• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy

Just about to say something similar John. Flurries in Knoxville and one of the few days this winter that has a wintery feel to it.  

Normally I'm not a fan of cloudy and cold, but I'm just so tried of the rain that these types of clouds seem nice. I never thought I'd say I was starting to distinguish between types of cloudy days, (and like some more than others) but there it is. 

Went to Petty John's Cave in N GA yesterday and it was just a washout. Interesting experience being in a cave with a torrential downpour with saturated ground. You can really see where/ how the cave making happens. 

• Like 1

17 degrees this AM and a few snow flurries on the way to drop of the kids at school. Before I left the house with them I caught a glimpse of a cool sun pillar (at least that’s what I’ve always heard them called. There may be another name.)over the mountains. I have seen them before but never could quite get the lighting right to get a picture or I’m driving. This morning I wasn’t in a hurry and was finally able to get a decent picture. 

FC25334E-D568-4FC7-AF57-1B8253F205EF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just had sleet and a few flakes mixed in. Enough to show up again in the eves of houses. Guess we’ll call it an “eve-duster” haha. It’s melting now that it’s stopped. Temp is 35. Dewpoint 31. I see that just north of the state line in VA, many counties are under WWA. Maybe Blunder will pick up a nice surprise this AM!

• Like 2

Winds are starting to pick up along the mountains and foothills.  There could be a significant wind event tonight in a few spots. The wind profile on models is more favorable now. I could see an upgrade to a high wind warning being warranted as the event gets going.

• Thanks 1

Recent gust of around 71mph at Camp Creek. The rain overcame the downslope flow and moved over the area, otherwise I think the gusts would have been higher so far.

Edit: Update from MRX discussion. 

.DISCUSSION...Quick update to upgrade rest of wind advisory area to a high wind warning. Also included Cherokee and Clay county North Carolina. The strongest wind gusts will occur above 3500 feet with gusts between 60 and 70 mph. Gusts between 70 and 80 mph are possible at elevations above 4000 feet. Decision was made based on HTX and MRX velocity readings. Both radars have consistently been showing 70kts of velocity above 3500 feet and 80kts above 5000 feet. Sevier county electric currently reporting 3000 customers without power. Sevier county dispatch reported much of Gatlinburg without power.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Controlled burn? 

Must have been some interesting mid/ upper winds for that smoke to take that weird split path. Definitely noticed it over Knox this PM. 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2019/mar/18/fires-might-be-part-prescribed-burns/490784/

Not sure about the one near Cumberland County though:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Had another bout of small hail, and would really swear there was sleet and even a flake or 2 mixing in with it this evening. Temp dropped to 35 degrees during the heaviest of it. Covered the picnic table and stuck pretty good on the kiddos trampoline. 

E9A6814D-39A6-4F62-B76C-4AF2B770FEB5.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jed33 said:

Had another bout of small hail, and would really swear there was sleet and even a flake or 2 mixing in with it this evening. Temp dropped to 35 degrees during the heaviest of it. Covered the picnic table and stuck pretty good on the kiddos trampoline. 

E9A6814D-39A6-4F62-B76C-4AF2B770FEB5.jpeg

Same thing happened here around 6:30 this evening. Just rained ice for a bit. 

• Like 1