and occasionally severe storms are possible as far south
   as eastern GA today.
  • Like 1

Mesoscale Discussion 984
< Previous MD         Next MD >
MD 984 graphic
   Mesoscale Discussion 0984
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1152 AM CDT Wed Jun 05 2019

Areas affected...South and North Carolina through southern and
   central Virginia...Maryland and Delaware

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely 

Valid 051652Z - 051845Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent

19 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Line that just went through the Triad was amping up the whole time.  Very heavy rain, maybe some pea size hail and some solid lighting activity.  Radar is loaded.  Wouldnt want to be in central and eastern NC today if all of these cells start going severe.

It weakened quite a bit. Must have hit a pocket of higher instability earlier

2 hours ago, Solak said:

Lost power for almost 2 hours.

2 rounds of storms, 1.60" =/-, and the rainy stuff is still a few days away! We're gonna be :raining::flood:

Lucky you. Amazing what difference being one state to the north can do. We are getting close to a month without measurable rain here, and I'm skeptical that this pattern will produce for my area.

Thursday we got a Slight going in Mississippi. That's more Deep South than our Tennessee Valley region so I will opine here. 

Surface low in Louisiana will track through southern/central Mississippi toward the Mississippi/Alabama border by 00Z. This little guy is what ginned up in southeast Texas after the Gulf disturbance came onshore. It should provide good low level shear and backed surface winds. At the same time a mid-latitude upper low sweeps in, with WSW winds aloft. That is key, vs unidirectional. Questionable ingredient is instability. LLJ prog is most robust MS/AL border toward 00Z.

Friday the small surface low ejects off into the Carolinas, but the LLJ is forecast to veer off and/or weaken. Upper to mid-level wind remains WSW but weaker than on Thursday. Different short-wave timing (still 36+ hr out) could change things upstairs. Tis the season to watch those Carolina west-east boundaries, and one is forecast on Friday. In fact the sfc low is forecast to ride it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Louisiana is getting hit with tornadoes now. I guess it's not considered in the SE here, but I've been watching coverage from a station in New Orleans. They have a confirmed tornado with debris showing on radar.

https://www.wwltv.com/live-video

Don't want the severe weather, but would love to see the better rain coverage folks to our SW are currently getting.