• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mountains and Foothills Spring/Summer thread

FlatLander48

I went up to Roan Mountain yesterday to take a look at the Rhododendron bloom. Unfortunately it was a bit of a dud this year. There were blooms but the coverage was rather sparse and I was told it just wasn't a good year. I am not having a good track record so far between the fall foliage season and this. None the less the weather was near perfect and the views were great.

• Like 1

Our own local Baker Perry from ASU was a key part in this.   Congrats Baker!  An ultimate accomplishment!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/06/mount-everest-highest-weather-station/?fbclid=IwAR01v4bw89wD8sPm-EaS6gdP6d9Q8IhLoxZj1c3ZrCkxtmCq8qn7lbcfbHQ

To design and install a series of automated weather stations at various altitudes, Mayewski recruited Baker Perry, a tall, taciturn climate scientist from Appalachian State University, who once played professional basketball in Bolivia, and Tom Mathews, a quick-talking English climatologist and avid marathoner from Loughborough University.

ZhjxZq5.jpg

Here is a link to the data:

https://nationalgeographic.org/earth-pulse/everest/widget/16?embed=true

• Like 2

I went up to Roan Mountain yesterday to take a look at the Rhododendron bloom. Unfortunately it was a bit of a dud this year. There were blooms but the coverage was rather sparse and I was told it just wasn't a good year. I am not having a good track record so far between the fall foliage season and this. None the less the weather was near perfect and the views were great.
You were just late. They were absolutely spectacular early last week. The whole season has been 7-10 days early so far. Photo conditions have been pretty terrible overall as well with the Canadian Wildfire smoke, stupid hazy vista's and then the flood. 07f0717d968f3b04cd00a592d1b68561.jpg
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

You were just late. They were absolutely spectacular early last week. The whole season has been 7-10 days early so far. Photo conditions have been pretty terrible overall as well with the Canadian Wildfire smoke, stupid hazy vista's and then the flood. 07f0717d968f3b04cd00a592d1b68561.jpg

Ahh that makes sense. I guess it is hard to get everything to line up.

That line just skirted to the south of where I am in Indiana working, it has looked nasty in radar all evening.  Hate being out of town when something damaging could happen because I know I’ll get a frantic phone call from home that I can do nothing about. Stay safe fellas! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jburns said:

IMO yes. It traveled about 1000 miles and had a strong punch.

I was in Paris, TN, northwest of Nashville, when it came through the state park there around 6:30 PM.  Crazy amounts of wind ahead of the rain and small hail.  I was in awe watching the trees sway back and forth with such ferocity.

1 minute ago, calculus1 said:

I was in Paris, TN, northwest of Nashville, when it came through the state park there around 6:30 PM.  Crazy amounts of wind ahead of the rain and small hail.  I was in awe watching the trees sway back and forth with such ferocity.

Did it look like the post I just put up in the severe weather thread?

5 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Yes, although we didn't see much wind here in Saluda NC as it passed around 3 am, down the escarpment in Tryon and Columbus there was some minor damage and a lot of unsecured summer things blown about... (chairs and such a friend had his gas grill blown over). Amazing how there is another cluster of storm following a similar path.... on synoptic radar it looks like an S curve... unusual look instead of the bow we normally see

2 minutes ago, jburns said:

Did it look like the post I just put up in the severe weather thread?

Not quite that intense.  I think that would be hard to beat.  =)

We were up on a hilltop overlooking Kentucky Lake (Paris Landing State Park).  The trees swayed back and forth as if they were fans.  Left, right, swirling.  It was very eerie and surreal.  No rain fell as this was happening.  Then it calmed down briefly before the rain hit us.  Hard.  The gust front, derecho, or whatever we want to call it was one of the most impressive and sustained that I have ever witnessed.

We then left out this morning before the next MCS passed through.  Raced it home all day until it caught up to us at about the NC/TN state line on I-40.  Torrential rainfall on that curvy, walled interstate section is no fun at all.

Looks like the third MCS will hit overnight.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:16 AM, nchighcountrywx said:

Our own local Baker Perry from ASU was a key part in this.   Congrats Baker!  An ultimate accomplishment!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/06/mount-everest-highest-weather-station/?fbclid=IwAR01v4bw89wD8sPm-EaS6gdP6d9Q8IhLoxZj1c3ZrCkxtmCq8qn7lbcfbHQ

To design and install a series of automated weather stations at various altitudes, Mayewski recruited Baker Perry, a tall, taciturn climate scientist from Appalachian State University, who once played professional basketball in Bolivia, and Tom Mathews, a quick-talking English climatologist and avid marathoner from Loughborough University.

ZhjxZq5.jpg

Here is a link to the data:

https://nationalgeographic.org/earth-pulse/everest/widget/16?embed=true

That is so cool. Gonna be interesting to see how cold it gets this winter in the sensors survive that long.

• 2 weeks later...

My son starts football this week and it got me thinking about how fall is right around the corner. I noticed the CPC 4 days ago put out a discussion stating their belief that we're headed toward ENSO-neutral through fall and winter. So for the sake of breaking up the silence, what is everyone projecting for fall heading into winter here in the mountains?

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

On 7/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

My son starts football this week and it got me thinking about how fall is right around the corner. I noticed the CPC 4 days ago put out a discussion stating their belief that we're headed toward ENSO-neutral through fall and winter. So for the sake of breaking up the silence, what is everyone projecting for fall heading into winter here in the mountains?

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

So much for breaking up the silence, the only thing I project is more activity when snow is showing up on the short range models.  Until then, enjoy the rest of the Summer, Fall...maybe anther late Fall snow this year, we will see.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

I think we will be warm and dry this fall into winter. With the way spring and summer have been I think that is our future winter...

• Like 1