Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Little Storm That Could - March 3/4

Spanks45

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What do you expect taking obs from shit island?

Shit obs. And by the book, they do not wipe before each measurement.

Technically not even the "airport"... that poster earlier said ground crews at Logan were reported foot+

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Will post some pics when I free up space. Similar to will, about 17” and piled up. This was not easy to snow blow. Just a ton of snow.

Congrat's man.... really mean that.  Been a tough winter down there of dark days and winter rain.  When I think of your Dec/Jan/Feb, yeah don't wish that shit on anyone.  Really nice to win one I'm sure.

Need some pics later!

Weymouth 1, Stake 0 in March ;).

• Haha 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Congrat's man.... really mean that.  Been a tough winter down there of dark days and winter rain.  Really nice to win one I'm sure.

Need some pics later!

Weymouth 1, Stake 0 in March ;).

Thanks dude. I know it was childish, but I needed this lol. Just so busy with things personally. I just wish I was more bullish, but I’ll take it.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Thanks dude. I know it was childish, but I needed this lol. Just so busy with things personally. I just wish I was more bullish, but I’ll take it.

You do owe some photos though, I'll hold you to that.  I love a good snowstorm photo as most of you know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This map looks very similar to a lot of short term mesoscale guidance yesterday....they did very well once inside of about 18 hours.

It sure does. I was gonna write up a post-analysis and assess my forecast map later today.

RGEM (inside 12 hours? I'll check), NAM, RPM (last 2 runs), HRRR (when it was within range) crushed an event for once.

Even Euro was way too conservative in its 12z/18z runs just before onset, though it had a pretty good distribution.

GFS was a disaster even on Sun 18z and only had a clue once the event was already underway Mon 0z... but I correct myself, it's purpose is only for under 6 hour guidance.

So looking at this storm though, in the grander context of this winter, this storm system to me seems like it wasn't the result of any one weather pattern but more "luck" of the draw (ha). 

Fast flow, no real over-whelming signal for a low to track where it did but earlier in the winter several of these did about the same thing as this one, but those tracked from like HFD to BOS or PWM. 

The storms we had up here this winter were very similar to that one down there, fast moving omega QPF bombs...maybe without the 850mb fronto....but widespread 8-16" NNE snows in 18 hours or so.

But this same storm has occurred at least 2 or 3 times so far this winter, just like 50-100 miles north AND also down in D.C.  They aren't "big dogs" from a mid-level look but they are just juiced fast movers.  Maybe that's the luck part...fast flow energy ejecting out of the southern Plains and ripping along in the flow...unmanned firehose just spraying the energy up near New England. 

This time SNE got the track needed. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

17.25”  JACKPOT  In 11 hours.  45” Season.  

It snowed 2.5 hours after my final 17”.  :snowwindow::cory:

3.5” or better Rates lasted slightly Longer than February 7, 2003, but not 2 straight hours of 4” per hour.  But more Snow (14” vs. 17.25”).  

2 years in a row with March Quick Bombs.  I want to Thank ORH Will for predicting when I was at 12, that I would hit 16-18.  :arrrg::clap:

Crazy.

15 here.  I wish I was awake to see the heavy hotties falling in the middle of the night.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hold up.  They take snow measurements out where that red dot is?

That's not even Boston.  That's the Atlantic.

Ya they had to take the measurement prior to high tide inundating the snow measuring spot . It goes underwater 2 feet. Need bands of snow to hit at low tide 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just had a conversation with the NWS for 5 minutes about the fact they have not 1 but 2 amounts in Cumberland, and it's 12.5 and 13.5!!!!!  They said they are going to look into everything with me because I called in during the night keeping up with the amounts.  They're going to see about maybe making a 3rd Cumberland amount of my 17.2".  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheSnowman said:

I just had a conversation with the NWS for 5 minutes about the fact they have not 1 but 2 amounts in Cumberland, and it's 12.5 and 13.5!!!!!  They said they are going to look into everything with me because I called in during the night keeping up with the amounts.  They're going to see about maybe making a 3rd Cumberland amount of my 17.2".  

:weenie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Did you tell them you are up on a 350 foot hill? That will matter too in a storm like this where you probably were closer to 30F instead of 31-32F like it might be down near the blackstone river.

• Like 1

Just now, Lava Rock said:

Pretty funny how we've had multiple events this winter up here, none that reached double digits. You guys have had a few events, yet score one with nearly 18". To cap it off, some places in SNE have more snow otg then places up here. The tables turn quick. Congrats, you guys deserve it.

The GYX coastal plain (or at least outside the mountains) has seen the 7-10 split now... BTV's area has had several double digit events and now down south in the I-95 corridor. 

That's the SNE climate though.  They may wait for it, but it's usually less events but bigger ones, vs. NNE is more frequency but average snowfalls lower.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Pretty funny how we've had multiple events this winter up hear, none that reached double digits. You guys have had a few events, yet score one with nearly 18". To cap it off, some places in SNE have more snow otg then places up here. The tables turn quick. Congrats, you guys deserve it.

With a few exceptions, we don't tend to do quite as well in these blockbuster scenarios. For the most part we've meh'd our way to decent seasonal totals, and we'll have coverage longer than SNE (though some would argue that's not necessarily a good thing this time of year).

This was an odd one in that we were on the northern fringe of the goods but also had marginal temps. We were at or just above freezing for most of the storm. Ended up with about 6" here, but while out clearing the driveway it looked like only about 4" on most paved surfaces - with some bare spots under trees.

This storm will bring out low amounts if you did not do it right. We were 31.5-31.8 and accumulated just fine. Even blowing off roof. I didn’t lose much to road cave, but measured in a shady spot on north side of house where snow stuck immediately. I was highly confident in the amount. The lowest I found was just over 14.5”  where the snow was last to accumulate on part of my torch driveway. So I believe Cory. 

8F7F9FBA-AC19-439D-9E96-5836F8EFCFE1.png

I was wondering about the "northern fringe" idea because it was so warm, although several runs showed greater snow totals towards Yarmouth. NS Only bare spot out here was under the car, which we are careful to keep in the exact same place so we can get a running/gunning start on bare ground. The rest of the place is just absolutely plastered with thick, smushy snow.  We got 6.3 inches. 36.1/33. Still snowing while the sun is desperately trying to poke through.