• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

After the front came through yesterday, it brought what I thought was one of the best airmasses in what seems like a year. Pollen down and crystal skies before the lower clouds rolled back in and a nice breeze. 

One pic is of the clear air afterwards and one of the storms as they were building over Knoxville. 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure some of you have heard about the recycling center fire in Knoxville.  It's about 2.5 miles from my house and was watching it on radar yesterday. As I was watching it though I noticed an outflow boundary from an old storm intersecting it and that seemed to fire up a storm. Not sure if that is exactly what happened, but thought I'd share to see what y'all think:

giphy.gif 

The storm I'm looking for fires over the NE sections on Knoxville, just north of downtown, at 23:20 time stamp. Just prior to that you can still see the smoke plume from the fire. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I'm sure some of you have heard about the recycling center fire in Knoxville.  It's about 2.5 miles from my house and was watching it on radar yesterday. As I was watching it though I noticed an outflow boundary from an old storm intersecting it and that seemed to fire up a storm. Not sure if that is exactly what happened, but thought I'd share to see what y'all think:

giphy.gif 

The storm I'm looking for fires over the NE sections on Knoxville, just north of downtown, at 23:20 time stamp. Just prior to that you can still see the smoke plume from the fire. 

Yesterday around 5 pm, it appeared to me that a few cumulus had formed in the wake of the smoke.  I wondered if the smoke/heat provided a little extra lift in that area, but thought I was nuts for thinking so.  I was in the powell area around 8 pm when that second trailing storm passed south of the fire and noticed on radar (and outside observations) that the outflow boundary from the second cell pushed the smoke further north into the halls and powell area.  The smell was distinct.  

• 1 month later...

I was rather disappointed in this system until this afternoon in the Mid Valley.The position of the LP kept getting us cut off.Not bad though this afternoon,our temps rose into the mid 80's, even into the mid morning   everything was saturated with high PW's for some decent rain,least i was hoping and it did well.Most areas have gotten some much needed decent  rains in Tn since Wed,this isn't updated also

...TENNESSEE...
OLIVE BRANCH                          8.70                    
GERMANTOWN                            7.32                    
DOWNTOWN MEMPHIS                      6.70                    
COLLIERVILLE 1.4 SE                   6.68                    
HERNANDO 5 S                          5.31                    
HENDERSONVILLE 3 NE                   5.00                    
OLD HICKORY 1.2 SSE                   4.92                    
GALLATIN                              4.71                    
MOUNT JULIET                          4.34                    
LYNCHBURG 1 NNW                       4.24                    
MEMPHIS INTL ARPT                     4.03                    
BRISTOL/TRI-CITIES AIRPORT            3.83                    
WINCHESTER 5.4 SSE                    3.63                    
SUMNER CO APT                         3.25                    
TUSCULUM 0.7 WNW                      2.80                    
MADISON 1.2 WSW                       2.76                    
ATOKA 1.9 S                           2.72                    
LEBANON 10.5 ENE                      2.55                    
FRANKLIN 3.6 NW                       2.54   

I was rather disappointed in this system until this afternoon in the Mid Valley.The position of the LP kept getting us cut off.Not bad though this afternoon,our temps rose into the mid 80's, even into the mid morning   everything was saturated with high PW's for some decent rain,least i was hoping and it did well.Most areas have gotten some much needed decent  rains in Tn since Wed,this isn't updated also

...TENNESSEE...OLIVE BRANCH                          8.70                    GERMANTOWN                            7.32                    DOWNTOWN MEMPHIS                      6.70                    COLLIERVILLE 1.4 SE                   6.68                    HERNANDO 5 S                          5.31                    HENDERSONVILLE 3 NE                   5.00                    OLD HICKORY 1.2 SSE                   4.92                    GALLATIN                              4.71                    MOUNT JULIET                          4.34                    LYNCHBURG 1 NNW                       4.24                    MEMPHIS INTL ARPT                     4.03                    BRISTOL/TRI-CITIES AIRPORT            3.83                    WINCHESTER 5.4 SSE                    3.63                    SUMNER CO APT                         3.25                    TUSCULUM 0.7 WNW                      2.80                    MADISON 1.2 WSW                       2.76                    ATOKA 1.9 S                           2.72                    LEBANON 10.5 ENE                      2.55                    FRANKLIN 3.6 NW                       2.54   

Knoxville got hammered this afternoon. Seen reports of over 2 inches. Got this pic as the storms were rolling in. 7e683eb1bea5f58339df654f8a9196cf.jpg

