• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx - General Discussion

Kmlwx

It's March...and even though we probably have a few more winter weather threats ahead...it's time to launch the 2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx thread. Pattern stuff can go in here, discussion leading up to events and more. Same guidelines as past years. Thread will probably idle for a month or two - let's hope for some general excitement this year. 

• Like 2

Even in low activity years - it only takes a single day/event to really make a or break our severe season around these parts. A region-wide significant squall line can make a season pretty memorable. Though I'd like multiple storm days ideally. 

Thunderstorms are one of the few redeeming qualities about triple H weather around here. 

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Even in low activity years - it only takes a single day/event to really make a or break our severe season around these parts. A region-wide significant squall line can make a season pretty memorable. Though I'd like multiple storm days ideally. 

Thunderstorms are one of the few redeeming qualities about triple H weather around here. 

(August 26, 2003) (June 4, 2008) (June 29, 2012) all featured a good MCS for at least a good portion of the region... June 29, 2012 obviously being the best area-wide event (except for the Maryland/Pennsylvania line).  

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:

Unfortunately today's event is already the deadliest tornado outbreak since the April 27th-28th outbreak in 2014. I believe there were 34 deaths as a result of that event, though that outbreak covered a much larger region of the country. Of course it only takes one strong EF3+ tornado tracking through a residential area to have a significant number of deaths. The toll in Lee County, Ala. alone stands at 22 and may rise further unfortunately. Datasets located here:

http://spc.noaa.gov/climo/torn/fatalmap.php

Wow... very sad

• 2 weeks later...

NWS Paducah almost took a direct hit this morning from a tornado

1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

A Large Tornado just came really close to the @NWSPaducah office. It passed just SE of the Office. They had a Visual Confirmation of it. Has caused "Major Damage". They had to take shelter and transferred ops to @NWSLouisville but have taken back ops. #KYwx

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

NWS said they narrowly missed tornado.

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Well south and east appears to be the site for any action this PM. 

I'm wondering whether anything will try to pop up along the front northwest of I-95 looking at recent satellite trends. Not necessarily talking anything too big but perhaps at least some t-showers.

#Notanexpertopinion

30 minutes ago, George BM said:

I'm wondering whether anything will try to pop up along the front northwest of I-95 looking at recent satellite trends. Not necessarily talking anything too big but perhaps at least some t-showers. 

#Notanexpertopinion

Yeah you would think so looking at tonight and tomorrows forecast.  It's almost feels like late spring outside right now with the warmth and humidity.  The winds look to shift between 8 - 10pm so maybe a little later for us.  I would try figure out how to read a skew-t chart, but I'm supposed to be working on school work and that is not weather related. Oh well.

#AlsoNotanexpertopinion

41 minutes ago, 87storms said:

today is a reminder that we get epic busts in warm weather season as well.  forecast called for showers and i don't think i received a drop of rain imby.  imagine if the forecast was for snow.

NAM 3k was pretty dry if not completely dry for a lot of locations in our area. 

Got quite windy but didn’t notice my friend TSTM making an appearance. Her accomplice TRW++ certainly had a long stay last year — maybe too long. A lot of people seemed to be getting sick of his schict and wanted more of a light and sound show; the open bar was just watered-down concoctions you could hardly call drinks, and so enraged the patrons they,d thrown them on the floor, making the carpet so sodden it had to be replaced in places. 

Still, hopefully TSTMS will get an extended stay this spring and summer, backed by a high-powered dBZ band. Her manager DSTBLZN has been known to show up too late in the day to get the deal signed, unfortunately. And RW++ wont chew up the scenery as much, we hope, this year.

Maybe even a special guest surprise visit from TVS but he usually doesn’t tour out our way. Sometimes TOR is on the marquee but she rarely shows up in person and when she does it’s usually either a total disaster or such a brief walk-on you’re apt to lose sight of it since the overall TSTMS show is so rocking at that point. Plus her managers CAPE and SRH, when they do consider our area a venue (which they rarely do), can’t seem to agree on the same time so that TOR can really put on the kind of a**kicking  +FC show that can be so dangerously majestic. Because once an +FC takes the stage, things get so rambunctious that some patrons leave the venue entirely and those that stay ... well they,re taking quite the risk. Which is why a successful booking of an +FC is so controversial. But for some people it’s the show of a lifetime, even better (if a bit riskier) than “Hamilton.”

• 3 weeks later...