Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Little Storm That Could - March 3/4

Spanks45

2 N Rehoboth          25.7   800 AM  3/04  

BUT but but, they TOOK OUT the Burrillville 17.0", and still haven't put mine in.  OK what the hell?  Now they Did tell me.... They have to Watch which towns they post and What amounts they post because Governments give certain treatment to towns based on amounts.  This has to be it... because Providence County is a Mess now.  And 25.7"??  What in Jesus please.  How do they allow that?  16 year old working the data slip that in while playing games on his phone?  

• Like 1

Pasters will have high variance reports within a short distance. I’m looking at upton’s snowfall report and mine sticks out to others in the area. I think there are too many low reports though, especially from the public or the media. When compared to a trained spotter in Monroe who reported 12.0”, my 13.75” is within the margin of error when you factor in elevation, measuring spot, frequency of clearing, and other random factors. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Pasters will have high variance reports within a short distance. I’m looking at upton’s snowfall report and mine sticks out to others in the area. I think there are too many low reports though, especially from the public or the media. When compared to a trained spotter in Monroe who reported 12.0”, my 13.75” is within the margin of error when you factor in elevation, measuring spot, frequency of clearing, and other random factors. 

I remember last year at school we only had like 11'' and Newtown had 16'' or 17'' lol. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I remember last year at school we only had like 11'' and Newtown had 16'' or 17'' lol. 

Yea last March had some wild swings with reports. I hate being the highest in the area I’m tempted to reduce to 12 and match the trained Monroe spotter but where exactly was he in Monroe and what’s his elevation? No one else in Southbury has a report. 

I think the met KGNY in Oxford/Seymour reported just over 13”.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea last March had some wild swings with reports. I hate being the highest in the area I’m tempted to reduce to 12 and match the trained Monroe spotter but where exactly was he in Monroe and what’s his elevation? No one else in Southbury has a report. 

A friend in Naugatuck reported 12''. I think when you're dealing with rates as intense as what we had last night some big swings in a small distance probably become more likely due to the intensity of the echos. I mean we're talking convectively enhanced precip here...very similar to summer convection where it could be a torrential downpour and 5 city blocks away it's still heavy, but not as intense. 

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m in Sandy Hook and had just about 12 on the button on the patio table.  

1 hour ago, TheSnowman said:

BUT but but, they TOOK OUT the Burrillville 17.0", and still haven't put mine in.  OK what the hell?  Now they Did tell me.... They have to Watch which towns they post and What amounts they post because Governments give certain treatment to towns based on amounts.  This has to be it... because Providence County is a Mess now.  And 25.7"??  What in Jesus please.  How do they allow that?  16 year old working the data slip that in while playing games on his phone?  

Are they saying snow measurements are handled according to non-scientific and non-quality control the criteria?

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Like Jerry said most intense storm since 15. This had a Jan 2011 feel.  Good call Kev on the upped 12 to 18

20190304_112530.png

We only picked up 11 inches here...good storm for sure, especially for this year.  But we didn’t get into the real super heavy rates here like some did.  It snowed hard and steady...but nothing to write home about here...nothing like the late January 2011 Beast that  came through here. That had blizzard and whiteout conditions with it here; last nights did not.  Those of you who came in with 15 and 16 inches with this one congrats!!  

53 minutes ago, jmcrae66 said:

I’m in Sandy Hook and had just about 12 on the button on the patio table.  

See I can measure on the patio table since the back of the house faces North so I’m blocked from Southerly enhancement and my roofs have steep slopes so any wind could enhance snow amounts on the table. Funny thing is, when I first moved here.... I was reporting lower than surrounding areas until I realized my board was being blocked by the garage a bit and by the woods. Now I magically run high so next season I’m putting a camera out there to see if there are any non natural snowfall ehancements.

#snowmeasuringbeserious

48 minutes ago, BrianW said:

With all the technology out there where are the automatic snow depth sensors? Infared triangulation and ultrasonic sensors are extremely accurate and cheap. 

They are okay for snow depth, but not so much for official measurements of new snowfall since there's no way to automatically clear the board without moving parts (unless you want to invest in something really expensive). The NWS really tries to refrain from sensors with moving parts (hence the move to ultrasonic anemometers). Infrared sensors can struggle with depth measurements with sunshine, but that wouldn't be a huge issue while snow is falling. Ultrasonics aren't perfect either, especially with high ratio snows, although the technology has gotten better. But yeah, I think the clearing is the issue.

3 hours ago, TheSnowman said:

It may have ben an error where they meant to type "15.7" and not the "25.7" you see.

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There was a noticeable increase in accumulations as you went east from where I am in Mahopac (NY) through Danbury and then towards you. It was definitely elevation based too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

We only picked up 11 inches here...good storm for sure, especially for this year.  But we didn’t get into the real super heavy rates here like some did.  It snowed hard and steady...but nothing to write home about here...nothing like the late January 2011 Beast that  came through here. That had blizzard and whiteout conditions with it here; last nights did not.  Those of you who came in with 15 and 16 inches with this one congrats!!  

There were 2 storms in Jan