• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

On 6/30/2019 at 9:41 PM, John1122 said:

Well no sooner do I post that total and think that's it for June, a storm drops out of Kentucky and it's coming a downpour here.

I’ve had some similar storms over the past week as well.  All from the north and out of no where!  Rain totals for the month are pretty astonishing for June.  We will have to wait on the verdict for July though. Humidity has been a bear this week on the west side of the state.  

• Like 1

Stuck in the haze of summer I have fell silent on the forum. Just checking in to say "Hi I'm still here and lurking" haha. While for the most part it's been pretty dull weather wise up this way I've observed a handful of borderline severe storms. I may at some point later today send a couple of pictures I took of wall clouds.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, John1122 said:

It has rained here at least some every day in July except one, including 2.4 inches today.  Already at 4.56 inches for the month. It's like living in Central Florida. 

So John, I know you are big about keeping notes and records of the weather in your area.  I was just curious about what type of winters you’ve had after summers with unusually high rainfall totals.  There may not be any correlation, but I thought if there was any you would know.  Let me know what you find out please.

2 hours ago, AMZ8990 said:

So John, I know you are big about keeping notes and records of the weather in your area.  I was just curious about what type of winters you’ve had after summers with unusually high rainfall totals.  There may not be any correlation, but I thought if there was any you would know.  Let me know what you find out please.

I don't know if there's any correlation but off the top of my head, winters are not all that memorable for snow lovers after very wet summers. 89 was a wet summer and we had the frigid December but the rest of winter was blah. Last year was exceptionally wet, also blah winter if you weren't close to the NC border and it wasn't great for people there, just better than for the rest of us. These days it seems like adjusting expectations downward regarding snow/ice/cold works much better than looking at anything in the past. Past analogs for last year were pretty bullish, but we fell in the 25 percent of the analogs where winter wasn't memorable, rather than the 75 percent that it was.  My particular area used to be pretty steady in that we'd get 10+ inches every year, always at least one solid 4-6 inch snowfall. Now we are in boom/bust for the last 15 years or so. We either get 25+ inches or less than 10 without a lot of middle ground. I just have to go with that we are in a new climate reality and that the past doesn't reflect the future as much as it once might've.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow John, your area has really been hit hard with rain over the past couple months. It had been pretty wet here too, until recently. Until today, I had only had 0.01in since June 25! Everywhere around me had been getting rain, but in this one little area where I live, we had not. I picked up 0.60in today. Since it had been 16 days since I had significant rain, I’ll gladly take it!

• Like 3

Had around another inch today in N Knox Co. My fescue lawn looks really good for this time off year. I’ve even had some fungus issues with a few shrubs. I know hot and humid stinks but for lawn guys like myself, hot and dry is worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

Wow John, your area has really been hit hard with rain over the past couple months. It had been pretty wet here too, until recently. Until today, I had only had 0.01in since June 25! Everywhere around me had been getting rain, but in this one little area where I live, we had not. I picked up 0.60in today. Since it had been 16 days since I had significant rain, I’ll gladly take it!

I believe we've only had 2 or maybe 3 days without rain since June 25th here.

• Like 1

It's downright comical how unlucky my location in west Knox has been with the rains this summer.  I had a good downpour last Sunday but nothing since and was dry for 9 days before that.  Storms fire on the plateau and steer either north or south of me, or fall apart around Farragut.  At least I get to watch the lightning as Maryville gets nailed.

• Sad 2

This is just from yesterday, it rained 1.5 inches on Wednesday. I'm at 9.14 inches for July already.
rainfall.png.e12a931a45d1632351e73a1398eb07b2.png

I ended up with around 2.15”. Got lucky with a cell that stalled when it interacted with a outflow boundary and sorta pulsed backwards before moving SE.

• Like 3

On 7/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, John1122 said:

I don't know if there's any correlation but off the top of my head, winters are not all that memorable for snow lovers after very wet summers. 89 was a wet summer and we had the frigid December but the rest of winter was blah. Last year was exceptionally wet, also blah winter if you weren't close to the NC border and it wasn't great for people there, just better than for the rest of us. These days it seems like adjusting expectations downward regarding snow/ice/cold works much better than looking at anything in the past. Past analogs for last year were pretty bullish, but we fell in the 25 percent of the analogs where winter wasn't memorable, rather than the 75 percent that it was.  My particular area used to be pretty steady in that we'd get 10+ inches every year, always at least one solid 4-6 inch snowfall. Now we are in boom/bust for the last 15 years or so. We either get 25+ inches or less than 10 without a lot of middle ground. I just have to go with that we are in a new climate reality and that the past doesn't reflect the future as much as it once might've.

