• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

15 hours ago, EastKnox said:

I tried to identify some dams from this map.

image.png.40ddf94fb5779bdc5bac5f0571dac397.png

Norris is the red line with the fork just to the left of Knoxville, that's the Powell and Clinch meeting at the fork.  The other red line that you are showing as Fontana is very likely the New River/Emory/Obed that originates in Western Campbell and Scott and works south through canyons on the Plateau.  I think it makes Watts Bar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Norris is the red line with the fork just to the left of Knoxville, that's the Powell and Clinch meeting at the fork.  The other red line that you are showing as Fontana is very likely the New River/Emory/Obed that originates in Western Campbell and Scott and works south through canyons on the Plateau.  I think it makes Watts Bar. 

That's why I put question marks because it doesn't exactly line up (obviously the map isn't designed to be to scale). The vertical drops seem to match dam heights, but the placement relative to other features doesn't seem to fit in correctly.  Here are some longitude coordinates of the dams:  Norris: -84.1, Fontana: -83.8, Ft. Loudoun: -84.2, Chickamauga: -85.2, Watts Bar: -84.8.  Also interesting in this graphic, Knoxville is set too far east.  On the map it is -83.4ish, in reality it is -83.8 (confluence of Holston and French Broad Rivers).  Weather must be slow when we are dissecting a river watershed graphic. :D

• Like 1

Norris is around 840 feet at the bottom of the dam and is 1080 across the top. Looks like they are using the bottom as the elevation on it at least. I just recognize it because of the two Rivers and I know once it  becomes the clinch again below the dam it works it's way towards Oak Ridge and deep west Knox where it shows it going in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Good game, @jaxjagman.  Your Tigers hustled and wouldn't quit. Nice game plan as well.  That is a Tiger team that could win a few in the tourney if they play the way they did today.

We are like a Jekyll and Hyde team.When we play good, we can beat anyone.When we play bad we can lose to anyone,don't matter who it is.I didn't get to watch much of the game.The gym my son had his comp. at today had terrible internet connection :(.Thanks for the props though.But if the game was played at yalls house the outcome  probably would have been different.

My son did well today which made my day today.He made the Tennessee All-Elite team,level 10's, Which is the highest level in gymnastics,before college :)

• Like 2

Congratulations Jax and your son! Make Gymnastics great again, lol.

So what y'all are saying is Tennessee and Auburn are like Kansas. Depends on the day. We all blow chunks on the road. Play excellent at home. Neutral I think is not bad. Home crowd is missed; but, freshmen are not subject to a hostile crowd either. The intense energetic team just has to show up.

Kentucky must be frustrated with the results, missing a share of the regular season title. Figure UK would rather their rival UT win, to get a share of the SEC title. As usual I look for Kentucky to make a deep run in the Tournament. 

From the main spring thread, regarding cold head fakes the past winter. Yeah it's like winning a great game at home, only to get crushed on the road!

• Like 2

Just some amazing departures from normal.  If we had any type of mechanism to send this south to accompany the firehouse...again, incredible cold and snow.  Twenty-eight degrees BN for the month!?  Remember those crazy maps with those incredible departures?  Looks like they verified in some places.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Montana-just-endured-one-of-the-nation-s-most-13679719.php

15 hours ago, John1122 said:

Someday this will happen again. I honestly feel like a lot of these totals are underdone. Most all of CC was over 18 inches in the storm. Above 2500 was 36+ here. I believe Oak Ridge was at 18 too, much more than this map seems to imply.

FB_IMG_1552447615273.jpg

Some of those totals seem a little low, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I think the Greeneville total is pretty accurate. That 21.0 in Greene Co. was likely from the UT Experiment Station. They used to keep daily hand written records.  The two biggest snows I saw in their data were 21” in 1993 and 18” in 1998.

