Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mountains and Foothills Spring/Summer thread

FlatLander48

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

Going to be hot here in Salter Path as well. That's why I had them put in an ocean out back. Pricey, but worth it when it heats up.

My station in Yancey Co. says it's 66.9. Can that be right?

I'm currently at 71.1° at 4400' and Mt. Mitchell is at 68°. 

19 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I'm loving this weather, but some rain would be nice.  I'm hoping these showers back to the west of us deliver later this evening.  

Got some rain up this way in Boone last night. Hope yall had some as well, can already tell my allergies are so much better.

19 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

That was quick.

emoji14.png

(That's what she said) also the heat doesnt bother me unless I'm working and dont get to enjoy it lol, then I just want it to be miserable and wet outside so I feel like I'm not missing anything.

I may be the only one who thinks this, but did we really need the rain? We were only .31 below normal at the airport for May. We are 8 inches above normal for the year. We have had a 100 inches of rain in the last year in a half. People around here were acting like we were in the Oklahoma dust bowl. 

I am sick of rain. The ground water table has to be maxed out. We had many years with half the rain we have had, and seemed to do fine. 

We are getting ready to flood, YET AGAIN. Is the new norm that we have to flood before we have had enough rain? I am just speaking of WNC. Other areas may need the rain. A brown yard does not mean we need the rain in my opinion. Any farmers should be prepared for drier spells.

Something doesn't add up to me. We should be fine on rain for a couple of months one would think. Not saying I am not wrong. That is just the way that it seems to me.

5 hours ago, ncjoaquin said:

I may be the only one who thinks this, but did we really need the rain? We were only .31 below normal at the airport for May. We are 8 inches above normal for the year. We have had a 100 inches of rain in the last year in a half. People around here were acting like we were in the Oklahoma dust bowl. 

I am sick of rain. The ground water table has to be maxed out. We had many years with half the rain we have had, and seemed to do fine. 

We are getting ready to flood, YET AGAIN. Is the new norm that we have to flood before we have had enough rain? I am just speaking of WNC. Other areas may need the rain. A brown yard does not mean we need the rain in my opinion. Any farmers should be prepared for drier spells.

Something doesn't add up to me. We should be fine on rain for a couple of months one would think. Not saying I am not wrong. That is just the way that it seems to me.

I agree with you, look at the drought monitor and that tells the tale when it comes to needing rain IMO.  Eastern side of the state, sure.  Us? Nope.

WPC Soecial Statement On Flask Flood Threat

The latest HRRR guidance favors additional pockets of 3 to 6+ inch
rainfall amounts going through 06Z, with the heaviest amounts
occurring over western NC. In time, areas of southwest VA may see
a bit of an uptick in more concentrated rainfall which will be due
to some strengthening and veering of the low-level flow north of
the stationary front. Given the earlier heavy rains and enhanced
rainfall potential overnight (especially with such high rainfall
rates), flash flooding will be likely and may be locally
significant.

D2219D2E-649F-4966-988C-9154CC3D4FC7.gif

Headwaters of Lake Norman at Lookout Shoals Dam is highest it has been since 1940. 

Areas of northwest Catawba County, eastern Caldwell County, and western Alexander County  saw 8-12 inches of rainfall. The heaviest rainfall was focused over the watersheds feeding Lake Rhodhiss and Lake Hickory and was responsible for levels at Lookout Shoals Lake not seen since  1940. This has caused flooding of homes along the lake and evacuation orders are in effect.

* The latest lake level data for Lookout Shoals Lake are as follows:

CURRENT POOL...106.7 feet (Moderate Flooding) and falling steadily.
FULL POOL...100.0 feet.
CREST...108.19 feet at 9am on June 9.
This is the highest level recorded since August 1940, when the lake crested at 114.40 feet. Crests during the 2004 and 2013 floods were 107.4 and 107.0 feet, respectively.

Video will not post so still image 

E6LyvBt.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Headwaters of Lake Norman at Lookout Shoals Dam is highest it has been since 1940. 

Areas of northwest Catawba County, eastern Caldwell County, and western Alexander County  saw 8-12 inches of rainfall. The heaviest rainfall was focused over the watersheds feeding Lake Rhodhiss and Lake Hickory and was responsible for levels at Lookout Shoals Lake not seen since  1940. This has caused flooding of homes along the lake and evacuation orders are in effect.

* The latest lake level data for Lookout Shoals Lake are as follows:

CURRENT POOL...106.7 feet (Moderate Flooding) and falling steadily.
FULL POOL...100.0 feet.
CREST...108.19 feet at 9am on June 9.
This is the highest level recorded since August 1940, when the lake crested at 114.40 feet. Crests during the 2004 and 2013 floods were 107.4 and 107.0 feet, respectively.

Video will not post so still image 

E6LyvBt.jpg

That is impressive. I would love to see the video.