• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

Tennessee faired better in the tourney than i thought given that Purdue was probably playing as good or better basketball than anyone in tourney.   I feel that had purdue been in an opposing bracket it would be UVA/Purdue eventually.  

• Like 1

Rick Barnes just doesn't get it done in the post season. That's a big part of why Texas moved on. At this point I hope he stabilizes the program for a few more years, then retires with good players in place and the job is attractive to a good coach. We've not had a smooth coaching transition without some kind of drama, ever. Ray Mears suddenly retired before anyone thought he would. Don DeVoe was fired. Wade Houston was fired with talent at an all time low. Kevin O'Neil fought with the AD the whole time he was here before suddenly quitting and taking another job. Jerry Green was fired after collapsing his final season. Buzz Peterson was fired for incompetence. Bruce was fired because of the NCAA deal. Cuonzo tanked it for 2.9 years, had a hot tourney and then quit. Turns out 3 years is his max everywhere. Tyndall was a disaster before he flamed out. It'd be nice to have a coach stay here, and then retire normally.

Women's program also fell harder than the Soviet Union. Hopefully the new AD helps in all these matters including football. That last guy was a jackass. He was so toxic at K-State (KU in state rival) that we actually felt bad for K-State. Glad he's out of Tenn.

• Like 1

Didn't get to watch the game because of my sons Regional Gymnastics Meet in Alachua,FL.The reception was just plain horrid.That was good anyways,it's easier to digest the loss and move on.

But i was more happier with my sons meet results.My son competed with 90 gymnast through out the Southeast.He came in 4th place.

We're going to Reno baby !!Junior Olympic National Championship :)

https://www.jonationals.com/men/

• Like 5

Congrats trip to Reno! Figure your son's gymnastics is more important anyway.

Still the refs blew a double dribble committed by Virginia. Would have never been in the 3-point foul situation in the first place. Yeah, it was a foul, but never should have gotten to that point. NCAA continues to lose credibility for many.

• Like 1

They got rid of Bob Yarborough too. I guess they are cost cutting with veterans.

Glad Rick Barnes came back, surprised to see him pull the seeking job to get a raise card. I guess maybe he's not as financially stable as you'd expect a 64 year old that makes millions every year to be. He's now paid more than Tom Izzo, Roy Williams and some other NC level coaches. He better raise the bar in his post seasons, though he's not very likely to manage that at this age. Still, the big pay bump shows the next coach after he retires that we are serious about the basketball program.

• Haha 1

Yeah at least Gregg Marshall got to the Final Four before Koch Industries bankrolled his salary at Wichita St. Marshall makes more than most Power 5 Conference coaches. Never hurts to ask!

My severe wx thoughts are in Southeast due to the target area mostly south of our Region.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Runman292 said:

Not sure where to put this, so I’ll put it here. Is there a website or 2 that can help me understand meteorology more? I see several folks involved in very detailed weather discussions, and I kinda feel left out just following the models and not taking part in the discussions.

You might want to start and look at habyhints.Lots of tools here.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2019 at 10:16 PM, Runman292 said:

Not sure where to put this, so I’ll put it here. Is there a website or 2 that can help me understand meteorology more? I see several folks involved in very detailed weather discussions, and I kinda feel left out just following the models and not taking part in the discussions.

I recommend getting a Twitter account.  I only use mine for wx purposes only.   I usually find some of the mets from this forum and then follow the people that they follow.  I read a lot from other forums as it seems that each forum has some really, really good posters.  Pay for a good map suite, even if just for the season of your choice.  I also read discussions from CPC, MRX, etc.  The government weather services have some really good products.   But your best resource IMHO?  This sub-forum.  It has been quiet because winter ended early.   Some truly outstanding posters on this forum along with some outstanding mets.  The biggest thing...don't be afraid to discuss and don't be afraid to be wrong....and read everything that you can get your hands from quality sources.  Even still, my knowledge is gappy at times.  I really like pattern recognition in the d5-15 range and even further.  However, when folks start talking about the various waves(think HM)....my head starts swimming.  I still don't completely understand all of the nuances that happen in EurAsia(mountain torque, pressure in eastern Siberia, etc) that impact our weather here.  It has taken quite a while for me to get a handle on how the MJO works, and I still have a ton of work to do there.  I think one area that really helped is that I took a meteorology class at UT as an elective.   My professor was TJ Blasing.  I think he also worked at ORNL.  He taught us basic stuff which I still remember today.  Just goes to show how important teachers are...I still remember him teaching us hw cold fronts work(cross section stuff) and warm fronts work.  He taught us the physics of high and low pressure and how they work as you get higher in the atmosphere.  He taught us how to read actually met produced weather maps.  And he also showed us how to look at the atmosphere from a 3-D perspective and not just looking straight down at things from a satellite perspective.  He wouldn't remember me from Adam, but I really enjoyed his class.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thursday June 6 looks like the biggest waste of wind shear in the history of Dixie. OK maybe not all history, but turning with height is solid and speed is unseasonably robust. However so much ongoing rain will squash it. Also a mesolow with possible boundary is consistently forecast in Alabama. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry!

So, I banter like the wasted storm track in winter. We do that on the severe side too, lol!

