Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Little Storm That Could - March 3/4

Spanks45

9 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

11 with no big rates?? No 2/hr stuff even for a couple hours?

Like I said earlier...it snowed very steady and at a good rate(I’d say about an inch per hour) for the whole storm.  Started about 5:45 pm and it was over by 5:00 am.  A little over 11hours of duration, and 11 inches of snow.  No 2”/hr rates here that I saw.  If we did..we’d have the 15-16 inches that some got with this one.  

But if the thing was a slow mover and it snowed for 18-20 hours and we picked up 20”, then that would be a memorable event to me. This wasn’t that unfortunately here. 

41 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, totally foregettable event here.

Same. The pre-Thanksgiving storm and cold were memorable since they were anomalous but otherwise this winter was completely forgettable barring a major end of season hit. Not even any notable cold or warmth. Just months of meh. 

• Like 1

Some post-storm analysis of guidance... nothing really groundbreaking here, we all had a sense the mesos did excellent on this

I thought a visual summary of the guidance history could supplement our anecdotal / tired recollection.

Major caveat is that this uses only a 10:1 snowfall map. I considered using qpf but I did not think that the captured end result we care about as well (e.g. R/S lines which played a factor), and I do not have a qpf map other than the digital accumulation maps.

Also, not sure why but PivotalWeather shreds the 12k NAM 6z/18z runs.

As you can see:

• Mesos were indeed excellent. 12k NAM / Euro may have been the best in the final 12 hours. 

• 12k / 3k NAM had the best jack zone of the pike region. Euro / RGEM was always too far south. 

• GFS was terrible. Way too dry throughout. Completely useless.

• ECMWF characteristically made slow incremental changes in the same direction towards the best solution.

• RGEM was first to latch on to widespread double digits. Not redeeming a terrible performance most of the season.

Post_Storm_Model_Comparison_48hrs.thumb.jpg.c5005079f9a5f8884b831f8a6471d924.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

In a year of 3 weeks of winter .. you remember the only blockbuster for the rest of your life. 4-5” rates for folks 

I agree with this sentiment. If this event had been sandwiched in the middle of Feb '15 I could see it slipping into obscurity, but given the utter lack of interesting events this winter, this will be an event I'll remember from this year. 

6 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Some post-storm analysis of guidance... nothing really groundbreaking here, we all had a sense the mesos did excellent on this

I thought a visual summary of the guidance history could supplement our anecdotal / tired recollection.

Major caveat is that this uses only a 10:1 snowfall map. I considered using qpf but I did not think that the captured end result we care about as well (e.g. R/S lines which played a factor), and I do not have a qpf map other than the digital accumulation maps.

Also, not sure why but PivotalWeather shreds the 12k NAM 6z/18z runs.

As you can see:

• Mesos were indeed excellent. 12k NAM / Euro may have been the best in the final 12 hours. 

• 12k / 3k NAM had the best jack zone of the pike region. Euro / RGEM was always too far south. 

• GFS was terrible. Way too dry throughout. Completely useless.

• ECMWF characteristically made slow incremental changes in the same direction towards the best solution.

• RGEM was first to latch on to widespread double digits. Not redeeming a terrible performance most of the season.

Post_Storm_Model_Comparison_48hrs.thumb.jpg.c5005079f9a5f8884b831f8a6471d924.jpg

I lol at that GFS comment. Time after time over the years we see people say that. If they shut down the entire Gfs suite, no one would notice or even blink 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The euro also was a driving rainstorm a few days before and then jumped SE. it was pretty bad even a few days out. But over last 48 hours it did better. It was a hair too warm though. 

For sure... I couldn't find 24-hour snowfall maps (vs. total snowfall that is hard to distinguish from preceding Fri-Sat event) to capture how (badly) Euro and others did days before. The consensus Friday was that Sunday would be a snow-to-rain mess for most of SNE.

I mean, look at this... 72 hour (!) prog of 12z Euro... and ironically, the GFS Friday for the same time:

12z_ECMWF_3_days_before_storm_showing_rainstorm.thumb.jpg.2273d2f660ff7e06c8906759c183ce39.jpg  18z_GFS_3_days_before_storm.thumb.jpg.24f390abb53244e8699993ab56e3446d.jpg

41 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I agree with this sentiment. If this event had been sandwiched in the middle of Feb '15 I could see it slipping into obscurity, but given the utter lack of interesting events this winter, this will be an event I'll remember from this year. 

Yep... though in March, this event was the "first child" of winter storms for many of us in SNE.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sbos_wx said:

15.5" at my house directly one mile sw of airport on the water. 10" at Logan. This was paste. Inexcusable, inaccurate, annoying. 

Ain’t that the truth. I’m right next to them in Eastie (Jeffries Point). Pulled an all nighter and crashed at 10am. 

12.5” final here. What a bogus report from Logan as usual. Just looking over the radarloop you can see Logan was pretty much under heavy stuff all night. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

If one guy in Easton gets 12.5 and someone else gets 10.6 (BOS) I consider that within normal ranges of variance.

