• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wagsphoto
    Newest Member
    wagsphoto

2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx - General Discussion

18 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

To be honest- hearing my friends (non weather enthusiasts) and coworkers - most people still do not understand which is worse (watch vs warning). A lot of this is ignorance - watches don't trigger CMAS so it should be fairly obvious to the public that "TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY" is more serious than "CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE"

this is a huge problem across the board. my own mother, for a time, didn't even know the difference. 

however, regarding schools, the State of Maryland Board of Ed needs to make sure their teachers and especially their principals are properly trained to know the correct verbiage and what to do. I hope this is a serious lesson to the school, and the overall county, on properly handling of these situations. 

19 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

To be honest- hearing my friends (non weather enthusiasts) and coworkers - most people still do not understand which is worse (watch vs warning). A lot of this is ignorance - watches don't trigger CMAS so it should be fairly obvious to the public that "TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY" is more serious than "CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE"

I always explained it as a watch was "Watch out, things could get dangerous" a warning was "things are dangerous NOW". Basically be aware versus be active NOW

1 hour ago, mappy said:

this is a huge problem across the board. my own mother, for a time, didn't even know the difference. 

however, regarding schools, the State of Maryland Board of Ed needs to make sure their teachers and especially their principals are properly trained to know the correct verbiage and what to do. I hope this is a serious lesson to the school, and the overall county, on properly handling of these situations. 

One would hope its uniform from state to state but it doesn't appear that way.  i know that a few years ago when I went to pick up the kids from school it was when storms were hitting.  there was a TOR warning that went up but not for my immediate area.  the principal held all the kids inside regardless due to policy.  I was surprised they were as proactive and glad they did it.  What was lol was being in a hallway with all these other parents who had a ton of misinformation due to not taking the time to read or listen to the forecast for that day.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Days and days and days of MRGL

I mean, kind of makes work break, radar checking kind of fun though.  Right?

23 hours ago, mappy said:

I saw. 

Lots of discussion earlier this week on why an elementary school in the middle of the tornado warning dismissed the kids anyways. Apparently the warning came out minutes before the dismissal bell rang, and the principal was told yet had the kids leave anyways. really stupid. 

and FWIW: my daughter's school held the kids until 4pm, even though the warning was south and east. 

That's a chronic issue with public and private schools nationwide.  It's a topic that's frequently discussed at EM meetings and conferences about getting schools to take natural hazards seriously.  They're so focused on school shootings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Severe warned in Gtown!

4 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Today feels like a pity warning for the Beltway kinda day.

that warning includes a corner of the Beltway so I'm gonna count this. In Arlington for the day, hoping to hear a rumble or two.

Absolute torrential downpour here. Top shelf in that department. Premium in gusts. I think I missed the lightning core but best storm of the season for me so far.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Real nice burst of T&L. I approve of this storm.

this was a classic summer-like tstorm.  great daytime heating, some of which we didn't have with the other recent busts.  i'm a little disappointed that i missed the lightning core, but the lightning radar is lit up to the east now.  i can even here the rumbles off in the distance.

this was a classic summer-like tstorm.  great daytime heating, some of which we didn't have with the other recent busts.  i'm a little disappointed that i missed the lightning core, but the lightning radar is lit up to the east now.  i can even here the rumbles off in the distance.

I’m in the 250ft vis rain now too. Pretty impressive. Small hail hitting the windows as well.

Storm of the year?

Nice thunderstorm in Germantown -- about 0.42 in 15 minutes, lots of lightning, and a brief gust to 45-50.  Sun is back out and the air is fresh.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m in the 250ft vis rain now too. Pretty impressive. Small hail hitting the windows as well.

Storm of the year?

i think it is for me so far.  had a little bit of lightning.  if that was better it would be a tough one to top for the rest of the year tbh.