Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 8th Light Snow

LP08

3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

pretty sure that's mostly the case always.  you not a fan of the south trend look?

It's probably good for the southern members of the forum, but unfortunately this system is too small to make everyone happy.

I'm looking to make a trip to Canaan and it's looking much drier than yesterday. Still 1-3" would be nice, but I was hoping for more. Snowshoe looks better but it's way too expensive for me, not to mention pretty far.

4 hours ago, LP08 said:

It’s better for us but the surface is just a killer.  Never below 33-35 so while we get a few hours of steady snow, not much in the way stickage.  I think west of the fall line and out towards Leesburg will do better than last weekend.

Dont worry, snow will stick to the frozen tundra regardless of air temps.  Surface and air are different things, so there can be no heat transfer between them.  It's physics, you see.. Learned it yesterday.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Dont worry, snow will stick to the frozen tundra regardless of air temps.  Surface and air are different things, so there can be no heat transfer between them.  It's physics, you see.. Learned it yesterday.

I missed that lecture. Who was the professor?

39 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Seems like you might've skipped that class. Ever heard of specific heat? The capacity of the ground is about 2.5-3x that of the air right now given how wet the soil is. Yea there's heat transfer but 5 hours of ~35 degree air before precip isn't going to do much.

I'm a full time engineer. I eat energy transfer for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Like 2

Just now, TSG said:

Seems like you might've skipped that class. Ever heard of specific heat? The capacity of the ground is about 2.5-3x that of the air right now given how wet the soil is. Yea there's heat transfer but 5 hours of ~35 degree air before precip isn't going to do much.

I'm a full time engineer. I eat energy transfer for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'm an engineer too.  Your analysis is very flawed.  Snow sticking depends solely on surface boundary conditions.  With insolation, convection, and conduction that boundary will very quickly reach ambient temps.  Deeper soil could be colder.... doesnt matter. 

Keep us updated on your accumulations tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I'm an engineer too.  Your analysis is very flawed.  Snow sticking depends solely on surface boundary conditions.  With insolation, convection, and conduction that boundary will very quickly reach ambient temps.  Deeper soil could be colder.... doesnt matter. 

Reminds of the old joke about what happens when two engineers collide on a weather forum for snow weenies lol

10 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

well the 3k has your ambient temps peaking at 33F tomorrow... Cloud cover is in place by 9am.