Fuk, there can be 1-2" differences between my house on the far N side of Greenfield (almost in Colrain) and far S side (almost in Deerfield).  In fact, for quite a while, when I was submitting my NWS reports I would state exactly where I was because downtown could often have 1" less snow (or sometimes 1" more) even though I am only about 200' higher.

4 hours ago, jmcrae66 said:

I’m in Sandy Hook and had just about 12 on the button on the patio table.  

I have a snow board that is 3/4" plywood, painted white that I will place in different locations depending on the potential winds of a storm. Last night I had the board on my back porch. I cleared the board after 6.5 hrs (4.8")...I woke up this morning and checked it at 7:10, It was at 8.5" on one side and 7.8" on the other side. I would assume this is due to the wind, not knowing what the actual number was I averaged the number and went with 8.15" + 4.8" = 12.95" total. Finding lots of numbers around the property of 12 and 13, i decided to call it 13"....It does seem high compared to other numbers, but there are so many variables to take into consideration...

22 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I have a snow board that is 3/4" plywood, painted white that I will place in different locations depending on the potential winds of a storm. Last night I had the board on my back porch. I cleared the board after 6.5 hrs (4.8")...I woke up this morning and checked it at 7:10, It was at 8.5" on one side and 7.8" on the other side. I would assume this is due to the wind, not knowing what the actual number was I averaged the number and went with 8.15" + 4.8" = 12.95" total. Finding lots of numbers around the property of 12 and 13, i decided to call it 13"....It does seem high compared to other numbers, but there are so many variables to take into consideration...

This makes me feel better. 1-3” difference in the area, for a convective system like Wiz alluded to, is reasonable. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This makes me feel better. 1-3” difference in the area, for a convective system like Wiz alluded to, is reasonable. 

I mean the fact that the white plywood won't hold heat like driveways or even the warm soggy grass.That board started "accumulating" even before the railings of my deck or my patio table...Every little bit counts, right? lol

28 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I mean the fact that the white plywood won't hold heat like driveways or even the warm soggy grass.That board started "accumulating" even before the railings of my deck or my patio table...Every little bit counts, right? lol

Definately. I use a 6x2 marble bench in the front in as open of a space I have here. But it does accumulate right away, running cold like a weenie model. The one benefit of the EF1 back in May that ripped two big trees down though, a new skyline for better snow measurements.

Don't have a snow board, and by the time I got out to clear my driveway, had about 11". Snow has settled to about 6-7" or so, which was the upper end of what I had hoped for. Definitely ripped for a few hours when I was sleeping. November and March are clearly the best months for snow in SNE :-)

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

If one guy in Eastie gets 12.5 and someone else gets 10.6 (BOS) I consider that within normal ranges of variance.

It is within what you could expect but I didn’t realize measurements were now taken out into the ocean. I’m a lot further away from them then I thought especially when it comes to marginal situations along the immediate coast like this storm. 

I think I was more annoyed that they didn’t hit a foot for the record books without realizing I just barely made a foot myself but it’s not unusual for them to be at the bottom of the pack. It doesn’t really matter cause at least they recorded double digits 

Did they not take the actual measurement until 1215pm like it says in the report? If so, compaction could of played a bit of a roll. Temps were in the middle to upper 30’s by then. Then again, they might be running warm so impossible to tell.

The ASOS did report 1.06” of precip so maybe they just said fuk it and did the easy math haha

Great storm experience here either way! When you’re getting 1.5”-2”/hr rates for 5 straight hours, you don’t forget it! Congrats to everyone that had that same feeling last night, and some!

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

It is within what you could expect but I didn’t realize measurements were now taken out into the ocean. I’m a lot further away from them then I thought especially when it comes to marginal situations along the immediate coast like this storm. 

I think I was more annoyed that they didn’t hit a foot for the record books without realizing I just barely made a foot myself but it’s not unusual for them to be at the bottom of the pack. It doesn’t really matter cause at least they recorded double digits 

Did they not take the actual measurement until 1215pm like it says in the report? If so, compaction could of played a bit of a roll. Temps were in the middle to upper 30’s by then. Then again, they might be running warm so impossible to tell.

The ASOS did report 1.06” of precip so maybe they just said fuk it and did the easy math haha

Great storm experience here either way! When you’re getting 1.5”-2”/hr rates for 5 straight hours, you don’t forget it! Congrats to everyone that had that same feeling last night, and some!

The time listed is just the time of the LAST report, it doesn't say anything about the number of measurements. BOS being an LCD site means that the contract observer is measuring every 6 hours. 

Also ASOS liquid is considered the standard, with only rare circumstances requiring contract observer liquid being used for the official ob. So the fact that the ASOS measured 1.06" is likely just coincidence, because the treatment plant's 8" gauge would likely be different by a small number and their observer wouldn't be hitting refresh on the web to find out how much BOS measured to estimate snowfall. 

5 hours ago, Thunderblizzard said:

It was 1.5-2" an hour around 12-3 am here, missed out on the crazy stuff though. Not particularly memorable but highlight of the winter (barring some big storm yet to come) I suppose.

ok well that is still very solid, best we did was 1/hr for maybe 2 hrs.....1.5/hr for 3 hours would have gotten us to at least 8-9 which for me would have been solid....you guys in that part of ct have had some very memorable events in seasons past