Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,392
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NegativeEPO
    Newest Member
    NegativeEPO
    Joined
MattPetrulli

March 3, 2019 Severe Threat

Recommended Posts

Looks like the worst is over here.  We still have power, too.  That new tornado heading towards Monticello isn’t far from here, but it’s moving east.  If it had formed another 10 or 20 minutes earlier, that might have been an issue as I live right along I-10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

So much going on, Columbia damage...Cairo damage....FL panhandle ongoing.

yes the scanner feed I am listening too is a grouped together for many  counties in the panhandle and GA

 

hard to tell which area they are referring too,,something about a Walmart....but don't know where

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

So much going on, Columbia damage...Cairo damage....FL panhandle ongoing.

14+ fatalities confirmed with the two storms that directly hit Lee County, Alabama near Beauregard, Alabama.  The Sheriff's Department said it could be more deaths associated with the back to back tornadoes that hit the southern portion of the county. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kayman said:

14+ fatalities confirmed with the two storms that directly hit Lee County, Alabama near Beauregard, Alabama.  The Sheriff's Department said it could me more deaths associated with the back to back tornadoes that hit the southern portion of the county. 

An awful day, but a day to be remembered and learned from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0156  
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK  
0736 PM CST SUN MAR 03 2019  
  
AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF NORTHERN FLORIDA AND SOUTHEAST GEORGIA  
  
CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 9...  
  
VALID 040136Z - 040330Z  
  
THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 9 CONTINUES.  
  
SUMMARY...THE THREAT FOR A TORNADO AND LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS  
CONTINUES ACROSS LOCALLY-EXTENDED TORNADO WATCH 8 AND SOUTHERN  
PORTIONS OF TORNADO WATCH 9.  CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT A A NEW  
DOWNSTREAM WATCH WILL NOT BE NEEDED.  
  
DISCUSSION...A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH EMBEDDED/TRANSIENT  
LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATIONS WAS LOCATED FROM COLQUITT COUNTY, GA SOUTH TO  
GULF COUNTY, FL AT 0130Z.  SEVERAL TDS SIGNATURES HAVE BEEN NOTED  
WITH CIRCULATIONS ALONG THIS LINE IN THE PAST TWO HOURS, AND A  
CONTINUED RISK FOR TORNADOES WILL EXIST THROUGH 03-04Z ACROSS THE  
EASTERN FL PANHANDLE/BIG BEND GIVEN 0-1 KM SRH IN EXCESS OF 300  
M2/S2.  AS THE EVENING PROGRESSES, THIS LINE OF STORMS WILL MOVE  
INTO AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE EARLIER MIXING HAS LOWERED DEW POINTS, AND  
INCREASING CINH SHOULD LEAD TO A WEAKENING TREND.  ALTHOUGH AN  
ISOLATED RISK FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND POSSIBLY A BRIEF TORNADO WILL  
EXIST EAST AND SOUTH OF THE CURRENT WATCH AREAS, THE OVERALL TREND  
IS SUCH THAT A DOWNSTREAM WATCH IS NOT ANTICIPATED.  
  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
TORNADO WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL  
845 PM EST SUN MAR 3 2019  
  
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A  
  
* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  
  NORTHEASTERN WAKULLA COUNTY IN BIG BEND OF FLORIDA...  
  NORTHWESTERN TAYLOR COUNTY IN BIG BEND OF FLORIDA...  
  SOUTHWESTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY IN BIG BEND OF FLORIDA...  
  SOUTHERN LEON COUNTY IN BIG BEND OF FLORIDA...  
  
* UNTIL 915 PM EST.  
      
* AT 845 PM EST, A TORNADO PRODUCING STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR  
  WOODVILLE, MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.  
  
  HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.  
  
  SOURCE...RADAR CONFIRMED TORNADO.  
  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

yes the scanner feed I am listening too is a grouped together for many  counties in the panhandle and GA

 

hard to tell which area they are referring too,,something about a Walmart....but don't know where

 

Cairo still pleading for SAR, the Wal-Mart is the one in cairo...major damage in entire city

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tornado caused heavy damage just south of downtown Cairo, Georgia, said the city's mayor, Booker Gainor. Dozens of homes and several businesses were damaged or destroyed. No reports of injuries or deaths, but several people were reportedly trapped in their homes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.facebook.com/WFXLTV/videos/339367596922370/

 

live stream of damage in Cairo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately today's event is already the deadliest tornado outbreak since the April 27th-28th outbreak in 2014. I believe there were 34 deaths as a result of that event, though that outbreak covered a much larger region of the country. Of course it only takes one strong EF3+ tornado tracking through a residential area to have a significant number of fatalities. The toll in Lee County, Ala. alone stands at 22 and may rise further unfortunately. Datasets located here:

http://spc.noaa.gov/climo/torn/fatalmap.php

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the damage we’ve seen and, unfortunately, an incredibly high number of fatalities in that county, it’s very likely we had our first violent tornado in over a year today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Unfortunately today's event is already the deadliest tornado outbreak since the April 27th-28th outbreak in 2014. I believe there were 34 deaths as a result of that event, though that outbreak covered a much larger region of the country. Of course it only takes one strong EF3+ tornado tracking through a residential area to have a significant number of fatalities. The toll in Lee County, Ala. alone stands at 22 and may rise further unfortunately. Datasets located here:

http://spc.noaa.gov/climo/torn/fatalmap.php

It has gone up.  The coroner says it is now 23 deaths

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×