• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Mary M
    Newest Member
    Mary M

2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx - General Discussion

pretty subpar storm situation going on so far.  the sky/air doesn't have that severe-y feel to it, but i'm hoping we can get some pop ups develop into the early evening.  gravy if we overperform, but not a great look to the radar atm.

• Like 1

what does look healthy is wv imagery towards western md, so i'll stay in with the assumption that we have time to reshuffle before that pool of cooler air moves in.

• Like 1

there is a ton of hail (quarter size) in that cell in northern Berkeley and northern Jefferson counties. 

I have sunshine and loud continuous thunder.

1 minute ago, WeatherLovingDoc said:

Wow, Thank you very much for this detailed Sterling radar. Sure does look like Baltimore DC will be hit. 

np, cod is shoddy on mobile, but pretty good radar for desktop.  i'm eyeing severe (bc this is a severe thread), but with a front moving through i gotta think we're in good shape for storms.  just a matter of how strong/severe they get without having abundant sunshine.

• Like 1

Active severe season on tap if the long range 3 month models are correct about a slightly BN summer. Hottest part will probably be later in the summer, starting July and it could get a little dry at times but overall, active severe season.

Definitely looks like hail in that nasty cell near HGR. Maybe a little rotation starting? See if it tightens up some....

ETA...the PA severe magnet in full effect.

Per wv imagery, it’s just about gametime for the metros. Hoping to see some cells moving thru.

4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Per wv imagery, it’s just about gametime for the metros. Hoping to see some cells moving thru.

What does this mean specifcally for the I 95 corridor from Baltimore to Northern Virginia? I need to let my spouse know and now!

21 minutes ago, WeatherLovingDoc said:

What does this mean specifcally for the I 95 corridor from Baltimore to Northern Virginia? I need to let my spouse know and now!

I’m no expert lol but I think the next couple hours will be the best chance for storms moving through the corridor.  Doesn’t look like a solid line of storms so far today but more of the scattered/popcorn variety which is pretty hard to predict.

• Like 1

Pretty weak sauce garden variety storms. Not even sure a watch was warranted. Drove through the cell approaching warrenton, very typical storm.

• Like 1

The one moving thru just south of me and into northwest dc has some lightning associated with it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Pretty weak sauce garden variety storms. Not even sure a watch was warranted. Drove through the cell approaching warrenton, very typical storm.

They’re boom or bust. Pretty compact so far.

Getting some pretty gusty winds, I'd say in the 40s. Also some pings, I couldn't see any hail but raindrops generally don't make that sound, so I'd say a little bit of (very small) hail mixed in as well. Some thunder but no close lightning strikes.  

TVS sig on radarscope near Grear Falls 

ETA: was there for a few minutes... gone now

Picked up a whopping .02".  Another dud of a day here.  It refuses to rain.  Less than 1" since 5/3.  Numerous areas of browning showing up in my yard.  All is right in the world again.