• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Something blew through here. My poor husband got caught in a gust dropped his phone, the mail, his paychecks while grabbing the full view door to get in the house. Thankfully he held on got in the house to find I left the kitchen window open so he cleaned up the water on the floor when our son called to say look out back. We lost a shed.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

If anyone has a shoot of the radar at 4:45-4:50 pm please post it for me?   

Scanner had multiple calls near here.  One was for a residential rescue. Then I didn’t hear anything else except the poor guys arguing about where they needed the fire police.  All is calm now.  Thinking it was a brief event whatever it was.

35 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

Scanner had multiple calls near here.  One was for a residential rescue. Then I didn’t hear anything else except the poor guys arguing about where they needed the fire police.  All is calm now.  Thinking it was a brief event whatever it was.

https://weather.us/radar-us/chester/reflectivity/KDIX_20190426-204151z.html

Here is a solid radar archiving website! You might want to check it out for yourself... I'll post the radar capture for 4:40 PM (Because of DST, the time is off by an hour on the website)

us-radarus-en-087-0-2019-04-26-3980-KDIX

us-radarus-en-087-0-2019-04-26-3980-KDIX

It looks to me like there is a little appendage over your area on this frame... There very well could've been a spin-up at this time!

https://www.weather.gov/crh/stormreports?sid=dvn

You should file in a storm report, and describe the damage & wind intensity + the possibility that this could've been a spin-up in the QLCS. Impressive stuff, Lady Di!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

Before my data aged out, i went through it again and did a zoom of your area from ~4:41pm - 4:48 pm.

radar-superzoom-for-awx-04262019.png

radar-superzoom-for-awx1-04262019.png

radar-superzoom-for-awx2-04262019.png

radar-superzoom-for-awx3-04262019.png

• Like 1

Thank you both.  I am not a trained spotter by any means.  Correct me if I’m wrong but I would summarize that it was a very brief very short spin but probably a straight line wind based on the break you can see in between the red on radar that could have blew through my home location.  I had no witness to any of this leaving work and  driving just 5 miles home which is south or southwest.  It seemed like your typical squall line passing to  me.  Fascinating stuff.  

• Like 2

Thank you both.  I am not a trained spotter by any means.  Correct me if I’m wrong but I would summarize that it was a very brief very short spin but probably a straight line wind based on the break you can see in between the red on radar that could have blew through my home location.  I had no witness to any of this leaving work and  driving just 5 miles home which is south or southwest.  It seemed like your typical squall line passing to  me.  Fascinating stuff.  

This is is the one. I think.   radar-superzoom-for-awx2-04262019.png

1 hour ago, Lady Di said:

Correct.  No rotation there.  Just straight line winds.  Velocity looks like near 60 MPH, but that's from over five thousand feet up.  Could have mostly transferred down, though.  

11 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Hope I get to experience strong to severe before 2037 

I just want lightning.  Only had one storm last year with enough lightning (at night) that was worth shooting.  And that was in October.  Only one printable photo of lightning since July 2017.  

• Like 1

I ended up with a total of 0.89" yesterday, with 0.55" of that coming with the squall line.  The high was 69 yesterday before the heaviest rain hit.  The cold air behind the front eventually got me down to a low of 49 this morning, even with all the wind, and it has struggled to hit 65 today.  Currently 64, partly cloudy, and very breezy.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, Lady Di said:

These are pretty sturdy metal chairs. This is where the wind placed them.  

B1624AAE-71AF-4F15-9317-E59C99844041.jpeg

I must say your umbrella wrapped up looks like something "questionable??" But yeah, the winds were kicking pretty good. I usually like to wear a baseball cap but today no chance. It would have blew off and halfway down the street within 5 seconds... 

3 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Larry Cosgrove thinks we will start to dry out and warm up in the longer term outlook of his weekly newsletter. He also says we are probably going to have a hazy, hot and humid summer.

May/may not happen but reading this put a damper on my day

Looks like a wet week ahead...