Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,389
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    crossbowftw3
    Newest Member
    crossbowftw3
    Joined
LP08

March 8th Light Snow

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Is this the kind of system that can jump north at the last minute? I'm not a fan of the trends since yesterday.

pretty sure that's mostly the case always.  you not a fan of the south trend look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mappy said:

oh cool, another lame ass event to track. dusting to 1 for most. done. see you in spring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

pretty sure that's mostly the case always.  you not a fan of the south trend look?

It's probably good for the southern members of the forum, but unfortunately this system is too small to make everyone happy.

I'm looking to make a trip to Canaan and it's looking much drier than yesterday. Still 1-3" would be nice, but I was hoping for more. Snowshoe looks better but it's way too expensive for me, not to mention pretty far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mappy said:

oh cool, another lame ass event to track. dusting to 1 for most. done. see you at 18z

sounds good

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mappy said:

oh cool, another lame ass event to track. dusting to 1 for most. done. see you in spring. 

You are back. Is it spring already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WesternFringe said:

You are back. Is it spring already?

yes, yes it is. I'm mapping tornado outbreaks now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yeoman said:

sounds good

i haven't even looked at a model run for this :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LP08 said:

It’s better for us but the surface is just a killer.  Never below 33-35 so while we get a few hours of steady snow, not much in the way stickage.  I think west of the fall line and out towards Leesburg will do better than last weekend.

Dont worry, snow will stick to the frozen tundra regardless of air temps.  Surface and air are different things, so there can be no heat transfer between them.  It's physics, you see.. Learned it yesterday.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Dont worry, snow will stick to the frozen tundra regardless of air temps.  Surface and air are different things, so there can be no heat transfer between them.  It's physics, you see.. Learned it yesterday.

I missed that lecture. Who was the professor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I missed that lecture. Who was the professor?

Apparently a friend of someone's mother on here, or so he claimed.  Very knowledgeable fellow.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol what happened to the euro...it pulled the rug out again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Dont worry, snow will stick to the frozen tundra regardless of air temps.  Surface and air are different things, so there can be no heat transfer between them.  It's physics, you see.. Learned it yesterday.

Seems like you might've skipped that class. Ever heard of specific heat? The capacity of the ground is about 2.5-3x that of the air right now given how wet the soil is. Yea there's heat transfer but 5 hours of ~35 degree air before precip isn't going to do much.

I'm a full time engineer. I eat energy transfer for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ji said:

Lol what happened to the euro...it pulled the rug out again

The Euro needs to stop being held in such high regard. It's still probably the best model but it's no longer the king it once was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TSG said:

Seems like you might've skipped that class. Ever heard of specific heat? The capacity of the ground is about 2.5-3x that of the air right now given how wet the soil is. Yea there's heat transfer but 5 hours of ~35 degree air before precip isn't going to do much.

I'm a full time engineer. I eat energy transfer for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'm an engineer too.  Your analysis is very flawed.  Snow sticking depends solely on surface boundary conditions.  With insolation, convection, and conduction that boundary will very quickly reach ambient temps.  Deeper soil could be colder.... doesnt matter. 

Keep us updated on your accumulations tomorrow afternoon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

So we’re basically down to the NAM for this thing? 

embrace the coming of spring, friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I'm an engineer too.  Your analysis is very flawed.  Snow sticking depends solely on surface boundary conditions.  With insolation, convection, and conduction that boundary will very quickly reach ambient temps.  Deeper soil could be colder.... doesnt matter. 

Keep us updated on your accumulations tomorrow afternoon.

Reminds of the old joke about what happens when two engineers collide on a weather forum for snow weenies lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

So we’re basically down to the NAM for this thing? 

It’s never failed us before.  All in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mappy said:

embrace the coming of spring, friend. 

I am all about a warm and dry April and May. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I'm an engineer too.  Your analysis is very flawed.  Snow sticking depends solely on surface boundary conditions.  With insolation, convection, and conduction that boundary will very quickly reach ambient temps.  Deeper soil could be colder.... doesnt matter. 

Keep us updated on your accumulations tomorrow afternoon.

well the 3k has your ambient temps peaking at 33F tomorrow... Cloud cover is in place by 9am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I was being waggish.

So was I, but damn it really does show a torch :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TSG said:

well the 3k has your ambient temps peaking at 33F tomorrow... Cloud cover is in place by 9am. 

Better snow like gangbusters, then.  Or come after dusk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×