• Like 3

The February/March snow amounts in the Mountain West have been HUGE even by their standards.  A poster from Idaho over in VolQuest noted they received 110" in Island Park Idaho which is just a few minutes from West Yellowstone.  Smashed the old monthly record by like 30 inches. Above is the Madison River.  Those snow banks along the river rival anything that I have seen them post.  Evidently, the snow banks are getting so deep that folks are having difficulty exiting certain sections of the river.  Yes, folks fish it during the winter.  Great midge hatches.  Below that is my absolute favorite fly shop on the planet, Blue Ribbon Flies.  I mean the get snow...but that is just sick.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 1:59 AM, jaxjagman said:

We are like a Jekyll and Hyde team.When we play good, we can beat anyone.When we play bad we can lose to anyone,don't matter who it is.I didn't get to watch much of the game.The gym my son had his comp. at today had terrible internet connection :(.Thanks for the props though.But if the game was played at yalls house the outcome  probably would have been different.

My son did well today which made my day today.He made the Tennessee All-Elite team,level 10's, Which is the highest level in gymnastics,before college :)

Another great win for Auburn.  What is crazy is that most of us prior to the season thought the league title would come down to Auburn and Tennessee.  Not sure any of us saw the scenario coming that unfolded over the weekend. UT stole a game from UK.  Auburn won four games in four days!  The three-ball shooting by the Tigers means you all are never out of a game.  Florida looked pretty good against you all, and had a four point lead early.  Tigers drained two threes and then had the lead.  Happened during a span of like ten seconds (made three, turnover, made three).  You all should be fun to watch in the tourney.  Tough to guard so many guys that can hit NBA 3s.  Congratulations to your Tigers and good luck in the tourney.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Another great win for Auburn.  What is crazy is that most of us prior to the season thought the league title would come down to Auburn and Tennessee.  Not sure any of us saw the scenario coming that unfolded over the weekend. UT stole a game from UK.  Auburn won four games in four days!  The three-ball shooting by the Tigers means you all are never out of a game.  Florida looked pretty good against you all, and had a four point lead early.  Tigers drained two threes and then had the lead.  Happened during a span of like ten seconds (made three, turnover, made three).  You all should be fun to watch in the tourney.  Tough to guard so many guys that can hit NBA 3s.  Congratulations to your Tigers and good luck in the tourney.

Harper was amazing during this tourney,when he plays good and don't turn the ball over we can beat anyone.Our D played great today causing you guys to have 17 turnovers compared to our 6.Thanks for the kudos.When it got down to about 10 minutes i was waiting on the melt down,you guys have a good team.We got the #5 seed and play New Mexico St then more than likely will be paying Kansas, Jeff's team.I was hoping to get higher than a #5 seed but it is what it is

• Like 3

Basketball is such a strange sport.In football i always root for any SEC team or for that matter any other team losing.It's where rankings mean more than basketball.In basketball it comes down to the big dance and making the tourney.Rankings don't mean squat in basketball,it's how you play in the end.Everyone is equal has has that chance.

• Like 3

Tennessee could have been physically tired after Kentucky. Explains errant shooting and difficulty defending Auburn's spread out attack. I really doubt Tennessee was mentally hung over after the big Kentucky game; everybody knows one more game. Probably more physical. Still, hats off to Auburn for running and gunning. Yes, they are fun to watch!

I'm at a loss for Kansas choking in KC which should be like a second home court. It's not the Phog (Allen FH) but it it's friendly. Some fans wished K-State was the opponent, to settle the regular season split and spoil a bit of their reg season title. Maybe KU just was not interested in Iowa St. KU had more points in the paint, but every ISO jumper fell. Then KU defense went soft as usual when behind. 

In contrast to KU giving up when behind, I was proud of Tennessee hanging in there when Kentucky opened up a several point lead. UT does not like to play from behind, but they did Saturday.

Kansas starts in SLC. Sweet 16 would be back in KC, but Auburn will probably beat KU and goto KC instead. Cheers!

• Like 2

Office should be a ghost town after lunch as Tennessee plays at 2:45 Eastern. Tomorrow Auburn and Kansas meet in SLC, for the right to play the Sweet 16 in Kansas City.  If Auburn is unconscious from 3-point land again, Kansas is doomed. If Kansas defense shows up KU should be able to score enough in and out of the paint.

Assuming UT wins today the Vols would face either Iowa or Cincy on Sunday. Iowa might be better considering the location for Cincy, and Cincy is tenacious. I think location is less important than play style. Unlike the SEC Final, UT will have more rest (games 2/3 days vs 3-straight). After the come-from-behind with UK, I think Tennessee can reach the Sweet 16.