Good stuff, thanks for that!  I think adjusting expectations downward is a good idea as well.  As hard as that may be to come to terms with, (haha).  Good info to know though going forward, everyone will have to me more reserved when using past analogs to interpret future seasons/climate.  On a side note-  the rain has started rolling into west Tn from tropical storm Barry.  Some areas could see significant flash flooding so it could get dangerous for some of our neighbors in Mississippi, as well as parts of Tennessee and Alabama.  The temps have dropped off significantly ahead of the storm as well.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:07 PM, Stovepipe said:

It's downright comical how unlucky my location in west Knox has been with the rains this summer.  I had a good downpour last Sunday but nothing since and was dry for 9 days before that.  Storms fire on the plateau and steer either north or south of me, or fall apart around Farragut.  At least I get to watch the lightning as Maryville gets nailed.

How’s your garden doing this year man?

Nice cell going through here tonight

The National Weather Service in Nashville has issued a

* Flood Advisory for...
  Central Marshall County in Middle Tennessee...
  West central Rutherford County in Middle Tennessee...
  Central Maury County in Middle Tennessee...
  Eastern Williamson County in Middle Tennessee...
  Northern Giles County in Middle Tennessee...

* Until 915 PM CDT.

* At 715 PM CDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to
  thunderstorms. This will cause minor flooding in the advisory area.
  Doppler radar estimates up to two inches of rain has already
  fallen.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Franklin, Columbia, Lewisburg, Brentwood, Spring Hill, Nolensville,
  Thompson`s Station, Chapel Hill, Cornersville, Eagleville,
  Lynnville, Culleoka, I-65 East Of Columbia and Triune.

Additional rainfall of 1 to 2 inches is expected over the area. This
additional rain will result in minor flooding.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some windy storms this evening. Broke a power pole and knocked power out all over the mountain here. Picked up .74 inches of rain today and this evening. 1.38 after 2 days in August. If we can get any cold this winter and this precip pipeline continues maybe we can land some decent snows across the Valley region at some point this winter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John1122 said:

Had some windy storms this evening. Broke a power pole and knocked power out all over the mountain here. Picked up .74 inches of rain today and this evening. 1.38 after 2 days in August. If we can get any cold this winter and this precip pipeline continues maybe we can land some decent snows across the Valley region at some point this winter. 

What is your record rainfall for a year?I'm sure your're way past your avg. for a year

#3 this week

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Nashville TN
546 PM CDT Sat Aug 3 2019

TNZ026-027-059-032330-
Williamson TN-Davidson TN-Cheatham TN-
546 PM CDT Sat Aug 3 2019

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SOUTHERN DAVIDSON...NORTHEASTERN
WILLIAMSON AND SOUTHEASTERN CHEATHAM COUNTIES UNTIL 630 PM CDT...

At 545 PM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over
Bellevue, or 10 miles northwest of Franklin, moving east at 20 mph.

Winds in excess of 35 mph will be possible with this storm.

Locations impacted include...
Franklin, Ashland City, Nashville, Brentwood, La Vergne, Nolensville,
Forest Hills, Oak Hill, Belle Meade, Kingston Springs, Pegram,
Bellevue, Antioch, Fairview, Berry Hill, Bells Bend and Natchez Trace
At Highway 96.

This includes the following highways...
 Interstate 40 between mile markers 188 and 215.
 Interstate 65 between mile markers 59 and 82.
 Interstate 24 between mile markers 49 and 63.
 Interstate 840 between mile markers 31 and 37.

Williamson County Fair will also be impacted.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Torrential rainfall is also occurring with this storm, and may lead
to localized flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded
roadways.

Frequent cloud to ground lightning is occurring with this storm.
Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe
shelter inside a building or vehicle.

This storm may intensify, so be certain to monitor local radio
stations and available television stations for additional information
and possible warnings from the National Weather Service.
  • Like 1