Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mountains and Foothills Spring/Summer thread

FlatLander48

5 hours ago, BretWheatley said:

Close to 6 in Mountain Home. House flooded again. Sigh... Happy "Good" Friday!

Turned out my basement was flooding about the time I was posting the frowny face about your house flooding.  Ended up with about 5.3" IMBY.  Still made it out to take a few pictures of the $850,000 soccer field project:

IMG_4554.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Turned out my basement was flooding about the time I was posting the frowny face about your house flooding.  Ended up with about 5.3" IMBY.  Still made it out to take a few pictures of the $850,000 soccer field project:

IMG_4554.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

It's almost like...you could've see this coming.  Azalea has flooded more times than I can remember in the 4 years since I moved to WNC.  

• Like 2

GSP AFD:

QPF WILL BE GENERALLY A   QUARTER OF AN INCH OR LESS, ALTHOUGH LOCALLY OVER HALF AN INCH FOR   AREAS THAT EXPERIENCE HEAVIER SHOWERS, ESPECIALLY ACROSS HIGHER   ELEVATIONS. WITH THE HIGH APRIL SUN ANGLE (SIMILAR TO THAT OF LATE   AUGUST), CURRENTLY EXPECT ANY ADVISORY LEVEL SNOWFALL (GREATER THAN   AN INCH) TO BUT LARGELY ABOVE 5K FT ELEVATION (WHERE 2 TO 4+ INCHES   IS POSSIBLE) AND THEREFORE WILL NOT REQUIRE ANY WINTER PRODUCTS AT   THIS TIME. DUE TO THE SHOWERY NATURE, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT UP TO 2   INCHES OF SNOW COULD ACCUMULATE DOWN TO 4K FEET LOCALLY

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN
448 PM EDT SAT APR 20 2019

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0329 PM     SNOW             6 SSW ROAN MOUNTAIN     36.11N 82.11W
04/20/2019  E1.0 INCH        CARTER             TN   BROADCAST MEDIA  

ESTIMATED 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW NEAR CARVERS 
            GAP AND ROAN MOUNTAIN NEAR THE TN/NC STATE 
            LINE AROUND 5600 FEET ELEVATION. 

0700 AM     SNOW             MOUNT LECONTE           35.65N 83.44W
04/20/2019  M1.5 INCH        SEVIER             TN   CO-OP OBSERVER
  • Like 1

Wound up at 5400 at the entrance to Mile High Campground just off the Blue Ridge Parkway above Maggie Valley, and measured 4 inches of snow in one spot Saturday around 6pm.  And i think it snowed another inch or so that night (based on what we saw at Soco Gap on Sunday)  but can't vouch for that.   All i can say is I was in light to mostly moderate to sometimes heavy snow from about 10am until after 8pm Saturday.  it was amazing the difference in a couple hundred feet of elevation.  While heavy ground (grass/tree) covering snow at 5400, almost nothing at 5000 (at least Sat during the day).   

Also learned a good lesson. Always bring sleeping bags, etc, even when its April 20 and you think you just might just chase to Highlands or something, because plans may change, and you may find yourself locked behind the gate at Soco gap above Maggie Valley on the Blue Ridge Parkway at 5000 feet in the dark at 8:30 with snow pouring.  Also, pay attention to mile markers so you can tell someone exactly where you are if you have to call someone.  I won't go into all the details, but we made it down, and I am thankful to whoever was in the silver Tundra? that showed us a back way off the parkway.  What's odd is that when we went back Sunday, there was an additional gate that was closed that was not closed Saturday night.  if that second gate had been closed i guess we may have had to camp overnight in the truck!  My daughter actually enjoyed the excitement, so that was good, and it actually was a rush, but I'm just glad i didn't learn this lesson in say January or Feb!

image.png.c3341555c40b189ef916ad0b6bf43fbb.pngimage.png.151961c943e8c3bd4b0d23a5c7779d9f.pngimage.png.08e0ff550f7e8b209a31ef96eabd678b.png

• Like 9

5 hours ago, NGTim said:

Wound up at 5400 at the entrance to Mile High Campground just off the Blue Ridge Parkway above Maggie Valley, and measured 4 inches of snow in one spot Saturday around 6pm.  And i think it snowed another inch or so that night (based on what we saw at Soco Gap on Sunday)  but can't vouch for that.   All i can say is I was in light to mostly moderate to sometimes heavy snow from about 10am until after 8pm Saturday.  it was amazing the difference in a couple hundred feet of elevation.  While heavy ground (grass/tree) covering snow at 5400, almost nothing at 5000 (at least Sat during the day).   

Also learned a good lesson. Always bring sleeping bags, etc, even when its April 20 and you think you just might just chase to Highlands or something, because plans may change, and you may find yourself locked behind the gate at Soco gap above Maggie Valley on the Blue Ridge Parkway at 5000 feet in the dark at 8:30 with snow pouring.  Also, pay attention to mile markers so you can tell someone exactly where you are if you have to call someone.  I won't go into all the details, but we made it down, and I am thankful to whoever was in the silver Tundra? that showed us a back way off the parkway.  What's odd is that when we went back Sunday, there was an additional gate that was closed that was not closed Saturday night.  if that second gate had been closed i guess we may have had to camp overnight in the truck!  My daughter actually enjoyed the excitement, so that was good, and it actually was a rush, but I'm just glad i didn't learn this lesson in say January or Feb!

image.png.c3341555c40b189ef916ad0b6bf43fbb.pngimage.png.151961c943e8c3bd4b0d23a5c7779d9f.pngimage.png.08e0ff550f7e8b209a31ef96eabd678b.png

Great score man! You can just about always count on Haywood county to bring the goods from Balsam,  Maggie valley, Crabtree, Fines Creek, and Max Patch. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, Snowacane said:

forgot to give a shoutout. among all the things i looked at (including looking at radar, other posts, and actually trying to look at the HRRR on an iphone se) this is the post I saw when i was making the decision to head up the mountain to Highlands or just continue up 441 and go to Maggie Valley.

• Like 1