• Like 1

Hi all, hope everyone is well!!

Sooooo all that snow I kept wanting in winter, I got plenty on my camping trip to the southwest this year.  Wasn't able to keep up with much of the Plains storm chasing folks, but I have to think that the big upper lows that kept rolling over my head in AZ, UT, and CO, must have been good for them. Also got to see the flooding of the Arkansas on the way back and maaaannnn, that looked awful. 

Can't say I'm unhappy to have missed all the heat here in TN Valley, but looks like at least the precip (but maybe not the interesting weather) has followed me back from the SW.

Here are some pics of the snow and the skies:

https://imgur.com/a/0Go5TdR 

Great group of students this year and some of the adverse weather seems to have made them closer than ever. It's amazing how little snow it takes to crush a tent, lol. 

• Like 2

Snow always makes life better! Yes the Plains produced though many days were sloppy. We had a good chase day, documented Central/West May 22 thread. We had one slop-out, and a stupid bust. Caught the end of the SER heat back here in Tenn. Now I'm not sure if I like the cooler temps, because humidity is now ludicrous. Last weekend dry but only moderate heat was optimal. 

Wow those pictures! I really really need to get back out West.

• Like 1

Already over the humidity too!

Learned a little about Grand Canyon North Rim's micro climates too. The whole Kaibab Plateau runs NW to SE and makes for some lovely orographic lift if there is a SW flow. I had some access to Tropical Tidbits and weathermodels and was watching the RGEM and Euro. Both suggested that a front would swing through and give a good burst of snow between 1 and 4 PM on May 19. So I told my hikers to try to be back by around 2 PM (some had started at 5 AM) and that we'd get maybe a heavy dusting and it would look scary for a bit and then it would be more convection/ hit and miss type stuff as the upper low/ cold pool swung through. 

I was 100% wrong, lol!

Upper low spun to the north and kept that SW flow aimed perpendicular at the 8500 foot plateau. Ended up with 4 - 6 inches by the next AM.  Amazing how little snow it takes to crush a tent (2 wet inches by 3 PM)! There were some people doing rim-to-rim-to-rim since it was opening weekend (not in my group) and maaannnnn, some of them were not prepared. Me and a friend went down into the canyon to make sure all the students made it back and saw some people (not ours) doing the hike in shorts and cotton t-shirts. They were soaked and cold. Some of them were somewhat delirious, but search and rescue was waiting at the top of the trail. Luckily everyone in my group was safe. Aramark did a good thing that evening too and had a free Prime Rib/ soup/ sandwich/ salad buffet for everyone at North Rim! 

My friend met a Canadian couple at the top of the trail who she let warm up in our van and they were so thankful that they gave two, $300.00 cabins to our students for the night.  

Image is me trying to salvage a tent.

IMG_7268.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Already over the humidity too!

Learned a little about Grand Canyon North Rim's micro climates too. The whole Kaibab Plateau runs NW to SE and makes for some lovely orographic lift if there is a SW flow. I had some access to Tropical Tidbits and weathermodels and was watching the RGEM and Euro. Both suggested that a front would swing through and give a good burst of snow between 1 and 4 PM on May 19. So I told my hikers to try to be back by around 2 PM (some had started at 5 AM) and that we'd get maybe a heavy dusting and it would look scary for a bit and then it would be more convection/ hit and miss type stuff as the upper low/ cold pool swung through. 

I was 100% wrong, lol!

Upper low spun to the north and kept that SW flow aimed perpendicular at the 8500 foot plateau. Ended up with 4 - 6 inches by the next AM.  Amazing how little snow it takes to crush a tent (2 wet inches by 3 PM)! There were some people doing rim-to-rim-to-rim since it was opening weekend (not in my group) and maaannnnn, some of them were not prepared. Me and a friend went down into the canyon to make sure all the students made it back and saw some people (not ours) doing the hike in shorts and cotton t-shirts. They were soaked and cold. Some of them were somewhat delirious, but search and rescue was waiting at the top of the trail. Luckily everyone in my group was safe. Aramark did a good thing that evening too and had a free Prime Rib/ soup/ sandwich/ salad buffet for everyone at North Rim! 

My friend met a Canadian couple at the top of the trail who she let warm up in our van and they were so thankful that they gave two, $300.00 cabins to our students for the night.  

Image is me trying to salvage a tent.

IMG_7268.JPG

Nature still does not care. A real life experience.

Glad no one got hurt!

• Like 1

Surface low passing over Chattanooga; so, the best weather will be elsewhere. Reminds me of winter, lol!

FIFA Women's World Cup starts this afternoon. USA first match is Tuesday. Time to let weather go and absorb all the soccer. Also NPSL is in the heart of their regular season. Think Chattanooga FC and Inter Nashville FC, who play this weekend.

• Like 1

Somebody tweeted this is like a Greek Tragedy play. Despite NOAA claims the FV3 is better, the energy industry believes it is worse than the GFS. Opinions are our own, not of our employers. Still I think it's a sick joke!

I just can't figure out what crony is benefiting. Most government mistakes are due to cronyism. This one is not. I mean it's NOAA vs NOAA so I guess just an honest and huge mistake. Think Hubble Space Telescope mirror.