Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,508
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
    Joined
Kmlwx

2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx - General Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, high risk said:

     The fake photos are out in full force today.    Justin Berk's FB page has a shot that is supposed to be of the storm approaching Columbia yesterday.     It's clearly a plains HP supercell at sunset photoshopped in.

Looking at Sunday do you think there is at least potential, even if not severe, for rainfall in the Northern parts of the sub forum including my area and the Eastern Shore ? Thanks  

( and those photoshopped amateurs need to at least pick more realistic "fake " photos to use )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

talking about this one? Im not sure that is fake, it looks very similar to the shots that I got just I wasn't able to get the complete horizon in my shot... 

 

 

Columbia-Maryland-Tornado-Warning-Photo-May-23-768x297.jpg

         that's the one.     I'm completely skeptical, as the rotation yesterday was embedded in a line, and I don't see how there would have been brightness on either side.    That looks like a photoshopped HP supercell from the plains, taken at sunset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol theres no way that is from yesterday -- the tornado was part of an embedded cell in a massive squall line. there would't have been the light behind it like that. it wasn't discrete. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20190523_201647.thumb.jpg.007d8c5b2338857659323e33a92e289d.jpg

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

         that's the one.     I'm completely skeptical, as the rotation yesterday was embedded in a line, and I don't see how there would have been brightness on either side.    That looks like a photoshopped HP supercell from the plains, taken at sunset.

I totally see where your coming from, I think the actual sun is on the left side as you can see the lighting on the side of the building is pretty on point looking... But the light on the right side I think is just not as dark clouds as it got VERY dark. I think his panoramic mode on his shot is giving it more of a cylindrical look as well. It was certainly rounded from my POV too and If I could zoom out on my picture you would see what I am talking about. I could be wrong though, wouldnt be the first time ;) 

Columbia-Maryland-Tornado-Warning-Photo-May-23-768x297.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol theres no way that is from yesterday -- the tornado was part of an embedded cell in a massive squall line. there would't have been the light behind it like that. it wasn't discrete. 

there was certainly light beind the storm on one side, it got sunny VERY fast after this blew through here. We were on the northern kink of the line too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fake picture or not, i for the life of me can’t understand why or what satisfaction people get from posting photoshopped pictures. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mappy said:

colleges need to stop tweeting weather advisories, wtf is this?

is UMBC even under a warning right now? 

Automated machine learning BS.  They got flamed, rightfully so, in the comments section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Automated machine learning BS.  They got flamed, rightfully so, in the comments section.

did they? good. I never went back to look to see what kind of responses they got. i get the need to tweet out that UMBC was under a warning, especially with graduation ongoing. But it such a horribly worded tweet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

IMG_20190523_201647.thumb.jpg.007d8c5b2338857659323e33a92e289d.jpg

I totally see where your coming from, I think the actual sun is on the left side as you can see the lighting on the side of the building is pretty on point looking... But the light on the right side I think is just not as dark clouds as it got VERY dark. I think his panoramic mode on his shot is giving it more of a cylindrical look as well. It was certainly rounded from my POV too and If I could zoom out on my picture you would see what I am talking about. I could be wrong though, wouldnt be the first time ;) 

 

        That's a super nice picture!     But I assume you're looking north, and we're seeing the light out AHEAD of the storm on the right side.    In the referenced picture, I have to assume that the person is supposedly looking west as the storm arrives, and the light we're seeing is around the southwest flank of the cell.     I just don't see how it could have possibly been light in that direction with no break in the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That first picture is also more bowed, while the second is more elongated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Fake picture or not, i for the life of me can’t understand why or what satisfaction people get from posting photoshopped pictures. 

easy, it got picked up by someone with a ton of followers and being shared all over the web. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

      These pictures look more like those from  AmericanWxFreak, with muted light out ahead of the system, although I have to say that there is more light on the left side of the first picture than I expected to see.    Not totally sure of the direction here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found the guys photography page on VSCO - here is another shot he took that looks similar. His panorama is certainly helping it appear more curved than it truly was - but it def had some nice curvature from my POV too. This guy was in Downtown Columbia @ the mall and I was 10 mins S and E so he had a different angle as well. 

 

Capture.JPG.2ba5dbe849b4c06763b216d93ed26de0.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mappy said:

did they? good. I never went back to look to see what kind of responses they got. i get the need to tweet out that UMBC was under a warning, especially with graduation ongoing. But it such a horribly worded tweet. 

