Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The Little Storm That Could - March 3/4

Spanks45

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

While this storm looked nothing like Jan 27, 2011 at H5, in terms of sensible impact it reminds me a lot of it. Wet clingy snow, blinding death band across southern CT into RI and MA mainly in the wee hours of the night, models continually beefing up, over performing expectations etc. This was an awesome little critter. I haven't measured yet, but looks like we're solidly in double digits. Improbable as it would've seemed a week ago, this brings my season up to average in the snow department, with 90% of snow occurring in November or March. I will say that I can no longer flunk the season entirely--indeed after last night I may not even require it to complete a remedial summer course. No, in thanks for last night's generous thumping, I'm content to mark it down as a gentleman's C. Maybe we can cash in once or twice more in the coming 10 days before we start to transition towards spring. 

Heh... this was too well advertised and also empirically too larger in scale to fit with the 'little critter' concept -  Bozart et. al. 

unless you just meant that for colloquialism 

28 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

I’ll do a Water Equivalent Test.  

And that RPM that got Ray i trouble 2 days ago nailed it.  

F704949C-E36F-40D2-B36D-C328636FB070.jpeg

The model runs 9X a day and usually changes pretty drastically with each run, thats really just cherry picking. I can easily find another run that barely had 2-4/4-6 for most of SNE and call it wrong.

Anyone have the elapsed radar for the event? I woke up at some point in the middle of the night, checked the radar, and noticed the goods were about 40 miles to my south. I’d like to see what that banding looked like at the height of the storm. 

3 minutes ago, mostman said:

Anyone have the elapsed radar for the event? I woke up at some point in the middle of the night, checked the radar, and noticed the goods were about 40 miles to my south. I’d like to see what that banding looked like at the height of the storm. 

If you start on this page, I post a radar shot probably every 10-15 min for the next 3-4 pages. You can see the progression.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/52144-the-little-storm-that-could-march-34/?page=13

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

About 7" on the ground here.  Heavy heavy stuff.  I would imagine I probably have closer to 8" or 9" before compaction from the sleet and rain we had between 4 and 5 AM.  Man if we didn't have that hour of mixing I feel confident we would have been in double-digits around here.

The 8 or 9 before compaction and sleet is the correct measurement, not after compaction and sleet.

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

The 8 or 9 before compaction and sleet is the correct measurement, not after compaction and sleet.

Yeah I probably should have gone out and measured my usual spot at around 4 but couldn't get myself up and out of the house to do it. I checked NWS numbers it looks like I ended up an inch higher than what was reported in my area so who knows.  Sometimes these heavy slop storms are more difficult to measure than the windy ones if you don't put 100% effort into it.

12 minutes ago, mostman said:

This should work for now (just checked it) until you get out of range.  I think CoD lets you download a .gif of the loop...

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=BOX-N0Q-1-200

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I may go down this season without recording a single storm over 10" which i would have to check my numbers but that would be rare.

I've had 2 double-digit-ers, but pending a late bomb, this season will be the 7th of 21 not to record a 12"+ event.  I've had 5 that failed to reach 10", led by 2005-06 with a top event of 5.9".  Last such observed season before that was 1967-68 in NNJ.   :o   At my current location, season's biggest has only a fair correlation with season's total, due to some real outliers, though the 6 in the under-11" group include the 5 lowest season totals.  My snowiest, 07-08, ranks 8th lowest for top storm with 12.5", while my 2nd biggest snowfall, 24" on 12/6-7/2003, made up nearly 1/3 of the season total (8th lowest season), a facet that was common where I grew up but much less so in the more consistent snowfall region where I now live. 

Measured 2.5" at 6:30 with SN-, but I'm fairly certain the 3-6" forecast has verified.  Little flakes = low rations (usually) and the 0.29" LE results in 8.6 to 1.  Augusta had SN+ (barely) when I arrived, pretty much by myself (never checked to see if there was a late opening), but now moderate - probably about 5" outside the office.  Grandkids in SNJ got nothing but some slushy flakes, but the NNJ town where I grew up reported 9", near jack for the state.

Good to see the SNE folks get some real snow, though the Cape and WMA kinda missed out.  No jealousy here, but would've liked about 6" so the pack would get into the 40s.  Might make it anyway with this event if things haven't melted/settled by obs time.

9 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I would say there was 8 on the ground in Trumbull when I shoveled at like 7. It was above the rise of the steps (which is 7.5 ") by a bit so I am going to go with 8 inches at 7 AM.