• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS thread 2P Mar 3-10A Mar 4 (snow, possible sleet s fringe)

wdrag

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I don't even think I got 3 inches lol

The storm the other morning looked more impressive than last night lol

The warmth was too strong for the coast. 850s were warmer than modeled and it never went below freezing here on the coast.

SNE is getting hammered

Forecasts I saw showed slightly above freezing temps were expected around the city but would be overwhelmed by heavy snow rates at night. Is it the heavy snow never came? Speaking just from my memory, when we count on very heavy snow to overcome temps it usually doesnt materialize. I always take it with a grain of salt. 

I know some people will say.."they closed school for this??"

17 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I don't even think I got 3 inches lol

The storm the other morning looked more impressive than last night lol

The warmth was too strong for the coast. 850s were warmer than modeled and it never went below freezing here on the coast.

SNE is getting hammered

I was in snow longer than you. I mixed for like 30 mins max

1 minute ago, dWave said:

Forecasts I saw showed slightly above freezing temps were expected around the city but would be overwhelmed by heavy snow rates at night. Is it the heavy snow never came? Speaking just from my memory, when we count on very heavy snow to overcome temps it usually doesnt materialize. I always take it with a grain of salt. 

Mayor and Board of Ed should have waited until 5am to make the decision to close the schools. I know, people will say they need to know the night before to make arrangements etc. I remember them making school open/closed decisions all the time in the early mornings.

11 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Hate to say I told you so, but two hours into this storm, it was obvious urban areas to the south would underperform.

Nothing complicated...it was just too warm.

Still 33F here. Even with 8 inches of snow on ground

Yes it was 

It sucks because this is the last storm of the season and it was a bust.

10 minutes ago, dWave said:

We did get into the heavy rates but it was sleet here. Northern sections of the area got more snow but nothing like what Upton predicted. The warming was too strong to overcome.

We need 850s below freezing and temps near freezing in order for the coasties to win.

7 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Mayor and Board of Ed should have waited until 5am to make the decision to close the schools. I know, people will say they need to know the night before to make arrangements etc. I remember them making school open/closed decisions all the time in the early mornings.

They use to do that all the time back in the day. I remember waking up early to see if school was closed.

How much did you measure in Sheepshead ? Looks like 2 inches.

7 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

We used to wake up at 5:30am to wait for the siren, if they blew the alert siren at the firehouses we had no school. This night before stuff keeps biting school districts and businesses in the bum, you'd think they would learn...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

We used to wake up at 5:30am to wait for the siren, if they blew the alert siren at the firehouses we had no school. This night before stuff keeps biting school districts and businesses in the bum, you'd think they would learn...

The worst bust was March 2001. Closed schools for 5 inches after 2-3 feet was forecasted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Yes it was 

It sucks because this is the last storm of the season and it was a bust.

We did get into the heavy rates but it was sleet here. Northern sections of the area got more snow but nothing like what Upton predicted. The warming was too strong to overcome.

We need 850s below freezing and temps near freezing in order for the coasties to win.

They use to do that all the time back in the day. I remember waking up early to see if school was closed.

How much did you measure in Sheepshead ? Looks like 2 inches.

Had 2 inches before the sleet moved in here.

17 minutes ago, dWave said:

No the heavy snow came at least where I am on the uws. The problem was we had already lost so much to non accumulating snow. About 4”, 3.5” of which fell in 2 hours from 12-2 

41 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

It’s what I was saying last night as things were playing out. March storms in borderline thermals in the immediate nyc metro are never a sure thing for accumulations. Multiple March 2018 events were clear examples of that. 

No harm in waiting till the early hours to make a decision like they used to do. 

4” or so outside here. Looks like winter for a change which is nice. 

The writing was on the wall for coastal areas last night when the sleet line surged north, but I had some hope when the heavy rates put a stop to it I guess temporarily. I passed out when the meat of it was coming through. Glad I passed out since it looks like maybe 2 more inches fell after I went to bed. Much of it must’ve been sleet. 

52 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

I think it's the logistics of getting a million + students on the move that has them avoiding any morning-of calls. Because of the scheduled end time of 4-5 AM and marginal temps I was telling my wife and son all weekend he'd have school. I hate to play armchair mayor, but this was a mistake. When you remember how many hundreds of thousands of kids are dependent on being in school for their meals, how many parents don't have the ability to just stay or work from home, it's is hugely disruptive.

4 minutes ago, hooralph said:

I think it's the logistics of getting a million + students on the move that has them avoiding any morning-of calls. Because of the scheduled end time of 4-5 AM and marginal temps I was telling my wife and son all weekend he'd have school. I hate to play armchair mayor, but this was a mistake. When you remember how many hundreds of thousands of kids are dependent on being in school for their meals, how many parents don't have the ability to just stay or work from home, it's is hugely disruptive.

Couldn't agree more.  What's the harm in waiting till the overnight hours? Now I have to stay with my kid and work from home which will never be as productive as heading into the office. I am one of the lucky ones that can do that, others don't have that luxury.

I got a bit over 4", definitely more than on Saturday. 

It looks very pretty out with everything covered. Although a bust it's enough to raise my grade from an F to a D on this winter. 

It's now solidly better than 01/02, 07/08, 11/12, and a couple of the late 90s winters but still a far cry from more seasonal winters like 08/09 and 12/13. 

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

Hate to say I told you so, but two hours into this storm, it was obvious urban areas to the south would underperform.

Nothing complicated...it was just too warm.

Still 33F here. Even with 8 inches of snow on ground

I am to the south and had over 6...but am outside of the city areas to the west of the city did ok

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Lol and we used coal to write on a shovel and no one had no stinking air conditioning and we walked miles to school with holes in our shoes I tell ya and if we were late the teacher would beat us with a cane and when dad found out he’d whup us agin ...truth is many folks can work from home now and so can kids. My daughter was doing work all night online. Districts are seriously considering scrapping snow days altogether 

24 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Couldn't agree more.  What's the harm in waiting till the overnight hours? Now I have to stay with my kid and work from home which will never be as productive as heading into the office. I am one of the lucky ones that can do that, others don't have that luxury.

Cherish it why would you want to go to the office? Your home and not getting charged for the day embrace it! 

Central Park measured 3.8 inches at 1 am when it was still snowing heavy. Their peak was probably around 3 am.

I'm sure since then it compressed and melted in half at least. Curious what they'll report. I would guess the peak was 5-6 inches around 2:30, but if they measure this morning at 7am or later it will most likely have compressed and melted to half that or less.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Cherish it why would you want to go to the office? Your home and not getting charged for the day embrace it! 

2 kids at home (5 year old and 10 month old) = non productive work at home day which will have to be made up during the rest of the week.  I probably would have been happier if it actually snowed a decent amount, sledding would have been more fun.