• Like 3

Another 1.5 inches here tonight. Over 10 for the last 5 days in the area. The sheer volume of flood damage is unbelievable. Homes underwater, buildings swept away, roads shredded, giant ditches opened up in yards. Water has been off for days in areas, as has power. Large trees both blown down and washed down. Thousands of tons of mud and debris are every where. Guardrails 15-20 feet above the level of creeks along sides of roads are clogged with logs. There are some large steep ridges that run parallel to the Cumberland Mountains in Campbell County. The bottoms of those ridges were destroyed by the runoff. I drove past a few front yards today that had ditches 4-5 feet wide and 8-10 feet deep in them. It looked like someone came in with a track hoe and just ripped it up. I saw one estimate that 7.4 inches of rain fell in 2 hours over those ridge tops.

• Sad 1

That's awful. Looks like MRX went FF Warning very early Friday morning, well before dawn. Perhaps the Advisory was for follow-up? 

When in doubt, tweet the National Weather Service @NWSMorristown pictures. They will warn on tweets. They also appreciate tweets for verification and tracking.

NWS twitter offices all use their names spelled out; so, one does not have to guess the 3-letter ID. Also use #stwx where st is the two-letter state.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Must have been a drag for the people that went in summer clothes to Bonnaroo last night,but i'm sure a few had a half-pint to much already anyways but for those that didn't

ational Weather Service Nashville TN
929 AM CDT Fri Jun 14 2019

.UPDATE...
FOR MORNING DISCUSSION.

&&

.DISCUSSION...

The day began with near record cool temperatures across the area.
Monterey had 46, Kingston Springs 47, Fall Creek Falls 42, and
47 at Manchesteroo.

Today will be the very best of the foreseeable future by most
standards. Skies will be sunny with some patches of thin cirrus.
Temps will reach the 70s to lower 80s with comfy humidity levels.
Tonight will be cool, but not quite as much as this morning.

Forecast has been updated to adjust hourly trends and lower
afternoon dew points due to deep mixing.

From the previous discussion...Temperatures and dew points will
be noticeably higher on Saturday compared to today.

Rain chances will return starting on Sunday as upper flow becomes
southwesterly and deep moisture settles into the area. Activity on
Sunday looks to be mainly diurnal, but we will start seeing a
series of disturbances embedded in the southwesterly flow Sunday
night. Showers and storms will be more widespread on Monday with
more upper level support compared to Sunday. A stronger shortwave
will move through the area on Tuesday with even higher coverage of
PoPs on Tuesday. We will be between shortwaves on Wednesday with
more zonal upper flow, so showers and storms should be less
widespread. Another shortwave will move through Wednesday night
into Thursday bringing more showers and storms. The rest of the
work week will see some diurnal showers and storms, but no
organized waves.

Temperatures Sunday through next week will be near normal with
mild nights. Highs Monday and Tuesday will be a couple degrees
cooler than Wednesday through Friday with widespread cloud cover
and showers and storms. Lows Saturday night through next week will
be in the mid 60s to lower 70s.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh wow I did not notice that Monday. Kept redeveloping over Chatty though. The usual stabilize and quit did not happen. That Bledsoe Co storm was locked on.

We had a true short-wave in contrast to typical summer pop-up season. Also a veered moist LLJ fed the storms. Veered played a role in the training, promoting back building and redevelopment.

My lawn is very happy!

• Thanks 1

Crazy how rainy this year is so far. I'm sitting here at 13+ inches for June as the rain pounds down outside right now. It was already the wettest winter into spring on record for most of us. I am approaching 45 inches for the year already. We are either going to break a record or have a drought at this rate, not much middle ground.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John1122 said:

Almost non moving thunderstorm over Campbell County for the last 3 hours. Wide spread power outages again and more flooding. 3-4 inches of rain in the last few hours over parts of the area. Been raining heavily here for over 2 hours as well. Right at 2 inches of rain, closing in on 17 inches for June. 

We had some good storms Wed AND Thurs.Wednesday, we lost power for about 30 min.Thursday was  even better,alot of tree damage with some heavy rain in Williamson Co,DBZ on my radar was over 50,at times i couldn't even see out my window for a few minutes, lasted about 20-30 minutes that was one of the best cells i've seen here in quite some time.

• Like 2

Well, going to finish the month at 16.84 inches of rain. Looking typically hot and humid for the next week, but at least days are getting shorter. Seems like after 4th of July week summer fades fast these days, maybe not weather wise, but football related things kick into high gear and I can take the heat better with football going.