• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Help me say good bye to a dear friend, and a true legend.

Cold Miser

It saddens me to say that my snow thrower, White Out will made his final cut last night.  It was fitting that in a season where he went un-used up until last night that his final run was for a good ole fashioned, days of yore, 15" storm. 

White Out was purchased 20 years ago this year at a now non-existent small engine shop in Canton, Mass.  He has helped me through some of the toughest winters in both the Boston area as well as here in Connecticut, including the unforgettable winter of 2014/15 where he carved his way through 100" of pure joy.  He has also been there for the down times...always waiting, and wanting to sink his teeth into a new coating of white gold...Including the infamous winter of 2011/2012...A bleak moment in SNE winter history, but also stark reminder that Mother Nature holds all of the cards.  And if she says snow ain't comin' then it ain't comin' and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sometimes we didn't always get along, like the numerous occasions where I pushed him hard to clear many inches of plow driven man snow away from the base of the driveway. There were also those days where I waited too long after a storm and found myself forcing him to cut into a frozen pack.  But we were good together, and good for each other.  Through the good and the bad White Out was always reliable...always there for me...always eager to serve.  Even though he was never excited about the gravel driveway, I knew that he was just a new sheer pin away from happiness.    

Now, as I move on it is time for White Out and me to go our separate ways.  I will be giving him to a friend who needs him.  This new situation will be perfect as WO is beginning to show his age.  He will be given an easy, double wide, flat asphalt driveway to clear.  No more stones caught in the auger...No more pot holes and rugged terrain...No more doubling back, multiple times to clear huge swaths of driveway, and no more tough, bumpy, uphill climbs...No more parked in an exposed lean-to, covered with a tarp, with the wind whipping at your chute. 

Here's to you my friend.  I hope you continue to satisfy your need to feed, while living a long and fruitful life at your new home.  
Take care

Pics of last nights final cut...

20190304_180602.jpg

20190304_185418.jpg

20190304_192202.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

It saddens me to say that my snow thrower, White Out will made his final cut last night.  It was fitting that in a season where he went un-used up until last night that his final run was for a good ole fashioned, days of yore, 15" storm. 

White Out was purchased 20 years ago this year at a now non-existent small engine shop in Canton, Mass.  He has helped me through some of the toughest winters in both the Boston area as well as here in Connecticut, including the unforgettable winter of 2014/15 where he carved his way through 100" of pure joy.  He has also been there for the down times...always waiting, and wanting to sink his teeth into a new coating of white gold...Including the infamous winter of 2011/2012...A bleak moment in SNE winter history, but also stark reminder that Mother Nature holds all of the cards.  And if she says snow ain't comin' then it ain't comin' and there's nothing you can do about it.
Sometimes we didn't always get along, like the numerous occasions where I pushed him hard to clear many inches of plow driven man snow away from the base of the driveway. There were also those days where I waited too long after a storm and found myself forcing him to cut into a frozen pack.  But we were good together, and good for each other.  Through the good and the bad White Out was always reliable...always there for me...always eager to serve.  Even though he was never excited about the gravel driveway, I knew that he was just a new sheer pin away from happiness.    

Now, as I move on it is time for White Out and me to go our separate ways.  I will be giving him to a friend who needs him.  This new situation will be perfect as WO is beginning to show his age.  He will be given an easy, double wide, flat asphalt driveway to clear.  No more stones caught in the auger...No more pot holes and rugged terrain...No more doubling back, multiple times to clear huge swaths of driveway, and no more tough, bumpy, uphill climbs...No more parked in an exposed lean-to, covered with a tarp, with the wind whipping at your chute. 

Here's to you my friend.  I hope you continue to satisfy your need to feed, while living a long and fruitful life at your new home.  
Take care

Pics of last nights final cut...
20190304_180602.jpg.fd81feaf43f31acf9ce511dc91626cf0.jpg
20190304_185418.jpg.6ffbc5ba224e1ee47150a198a9469028.jpg
20190304_192202.jpg.0476145298136294b8ef164baa86fb38.jpg
Prayers for your loss.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reminds me of when my Craftsman Trac 26 transmission went kaput after 16 years of my use and 8-10 more by my dad, from whom I inherited it after he passed in Dec. 1993.  Machine ran just fine but would only travel in reverse - parts that take engine power to the drive plate were too far worn to allow contact, and after considerable internet search for parts (all without success) I regretfully gave the carcass to a friend who could make use of the motor.  That critter was slow but unstoppable, unless I threw a track, which happened about once every 2 years and took about 15 minutes to fix - 14 to remember how and 1 to do it.  Also somewhat cold-blooded - temps much under 20 required the rapid cranking of the electric starter.  My current (bought Jan 2011) standard variety Craftsman isn't half the machine, but it's never needed the electric start, even at -5, about the coldest I've used it.