• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9 severe aspects

Indystorm

PAH already talking about strong to svr storms for Sat. in their CWA.  ERTAF has an above average outlook for tornadoes with medium confidence for their second week beginning March 10-16 extending up to the Ohio River valley and far southern IL.  With a second system on GFS for midweek things could get active  even this far north if the low deepens and takes on a strong negative tilt to let the WF surge northward.  Ryan at KIND thinks the season could be a fairly active one if the current pattern persists.

Once deeper into April and May, these neg tilt troughs and intense low pressures to our NW would spell trouble forsure. Only thing I can think we've been missing is the instability aspect for the OH valley. Kinematics have definately been there. Still 4-5 days out, but this system looks to be lacking in the instability department as well, similar to the last. 

That's certainly a deep low being forecast by the models ATM, GFS down into the 970's as it cuts through IA/WI.  While instability is currently lacking as forecast atm, SRH seems pegged and aligned and as Southern said Kinematics are there if can overcome the shear.   I'd like to see it slow down some, dig a little farther in the plains and get a little more time with a southerly surface flow from the gulf, currently models are showing cool E/SE flow up to and inside 24hrs  It should be coming onshore tomorrow so we'll see where and get a better feel for the strength.  Regardless up here as Indy said it could very well get interesting in far southern parts of the sub.:weenie: 

The increased sunshine over AL and GA certainly helped raise CAPE over a 1000  compared to areas farther west in the recent Southeast outbreak.  Instability is always an issue in early spring season storms, particularly this far north in the Ohio Valley.  But other parameters being favorable I tend to give helicity and high dew point the cutting edge in tornado production.  I do think areas of the South will be at risk once again. We'll just have to see how far north the svr storms will extend. 

• Like 2

Don't know if this is just the NAM being the NAM or if there is any real legitimacy to it.  But I will keep watching the PAH and EVV areas on Sat. for sure.  Depends on if storms can play that WF.  That CAPE and helicity are both increasing though.  We'll see if it holds in future runs.

• Like 1

Theta-E keeps nudging North.  It won't take a lot of increase in instability to maybe get some things going in the far southern parts of the sub.  The window of time may be fairly short.....

sfcthetae_b.conus.png

NAM sounding around EVV late tomorrow afternoon...

nam_2019030806_042_37.86--87.92.png

Interesting UH map from 12Z 3K NAM.  HRRR very similar.....

uh25_max.us_mw.png

• Thanks 1

After initial storms move through the area, 12z WRF-ARW shows an intense supercell developing at 20z from se MO northeastward to Cairo, PAH, EVV and along the Ohio River Valley until it lines out around 00z.  Something to surely be concerned about if this model is correct.  Outside of this sub there is also a significant cell in the Tunica MS region moving ne.

This will likely not be a large scale major event in the OH valley or perhaps anywhere, but isolated Sig events still look quite possible.. No matter how you put it, this is the most significant threat we have had in a good while for the southern portions of this sub. Surprised there is not more activity on the thread. Whether or not things remain cellular to the I65 corridor in KY, there should at the least be a decent damaging wind threat with the amount of dynamics we have. I will take a standard slight risk over 42 and rain. Hypothetically....Even if there is say only 1 EF2 out of this event, it may not seem like much on a larger scale but the story changes if that happens to be in your back yard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Southern stream said:

Surprised there is not more activity on the thread. Whether or not things remain cellular to the I65 corridor in KY, there should at the least be a decent damaging wind threat with the amount of dynamics we have. I will take a standard slight risk over 42 and rain. Hypothetically....Even if there is say only 1 EF2 out of this event, it may not seem like much on a larger scale but the story changes if that happens to be in your back yard. 

the event will be over multple subforms ..one of the  drawbacks of subforms is that seere weather outbreaks often cover multiple subforms and it chaotic to keep track of everything

I started an "event thread" here

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

May not be severe but a nice little line moving through central IN.  I'm ready to kick off the chase season :twister:

A little bit of lightning. A little bit of thunder. A little bit of sideways rain. A nice way to start off the season. So far 1.30" in my tippy bucket.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

A little bit of lightning. A little bit of thunder. A little bit of sideways rain. A nice way to start off the season. So far 1.30" in my tippy bucket.

Same up here. I don't realize how much I enjoy listening to the rumbles until I haven't heard any for awhile. Had one loud one that seemed to roar for a long time.