Weather looks dreadfully boring the next 7-10 days (no moisture for severe and/or positive tilt) so I really hope we both advance to the following weekend. Jax probably wishes for Auburn the same thing for the same reason, lol! 

Daughter has spring break so I may not be on the board much. Everybody enjoy March Madness!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Office should be a ghost town after lunch as Tennessee plays at 2:45 Eastern. Tomorrow Auburn and Kansas meet in SLC, for the right to play the Sweet 16 in Kansas City.  If Auburn is unconscious from 3-point land again, Kansas is doomed. If Kansas defense shows up KU should be able to score enough in and out of the paint.

Assuming UT wins today the Vols would face either Iowa or Cincy on Sunday. Iowa might be better considering the location for Cincy, and Cincy is tenacious. I think location is less important than play style. Unlike the SEC Final, UT will have more rest (games 2/3 days vs 3-straight). After the come-from-behind with UK, I think Tennessee can reach the Sweet 16.

Weather looks dreadfully boring the next 7-10 days (no moisture for severe and/or positive tilt) so I really hope we both advance to the following weekend. Jax probably wishes for Auburn the same thing for the same reason, lol! 

Daughter has spring break so I may not be on the board much. Everybody enjoy March Madness!

Auburn almost gave the game to NMS.You could tell by the brutal stretch in the SEC tourney they were getting tired at the end of the game.Not knocking NMS by all means,they are a good team.Winning 16 straight going into the game is nothing to snooze at in any conference.

I can see the Kansas/Auburn game going either way.But if we play like we did yesterday,we will lose for sure.

Tn should have a decent shot going to the final 4,think  the toughest game will be Virginia.But you never know about the big dance,upsets will happen.

Far as Auburn/Kansas goes..lol..We The winner will face NC,then more than likely Ky.This is a brutal division..IMHO, compared to the rest

Congratulations Auburn.  If that unconscious shooting and tenacious D continues, Auburn can beat UNC and UK; but, I agree it's the bracket of death. KU couldn't get anything to fall. Wasn't altitude, FG shots were short not long.

Tennessee can beat Virginia if the right team shows up. First Iowa and likely Purdue. Go Vols!

• Like 1

Low and behold Auburn wins the bracket of death. Congratulations Auburn going their first Final Four! While Kansas was weakened, KU can still play very well. Auburn also beat UNC and Kentucky, both at full strength IIRC. Finally Auburn did that with an injury vs UK. One could argue Auburn also beat the officials that game.

As a Jayhawk, Auburn going to the Final Four makes our exit easier to swallow. KU lost to a Final Four team not a fluke. Ditto for our missing the Conference Championship to a Final Four team Texas Tech.

I'm hoping for a Texas Tech Auburn Final. I like MSU and Izzo; but, the other two have never been to a Final Four. Auburn can definitely beat UVA. I'm not so sure about TT and MSU. Hoping Tech can represent the Big 12 well!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Low and behold Auburn wins the bracket of death. Congratulations Auburn going their first Final Four! While Kansas was weakened, KU can still play very well. Auburn also beat UNC and Kentucky, both at full strength IIRC. Finally Auburn did that with an injury vs UK. One could argue Auburn also beat the officials that game.

Congrats to Auburn on their amazing run. It's a bit reminiscent of USCe's run to the Final Four in 2017: defeat one of the bluest of blue bloods in the Round of 32; defeat a conference foe in the Elite Eight. USCe is a bit more impressive in that they were a 7 seed; Auburn, meanwhile, is a bit more impressive in that they took down KU, UNC, and UK in consecutive games

UNC was a bit under full strength - Nassir Little was battling the flu and only played 13 min, scoring 4 pts (proof positive he's no Jordan, but he is evidently happy enough with his late first-round draft grade to be a one-and-done). Though he scored 20 and 19 in the first two games, there's no way his ineffectiveness made the difference. Auburn neutered our offense. Carolina loves to run, but they wanted none of that smoke.

I feel terrible about Okeke's injury as well. Auburn had to overcome losing a key cog in their offense AND, as you mentioned, unfavorable calls throughout much of the UK game.

Speaking of unfavorable calls, I feel like the no-call on the blatant offensive foul late in the UVA-Purdue game has been entirely glossed over. Purdue wins in regulation if that is appropriately whistled.

• Like 2