Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx - General Discussion

Kmlwx

Just now, high risk said:

We're almost certain to get a blue box later.      I agree that the TOR threat is limited even in PA, but while the low level winds are meh, the overall shear is decent.   So I see SPC's thought that any modification of the low-level winds by the front or storm interactions could lead to a TOR.

SPC making me look dumb lol ;) 

thanks for your input, as always! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Would tend to agree with you.  The SFC - 3km heliticty values are far more impressive north of Mason-Dixon down into the upper Delaware Bay region.

it's also key that we're way hotter, and the LCL heights are much higher.    That deeply mixed, relatively dry PBL would cause any supercells this far south to gust out quickly.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

RIP, IAD to Mappy tomorrow on the 12z NAMNEST at HR 34 -> 36

Yeah - the soundings are absurd for areas within that pocket. Contaminated for sure in areas (I found a sounding with 50.1 supercell composite param). 

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

I’m driving from philly to Pittsburgh now after having driven up to philly this AM for a meeting - should see some storms maybe on my way across PA...

take pics, safely! 

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Yeah - the soundings are absurd for areas within that pocket. Contaminated for sure in areas (I found a sounding with 50.1 supercell composite param). 

can you post a sounding? haven't looked. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

thanks. now someone explain it me. i still have yet to learn how to read a severe sounding. shhh don't tell anyone. 

The way I've seen it explained - the bars (horizontal) coming from the left side of the sounding indicate that the sounding is heavily contaminated (I guess from lift/precip???) 

Just now, yoda said:

Lol 1730 SPC disco sounds good... then you look at where the slight risk is and then you have to laugh 

Yoda, take solace in knowing that we fail 9.99/10 times and on our biggest day, Derecho 2012, SPC didn't even have us in a SLGT until a few hours before the event.  

• Like 2

Just now, Kmlwx said:

The way I've seen it explained - the bars (horizontal) coming from the left side of the sounding indicate that the sounding is heavily contaminated (I guess from lift/precip???) 

no clue. lol

Yoda, take solace in knowing that we fail 9.99/10 times and on our biggest day, Derecho 2012, SPC didn't even have us in a SLGT until a few hours before the event.  

Oh I know... just it's a lil laughable that the same places have been SLGT or ENH for 3 days in a row now.  We dont see that very often in our parts

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Correct.  Source:  https://www.facebook.com/SHARPpy.wx/posts/tutorial-how-to-tell-if-your-sounding-is-convectively-contaminatedwith-spring-co/1592950307629254/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Ah - the good old "SEE TEXT" - that was an amazing example of how tough to predict severe can be. Some of our most memorable events I feel like are underforecast by SPC from leads. 

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Ah - the good old "SEE TEXT" - that was an amazing example of how tough to predict severe can be. Some of our most memorable events I feel like are underforecast by SPC from leads. 

We always win when LWX / SPC are playing catch up, whether it's winter or summer.

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

you can't compare the derecho to this set up. that was a whole other beast

I know that, I was referring to the convective outlook placement prior to the event.

but even then the set up was different. models have been advertising possible storms for us all week. there wasn't much there for the derecho until the day of, hence the upgrades as the day went on. 

16 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Will try - but man the PA turnpike is not a friendly stretch of highway - lanes are so tight etc. my hope would be seeing something about the place there is a rest area (I am stopped at one now).

You get out west of the Susquehanna and there's a stretch that the pike is 3 lanes in each direction...also, once in the Cumberland Valley you'll have some open spaces where you'll be able to see for miles...

• Like 1