A number of universities leverage automated services from a private sector company out of central PA. University of MD College Park got slammed for this automated tornado warning service last year when there was no tornado warning.  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

A number of universities leverage automated services from a private sector company out of central PA. University of MD College Park got slammed for this automated tornado warning service last year when there was no tornado warning.  :ph34r:

well thats because UMD pays Accuweather to be their private forecast company. Accuweather issued a tornado warning when NWS did not and UMD shared it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those may be real shots that were spruced up through Lightroom.  Also, big, wide angle lenses distort photos, especially on the edges, so it would make sense that the photos above look somewhat "rounded."

I have no opinion on whether they are real or not.  I'm still mad that the "enhanced" area got gypped.  B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mappy said:

well thats because UMD pays Accuweather to be their private forecast company. Accuweather issued a tornado warning when NWS did not and UMD shared it. 

Yup.  Not bashing folks, just making an observation that during events like this wx comms can be an issue...our office doesn't rely on automated systems to push stuff to social media.  There's too many cases of it causing more confusion than help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Those may be real shots that were spruced up through Lightroom.  Also, big, wide angle lenses distort photos, especially on the edges, so it would make sense that the photos above look somewhat "rounded."

I have no opinion on whether they are real or not.  I'm still mad that the "enhanced" area got gypped.  B)

 If it's legit, the panoramic and "big lens" effects must really be screwing me up.     I still don't see how the light exists on the left side if this is looking west, unless that bright area is looking south and the panorama distorts that.   The radar image shows no way to see clear sky to the west.

0-2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yup.  Not bashing folks, just making an observation that during events like this wx comms can be an issue...our office doesn't rely on automated systems to push stuff to social media.  There's too many cases of it causing more confusion than help.

I dont see anything wrong with an automated tweet, if its coming from NWS Tornado or something. But putting out their own tweet with poor wording is really bad practice for a police department. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, high risk said:

 If it's legit, the panoramic and "big lens" effects must really be screwing me up.     I still don't see how the light exists on the left side if this is looking west, unless that bright area is looking south and the panorama distorts that.   The radar image shows no way to see clear sky to the west.

Could it be possible that the photo was taken at a section of the line that was bowing out? That might've caused the "round" look to the storm, outside of the wide lens/panaroma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Treckasec said:

Could it be possible that the photo was taken at a section of the line that was bowing out? That might've caused the "round" look to the storm, outside of the wide lens/panaroma.

I think it was a combination of that with the lens. Like I said before, could totally see the skepticism though. I am going to try to get in touch with the guy and ask him a few questions. Anyway, overall it was quite the photogenic storm. Hopefully some more fun this weekend and also hoping the plains threat for early week can make it this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

I think it was a combination of that with the lens. Like I said before, could totally see the skepticism though. I am going to try to get in touch with the guy and ask him a few questions. Anyway, overall it was quite the photogenic storm. Hopefully some more fun this weekend and also hoping the plains threat for early week can make it this way.

       If you do get in touch with this guy, please let us know!     @Trekasec, it was definitely bowing a bit (sort of an embedded HP supercell thing) - see radar image above - but I'm more concerned about the light on the left side of the picture than the rounded look.    With the line extending well to the southwest, I'm not sure how so much light would be visible on the left side of the storm, unless the direction is distorted there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

talking about this one? Im not sure that is fake, it looks very similar to the shots that I got just I wasn't able to get the complete horizon in my shot... 

 

 

Columbia-Maryland-Tornado-Warning-Photo-May-23-768x297.jpg

Yeah actually that looks pretty real. Looks about exactly like I saw it in person. It also had the same greenish hue to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Is there a pyramid shaped building in HoCo? Because there is a pyramid in that pic.

Yep - its the iconic roof of the Columbia Mall where this photo was taken from the top of a parking garage. depositphotos_52610569-stock-photo-the-roof-of-a-mall.thumb.jpg.ff5e5ca320fc33fab13831c73a4bb4d0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty high impact storm in Arlington. 2/5 without power at the peak. I didn’t get power until 5:30 this morning, and I had power after the derecho! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I think the high rise in that photo is Kenny's Columbia apartment building.  He wasn't kidding yesterday when he said that the funnel went right over his house.  Unfortunately, he wasn't there yesterday.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

By the way, I think the high rise in that photo is Kenny's Columbia apartment building.  He wasn't kidding yesterday when he said that the funnel went right over his house.  Unfortunately, he wasn't there yesterday.  :(

The two taller buildings on the left are office bldgs but the longer and lower white/beige buildings on the right side are the two new luxury appt bldgs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

The two taller buildings on the left are office bldgs but the longer and lower white/beige buildings on the right side are the two new luxury appt bldgs. 

Yep.  You're right.  I'm disoriented looking at that shot and can't discern where it was taken from.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×